Author Topic: Rotating Domelight  (Read 6300 times)

Blau3.5coupe

Rotating Domelight
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:00 »
I'm looking for a used front rotating domelight for my 1970 3.5 coupe.  Does anyone have one available?

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Re: Rotating Domelight
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 13:41:59 »
On this forum you can only expect the softop version ;D
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

m300cab

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Pennington New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 23:43:29 »
not neccessarily
Michael Parlato

ricrose

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 02:28:05 »
Long Shot - not sure what they are from - but here goes.

When I bought my car a few years ago a PO had installed 4 (!) dome lights as courtesy lights as there is an air conditioner and no original light. Two were in the parcel shelf and one in each footwell.

I have no idea what they are from, but they are Hella, they are dome lights and they do rotate.

There is a tin chromed base - 103mm in dia, a plastic insert with Hella moulded on and it takes a festoon lamp. The lamp turns on and off by rotating the plastic lens.

Any idea if it is close to what you are looking for?  ???

Richard

Blau3.5coupe

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 04:54:08 »
Hi, Richard

The light you suggested is not what I'm looking for.  Just to clarify, I have a (W111-026) chassis car.  This domelight rotates on 3 axis, they were also used on the late model W108, W109 chassis sedans. 

Thanks for your helpful idea.

Glen,

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 14:42:50 »
Found one in my collection.
Sent you a PM.
Best,
Walter

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:08:14 »
I have a few of those.  Kind of depends on how nice you want it to be.  They get very pitted sometimes.  And the plastic lens melts sometimes when people put in the wrong bulb...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Bob G

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 21:27:04 »
Walter are you talking about the energy lamp that plugs in to the fire wall receptor?
Or is it some thing else ?  can you  send me a picture I might be interested?
Sincerely
Bob Geco

Marrs

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 04:37:26 »
Just to clarify, I have a (W111-026) chassis car.  This domelight rotates on 3 axis, they were also used on the late model W108, W109 chassis sedans. 

Hi, for a coupe I am only familiar with the front dome light that has a chrome door that slides up and can be set in one of three positions for (1) off, (2) on when driver's door is open and (3) always-on. It only moves along one axis however, and that's just the door not the light or lens. The rear unit is static with no moving parts and is controlled by the switch on the dash. If you have a ball-type light with 3-axis movement I wonder if perhaps it is aftermarket? I've bought from Scoot before, has good stuff for a driver, but if you want as-new for a resto you can buy them on eBay and probably the Classic Center. This is the front unit I am speaking of: