Author Topic: Great Fuel Pump Price!  (Read 21494 times)

KevinC

Great Fuel Pump Price!
« on: August 08, 2013, 21:12:04 »
Not sure if this belongs in "...other vendor experiences" but felt I should post here in the event it is a service to other owners. Check out the price on a NEW Bosch fuel pump...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_fuel-pump-bosch_10116715-p?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=true&vehicleIdSearch=-1&searchTerm=69651&showTitle=

seattle_Jerry

Re: Great Fuel Pump Price!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:48:54 »
looks different...does it fit?

KevinC

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 14:55:35 »
I ordered one. It was sent directly from Bosch's facility in Atlanta. Same box, item number, etc. Identical. Installed and runs fine.

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 15:01:37 »
Nevertheless, when I put the Mercedes 280 sl details it answered that this product doesn't fit this car
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

KevinC

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 16:24:04 »
Right. That's why I was skeptical myself and the only way to satisfy my curiosity was to order one! Interestingly, they are having a 15% off sale ($50 US) through tomorrow!

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 11:44:37 »
Kevin, since youve had it for a while now has this fuel pump continued to perform correctly? We're there any issues with it fitting properly when you installed it?
Mark

KevinC

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 15:46:59 »
No issues. It is THE correct pump for our cars (#69651). Unfortunately I believe that they are now saying its out of stock. 

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 16:52:31 »
It's on Amazon for around $570 if you need one.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Louis

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 17:08:55 by Louis »

Louis

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 17:07:41 »
And to see all the variety of prices : http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=bosch+69651&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_rdc=1   ???

Advance Auto parts is obviously the best deal as of this posting ! 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 18:40:37 »
Yes, under $400 from a respected retailer is a great price.  Some NOS/NIB on eBay can be less than that. When the task of rebuilding is a few simple parts, I can easily understand going that route.  Some however are struggling with great efforts at rebuilding--with stripped screws, leaks after rebuild, and more.

just remember the new replacement part is available, and there's a good chance it might outlive all of us. This pump can last decades...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 20:19:57 »
The part number on the pump that Kevin shows in his pictures matches the one I purchased from MB exactly. I tried ordering one from Advance and there are none available now. :( Early bird gets the worm.....
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

George Des

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 22:09:43 »
That is a jump on it now price if you need one. Michael is right. Properly taken care of , these pumps will last a long time. Clean fuel and not letting the car sit idle is the key. As far as rebuilds go, this pump is much easier to deal with than the large style pump, but many a good pump is ruined beyond repair by someone tampering with the screws that won't budge.

jedwards

Alternative /temporary Fuel Pump
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 04:39:06 »
For those looking for a reliable fuel pump to install while restoring your original pump, you might want to consider the  Walbro GCL608.
It can handle and 56 gallons per hour and up to 73PSI so is well suited to the needs of our fuel injection system.  I fitted mine without need for any alterations and it works perfectly and is super quiet.
At under $100 they seem ideal.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:06:55 by 280SL71 »

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Re: Alternative /temporary Fuel Pump
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:21 »
You`ve got my attention - where do I get one?
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 09:28:16 »
George,

I tried to jump on it - with both feet-  but sadly  they don`t seem to ship outside the US. Unfortunately I think mine is toast as the brush holders have broken loose and I cannot see a way of re attaching them. As they say in a Toyota ad that was popular over here a while back - bugga
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Alternative /temporary Fuel Pump
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:19:03 »
Hi,
another alternative is this pump Pierburg E1F 7.21440.78.0, ~100 Euros.
...WRe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 13:21:06 »
There probably is a suitable replacement electric pump that properly installed, would supply all the volume and pressure flow needed. I'm sure this has been done, but by who, where and if documented I can't tell you.

Many years ago, when I was helping to R&R our family's 1966 Cooper S, we were at once befuddled and annoyed at the lousy SU fuel pump; and, like many here, were not flush with cash to go out and buy what was then the expensive and hard to get replacement. We did a little bit of research and ended up with a nice, made in the USA Stewart-Warner pump, augmented by a small fuel pressure regulator. The combo was much better in quality than the SU, a lot less costly, too.

