Author Topic: Paintless dent remover  (Read 4083 times)

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
Paintless dent remover
« on: July 24, 2013, 21:50:43 »
A rather heavy board that I had stood up in the corner of the garage did the inevitable. It fell on Scarlett. Put a shallow but noticeable dent and scratch on the top of the right quarter. I went to a bodyshop that does excellent work, primarily to set up an appointment. The owner suggested PDR. I agreed because I would have to wait about a month for conventional body work and could later go that route if I didn't like the results.

Dropped off the car yesterday morning, got a call around noon that I could pick it up. If I didn't see it with my own eyes I would not have believed it. "Picking", a little wet sanding and some polish = good as new. The total cost was $125 which would about cover the paint in conventional repair.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
Re: Paintless dent remover
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 22:12:03 »
Thanks,  "great minds think alike"  A 2X6 X6' bounced twice against my RF fender.  It left 4 impressions, 2 per bounce.  I'm told that my comprehension will cover it.  I wonder why the callin comprehensive when it covers things like this.
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 23:25:09 »
A rather heavy board that I had stood up in the corner of the garage did the inevitable.

Word to the wise: "What has fallen, cannot fall again." Things that can fall and cause damage in the area of a costly car need to lay flat where they cannot fall. What's that old 2 x 6 worth?  >:(

Now excuse me while I move my car out of the garage and take down that rarely used metal lacrosse goal hanging above it!  :o

And yes, this PDR is pretty amazing. I watched them do some work on a daily driver.  Amazing.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:22 »
I agree  that PDR is a lifesaver.

Had a garbage bin (large wheely type) hit into the back of the Cayenne. Quote from a body shop for conventional repair was $1800!!!  Went to another place that was recommended for PDR. Cost was $250 and the result was brilliant. Cannot pick the repair !!!

Glad to hear that scarlett has her honour left intact  ;D
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille