Author Topic: 280SL soft top replacement project  (Read 8312 times)

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
280SL soft top replacement project
« on: September 02, 2013, 21:04:08 »
Dear All,
I am about to start on a soft top replacement project for my 1970 280SL. The car is a very low mileage (68K) one and has spent its whole life in AZ so that the frame itself is in almost new condition, but the fabric is totally dried out and shrunk to the point that it cannot be fastened--it wasn't raised for almost 30 years.
Having searched previous posts as well as looked at suppliers, I'm really at a loss as to which dealer and what type of fabric I should purchase. I would very much appreciate your comments and advice on this project.
Ricardo

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: 280SL soft top replacement project
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 22:52:35 »
Hi Ricardo,

I recommend you make a search here on the forum simply search for "soft top" you will find that there are many threads regarding this subject.

One link that may be of interest to you is below.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18978.msg132657;topicseen#msg132657
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:18:17 »
This link may help.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=12179.0

If you scroll down you'll find the link to the album that contains something like 250 pics of how to do this job.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 19:14:40 »
Thank you both for your comments and advice. I'm presently leaning towards GAHH's Sonnendeck version--about $540.00. As for doing it myself... well, I spoke to two upholstery shops which have done work for me in the past and they estimate that the job will take between 8 and 100 hrs., so I think that it's probably best for me (and the car) if I entrust them with the installation. Both mentioned the wisdom of replacing the straps/elastic as well as the two multistrand cables. When I place my order I will inquire as to whether the former comes with the top or if it's a separate kit. I suppose the cables aren't included.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 19:59:21 »
Thank you both for your comments and advice. I'm presently leaning towards GAHH's Sonnendeck version--about $540.00. As for doing it myself... well, I spoke to two upholstery shops which have done work for me in the past and they estimate that the job will take between 8 and 100 hrs., so I think that it's probably best for me (and the car) if I entrust them with the installation. Both mentioned the wisdom of replacing the straps/elastic as well as the two multistrand cables. When I place my order I will inquire as to whether the former comes with the top or if it's a separate kit. I suppose the cables aren't included.

I'm sorry - 100 hours? That must be 10 hours. Took me a day. (Edit: Actually, I think it took 3, but I really took my time).

If you have someone you trust to do the work, provided they're billing you a sane hourly rate, then go for it.

You must replace the cables and the straps at the same time. The cables from Cabrio.de came with the top, as did the straps.

The advantage of doing it yourself is that you can clean up the frame to the standard you like, rather than pay someone to rub metal for you. So, I'd recommend thinking about stripping off the old top yourself, cleaning up the frame if you want to, and then taking the car to your experts. Just be careful marking where the top sat in the well, as it will help the installer. It will need to move a little, so it's not vital that it's perfect, but a good idea of how the hood sat will help, I think. I took my hood completely off to clean it up and was glad I did.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 21:32:11 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 20:56:59 »
....  I'm presently leaning towards GAHH's Sonnendeck version--about $540.00. ......
Are you aware that this is not the original canvas material?
Although it is sold by Haartz as a "superior quality Twillfast with German backing to simulate original German canvas"  note that it says "simulate".
GAHH also makes tops from a Haartz product they call "German" (http://www.gahh.com/sample/SampleColors/GermanClassic/German-Classic.html).
It is the original "Sonnenland" canvas for our cars: http://www.haartz.com/en/products/convertible_toppings/cloth/sonnenland_classic.asp.

Before you commit you should also get a quote from GAT, they make well fitting tops using "Sonnenland":
http://www.germanautotops.com/mercedes-benz/mercedes-convertible-tops
just make sure to get the cables and straps also.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 21:45:17 »
Ooops, yes, eight to ten hours. One shop quoted $600, the other $70 per hour.
I will speak to GAHH about all the options prior to placing the order, sometime this week.

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 21:59:10 »
Just looked again at GAT's website (thank you Alfred), their choices are certainly varied and their prices very competitive. I bought seat material from them in the past and was quite pleased. It looks like I better spend time on the phone with both GAT and GAHH before making a decision.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 22:02:01 »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 22:12:20 »
Cabrio.de makes very well fitting tops also but the shipping costs will be steep.

Ferrolanoman if you search the site here you'll find many members who were quite pleased with what they received from GAT: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=17876.msg124359
at a very competitive price.
GAHH charges you retail prices, but they sell for about 30% less to upholsterers. So your shop might get it cheaper, then it does not need to charge you $600 per hour!! (Or was that a typo?)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 05:16:20 »
Hi, I wa lucky, I ordered the cheapest top from LA.  I think it was ~$350 on sale 3 years ago.  I had it is a box in the trunk and was driving the car around our circle, fresj out of a 3 year garaged rest, when my Stuttgart German neighbor Gisela was on a walk with her visiting brother stopped me.  He is a MB restorer / upholstery guy who speakes just enough English.  She told me he was coming but that he 'worked on Mercedes'  i thought he was a mechanic.  In a febal atempt to communicate I got out, opened the truck and broke out the new top.  He just starred at me and finally started to say "I'm on vacation, but if you have a few cases of good beer, I'll watch you put it on."

It is a little tricky in lining up the ribs. getting the front bead tight against the front lip and most of all the back rim takes extra car to tuck under the frame and some guessing as to how tight to make the gable. 

I had my top replace 3 times over 30 years.  My job was the best.  The shops were in Silicon Valley, Sunnyvale and Mt. View.  Shops that had plenty of opportunity to replace sl tops, but each time, each shop screwed something that I was far from perfect.  The worst, the front lip was so far from the window frame that it whistled at 50mph.  I had to unscrew, unglue and eliminate the gap.  I was afraid to take it back.  If they couldn't do it the first time, why waist more time teaching them how to do it?  I just get tired of paying good money for ordinary work on an exceptional car.
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S