In our world today, the Bosch pump is, in a couple of words, incredibly expensive with general retail going in the $600-$700 range. That's the bad news; the good news is the quality is excellent. Most people forced to work with their fuel pumps giving them issues are not trying to repair something a few years old, but a few decades old. As I mentioned in the last post, one of these new (properly maintained by using it!) will probably outlive all of us now. Except young Louis of course.  ;)

Summit Racing has a good selection for those willing or wishing to pursue it. You just need to look for the right balance of pressure and flow. Their Carter universal, at about $82, does 1.2 gpm at 6 psi; their own brand does .71 rpm but at 45 psi. They offer 325 electric, external fuel pumps, many of them in the $100 range. Surely one or more of those with a pressure regulator would work. Best to know the fuel pump requirements before searching!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 15:02:41 »
It is critical to have the correct volume and pressure for these systems to run correctly. Besides supplying the injection system with fuel, the continuous, high volume flow of gasoline through the system cools the injection pump, the lines and thus prevents vapor lock from happening. Many other fuel pumps supply adequate pressure, but few provide enough pressure and enough volume. Many of these other pumps will actually start and run the engine. Hot starting and running problems result.  Too much pressure or not enough pressure will change the injection mixture. Not enough volume will create hot running and starting problems. Incorrect mounting of the pump will also cause running problems since the original pumps on these cars are "gravity fed" and should be mounted lower or even with the bottom of the fuel tank. Look closely at the specifications for volume and pressure when trying a different pump.

I know of one inexpensive domestic pump which I have used in a pinch that seems to work fine. It is an electric centrifical type, gravity fed, as is the original. It meets the specs. It mounts in a similar fashion and comes with the mountings, fittings etc. I like originality but this pump can get you out of a jamb especially if your car is down. It is available from your local NAPA store or most other automotive outlets. Shop around for the best price it can be had for around $100.00 US. Quality looks decent. It's a nice inexpensive spare to carry when on a road trip. I think it is quite suitable for emergency, temporary or permanent use. It does seem to be a bit louder than the original Bosch.  It is a Carter #GP4601 HP.

The later Bosch compact fuel pump used in the early 350SLs and the 450SLs with the EFI injection, is also a good substitute and can be used as is (they have the correct specs). Latter Bosch electric fuel pumps will also work, but the system pressure should be checked and lowered as they put out dangerously  high pressures (around 100 psi).

It says a pressure regulator is required with the Carter pump, but the pressure regulation is built into the system of the W113 . The basic specs for volume and pressure are  correct with the Carter pump. No pressure regulator is required.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:15:48 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

George Des

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 15:24:37 »
George,

If the pump is otherwise good i.e. the armature is not too worn, you can try to remove the brush plate by carefully grinding away the two rivet tops. Once the plate is removed you can determine whether pressing down the tabs will tighten up the brush holders. It should unless the tabs have broken off. What you will then need to is carefully drill through the two rivet posts so that you can use an M4 tap to thread the holes. You can then reattach the brush plate with two M4x6 screws and washers. This is a common problem with these pumps. I've done this on a couple of pumps I've worked in the past. It is very easy to cause this when trying to replace the brushes. It is a very tight fit working in that area and there is a tendency to pull up on the brass brush holders when trying to insert them. Using brushes with the relief cut near the shunt facilitates brush replacement greatly by allowing the shunt wire to pass under the holder and fit into the slot.   Hope this helps.

George

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 20:27:26 »
George,

All AOK for the above other than re attaching the brush plate - are the rivets replaceable?

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl

George Des

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 21:21:29 »
Not that I know of. The drilling and tapping is a real simple solution.  Not sure why Bosch didn't do this originally as it would have greatly facilitated brush replacement.

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 04:29:00 »
Hello Joe,
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Hmm, notice that the fuel line is for a transmission. 
Does that make a difference?
I tried a hose of some sort and the gas ate right through it.
Best!
Walter Klatt

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 13:09:32 »
If you look at JA17 Joe Alexander's photo of the installed Carter pump, you'll note the greatly exposed wiring. Considering this lives just inches from the ground, unless you live in a desert, you need to protect the pump and wiring in order to get better life out of it.

That's why they have the fuel pump "cage". It's important.

Of course, Joe's photo could not be taken with the pump cage in place…but the reason why so many people don't have pump cages is mechanics (pro and shade tree) removed them for service and never replaced them.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 14:10:14 »
Hi Joe:
If you remember that I have a 1985 EURO 280SE (120 Chasis) that has the 6 cylinder engine (M110),
will the fuel pump in that car work on my 280SL or my 250SL.
Let me know.
Tom
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5