Author Topic: Another paint question  (Read 6152 times)

230slhouston

Another paint question
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:33:46 »
This may have been answered many times...I apologize if it is a repeat.
Getting close to painting and talking with paint shop. I want to go with Glasurit which is $$$$. Another option suggested is RM Diamont. Both are BASF products and told quality is comparable.
I called the supplier and BASF, was told if the car is a solid color which mine is (050-white) Diamont will be equally good.

Has anyone had their car painted with this product, how is the finish and durability?

Also thinking of going base coat/clear coat rather than single stage. I am in Texas, any suggestion here considering the heat?

Thanks folks......disposable cash is getting tighter with 1 daughter in college and another a year away,  ;D still trying to be ready for next summer.

Regards,
Maistran

Khurram Darugar

Re: Another paint question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:03:01 »
The prices for glasurite 55 line are more reflective of the classic car status rather than inherant quality. Most mid range 2 stage paints that use a catalyst are similar in quality.  Some of the hugh end clears do offer more durability for more $'s.

If you can figure out a way to get your paint matched to the correct colour, i guess you could save a few $'s.  2 stage is superior/more durable over single stage.  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:07:09 by SilverSL »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:46 »
Maistran,

Just out of curiousity, I went to an on-line supplier of both Diamont and Glasurit to compare prices.  The supplier was Painter's Edge.  The Glasurit in a gallon is $652.00; the Diamont is $458.00.  That is a substantial difference--particularly when you add in all the prep chemicals, primers, thinners, reducers etc. that one typically buys to do a complete job. My wild guess here is that the Glasurit materials will cost close to 50% more than Diamont. The Diamont is by no means inexpensive, but just less costly than Glasurit.

Now step back for a moment...the price differential becomes less significant when you consider that the materials are but a part of the overall cost of a paint job.

The better paint and body shops stick with one brand and have their own mixing system to ensure color matching. Go with what your painter is going to suggest to you--after you have reviewed his work and are comfortable with the results.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

George Des

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:45:41 »
Len Stuart runs an autobody and paint website that has lots of discussions on various types and brands of paints. Before I painted my 67 230SL in DB White several years ago, I spent lots of time going through these discussions before settling on a paint system. Most of the modern catalyzed paints are very similar in color hold out and durability. All the shops have their particular favorites based on cost, ease of application, product support and availability. Len is a proponent of Glasurit but acknowledges that other companies like PPG, R&M, Sherwin Williams, DuPont, etc all have their proponents as well. In the end, I went with single stage PPG polyurethane and PPG undercoat products such as epoxy primer and primer surfacer and have been happy with the results. A big part of my decision was based on the discussions I read through on Len's website as well as the availability and support in the area in which I was living when I did the job. Hope this helps.

George

230slhouston

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 19:13:39 »
Thanks for the reply. Painter says he uses BASF products - Glasurit or Diamont, choice is mine but says in solid colors both are equally good to use especially if it is a solid color. I checked the site painters edge and called them as well...not much help except to say both are good. I have no issue coughing up the extra for Galsurit but want to make sure I make the right paint choice...more money may not mean better quality. Anyone had there car painted with Diamont, are you happy with the finish?

Follow up question, how will i know if the paint mix is the right color, I am told they would just use the formula quoted by the paint manufacture for 050. I have nothing to compare this against to see if the shade is correct. My car paint is 47 years old, i am sure it has faded. Referred me to the site http://color-explorer.rmpaint.com/. Will this mix give the right color?

Thanks

Bob G

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 20:31:47 »
Are you door jambs faded to? take a little polish and use that to match the paint on the car.I will be facing the same problem  on my 1968 280SL. It already has been paint three shades of beige it was ordered with DB 158 white Grey but that is not the color that is on the car I checked the engine bay as well same color is it possible that when my father picked up the car European delivery they screwed up. I have no color picture when it was new  so I ready do not know what happened.
Bob Geco

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 20:49:29 »
 My 280SL is 050 and the paint is original with no oxidation, fading or yellowing (car was always covered or garaged except when out on the road:-). I bought  some touch up paint from MB a couple of years ago to touch up a small chip below the grill. It was a perfect match.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

George Des

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 22:41:45 »
The PPG Deltron in 050'was also a perfect match on mine

230slhouston

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 15:44:02 »
Thanks folks for your reply.

George, if I understand you correctly, 050 mixed using the PPG computer codes gave the correct match.

Depending on whether i use Glasurit or Diamont, I will get a computer mixed sample to check against door jambs.

Regards,

George Des

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 16:05:26 »
Yes, that is correct. The PPG was mixed according to the DB code.