Author Topic: New wheels  (Read 5594 times)

andres.pena1122

New wheels
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:32:27 »
I saw these 17s with a fellow local member's car and so they really caught my attention. He had the car on the market and I did a deal to acquire the wheels off him for £375 including tyres.

I have ordered a new number of tyres (Proxes T1Rs all round) for the reason that rears are down to the wear bars as well as the fronts are really old as well as despite having decent tread are pretty manky combined with rears being too high some sort of profile.

They may polarise opinion somewhat and I admit i always am not 100% myself as I prefer originality in reality. The original Griffiths came out from the factory with very similar wheels albeit within a smaller size. They don't appear to have upset the ride but they have crisped up the handling a great deal and they make it easier to get decent tyres as it is getting increasingly difficult (and expensive) to obtain decent rated tyres in 15 inches fronts!

I may end up keeping them for track days as i don't want to risk destroying my (increasingly hard to replace) original factory OZ Imola wheels (which We still have).

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Re: New wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:17:23 »
Andres

On the way to perfection in originality one doesn't have to become a maniac ;).

I am somewhat more relaxed as far as current cars or even youngtimers are concerned. We have discussed at length the question around consumable items in our vintage Pagodas, such as batteries, bulbs or even tyres, and more importantly security belts. I feel that there is nothing wrong in using modern adequate parts in the consumable area. I wonder how many Pagoda owners use the "correct" tyres (I guess the only one (hardly) available are the Michelins, which anyway were used in Europe only). I bet that less than 5% of them. Also, some purist would even consider the Fuchs alloy wheels as not adequate for Pagodas, even though they were proposed as an option by Mercedes themselves.

Having said that I have very mixed feelings (mostly negative) when I see a Pagoda "on steroids" although I respect the choice of the owner.

In the case of your car, the wheels look absolutely great and this is what matters :)
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: New wheels
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 20:49:16 »
Andres,

Are you talking about them being on your Pagoda, and if so do you have a photo to share of that?

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric