Author Topic: Manual Transmission is difficult to shift  (Read 6876 times)

FRITZ68

Manual Transmission is difficult to shift
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:04:36 »
I have a 1962 2dr HT Model 220 SEb and it is almost a perfect car with one exception.  Sometimes I have difficulties in getting it in or out of gear, especially between reverse and low.  We replaced the necessary parts within the shifting linkage, but I am wondering about the transmission fluid.  Does anyone know the type of fluid that would be correct for this car and where it can be located.  I am thinking that it is possible that the fluid has been changed at one time and maybe the wrong fluid was used.  The car has a manual floor shift.  Clutch is perfect along with everything else.  As an example, I back out of a driveway to turn around and it isn't easy to get the car out of reverse and into low gear.  One time I pulled into a drive on a country road and after backing out of the drive, was plenty concerned as I was unable to get the transmission out of reverse (car was in the middle of the road sideways as backed out of drive).  Normal shifting once the car is underway works just fine.  Looking for some advice. Thanks.

Fritz

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Manual Transmission is difficult to shift
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 15:14:09 »
You should use ATF in these standard gear boxes.  I use the Dextron/Mecon or similar. Make sure that the shift rod is "indexed" properly. The position of the rod and shifter can be adjusted forward or rearward and left or right. The cinch bolt on the single shift rod, can be loosened to reposition the splined shift rod shaft.Sometimes re-positioning the shifter gives you better range if your problem is difficulty in "reaching a gear". Another possibility is that the single shift rod going into the transmission top cover is bent. This can happen during installation of the engine/transmission.  The bent rod binds in the top cover of the transmission causing it to be difficult to move.

If you can explain the problem in more detail it would help. Any history? Is the problem moving the shifter or reaching a gear? Does it help to pump the clutch pedal when the problem occurs ?
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:27:07 »
In addition to what Joe said, your symptoms make me think your clutch is not actuating fully. If pumping is not helping, there is an adjustment out of the slave cylinder. Try lengthening the rod and see if it improves things.

FRITZ68

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 02:41:07 »
Thanks for the advice, which I will check into next week.  The clutch seems to be working perfectly.  The problem is usually when I have the car in reverse and then attempt to shift from reverse into low.  The shifter moves, but it is difficult to find low gear and just when I think I am in low, it is still in reverse. Otherwise the shifting from 1 to 2 to 3  to 4 is not a problem. 

Fritz

bsimaz

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 16:15:40 »
I had this same problem when restoring a '64 1/2 mustang.  Sometimes it would shift easy and sometimes you could not get it into any forward gears after shifting into reverse.  Ended up being a (quite) lose shift linkage.  The plates and spacers that connects the shift handle to the linkage bars were so lose that they would misalign and you couldn't shift into the forward gears.  I would have to pull the shift lever all the way over to reverse and that would re-align everything.  Then shifting was back to normal.

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 17:14:16 »
Sounds like the Mustang problem.  Can't think of a good pun.  The shift lever should not move without the gears moving directly simultainiously.  There are rubber washers and a rubber buffer built into the shift rod out of the tranny.  The 10mm bolts loosen, the rubber washers wear and the rubber buffer can break, especially if hit hard as in speed shifting.  I've been told MB built in a dampener effect in the top of the box.   The rods move in tight oiled bores, like shock absorbers: they will not shift fast like a mustang with a Hurst shifter.  I just r&r'd my clutch.  The linkage was surprisingly tightened up by snugging up the washers at the shft lever and at the tranny shift rod. 

It was already mentioned and would effect all gear shifts: These tranny's don't use normal manual tranny oil.  It is too heavy to woirk right and the trannys' sycros don't work with the heavy oil.  Instead they are designed to work with ATF, just good old fashened ATF. 
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 15:33:15 »
Make sure you checked all the shift bushings.  There are quite a few, more than just the two around the shifter ball.  Also the two large square rubber/plastic mountings. I count 14 plastic  bushings in all.  Remove the forward and rear covers, and move the shifter and watch to see where the excessive play occurs.  The position of the shifter lever and shift rod can be adjusted fore and aft, left and right, at the cinch bolt and spline arrangement near the front of the main rod. Be sure to use the  locking nut or cotter pin on the connector bolt at the front or they will come apart. Also be careful not to drop the hardware during dis-assembly. They will disappear in the dark abyss below!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback