Author Topic: Reconfiguring lock tumblers to fit a particular key  (Read 5303 times)

280sl1968

Reconfiguring lock tumblers to fit a particular key
« on: July 22, 2013, 20:34:22 »
Given that it is possible to obtain the original keys from MB and elsewhere, for cars where a mix and match of replacement locksets have been installed over the years, would a good auto locksmith be able to reconfigure lock tumblers to take the original keys, eg so that two different door handles and gas cap can be made to open with a new original key?

I know there are locksmiths that can do the other way around (i.e cut a key to fit a lock), but I'm thinking more about making a lock fit a key.

Also, for an early 280SL that had a three key system (ignition/doors & gas cap/trunk & glove box), I assume it would have originally just been three keys for each of those, and there wouldn't have been the 'one key for all' plus a valet key (that didn't open the glove box and trunk)??

David

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Reconfiguring lock tumblers to fit a particular key
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 13:21:43 »
Any good locksmith should be able to reconfigure the lock to fit the key. In fact to some extent you can do it yourself by removing the tumbler with the key in it and then dressing the tabs down.
Not as good as replacing them all and starting from scratch but it doe swork.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 20:34:55 »
I am doing this as we speak on my W111. I have a three key system: ignition - doors/gas cap - trunk/glove box. The problem with matching these up is the brand of lock you have. HUF and YMOS are the two lock companies and the keys are not interchangable. In fact, each brand has at least four profiles. I am learning this as I go.

I have HUF door handles/gas cap and YMOS trunk lock/glove box. The Classic Center can give you an ignition key and matching tumbler that should match you original. But I do not believe they do the same for the other keys. I have a person who is reworking my locks and keys to get to a 3 key matching set. He works on and has a lot of vintage Mercedes lock parts. PM me if you want his contact info.     
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

280sl1968

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 17:56:50 »
I spoke briefly to an auto locksmith about this, and he said that provided the key can be inserted into the keyway, it should be possible to reconfigure the lock to the key. What I didn't ask was whether every TW key, for example, can be inserted into a TW lock keyway.

Anyway, will report back on whether this works.

David

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 19:48:39 »
Your right that if the key can be inserted ALL the way into the tumbler, it can be reconfigured. The trick is to match up the same profiles for the lock mfg. I think the profile that will allow the key to fit or not fit in the tumbler, are on the side of the key.

I am pretty sure that the prefix letters on the key will tell you if they fit. For example I have two trunk locks one of which is a spare but both are YMOS. One key has the prefix "KN" and the other is "TA". So you would want both the glove box and the trunk to be YMOS AND have the same prefix. In my case either "TA" or "KN".
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

KevinC

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:12:49 »
Can a new gas cap be re-set to work with a key that's original? 

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 20:01:22 »
I am not an expert and am just learning. The two gas caps (as well as keys) have to be the same brand first of all (HUF vs. YMOS).

There is a big write up in tech manual about the YMOS gas caps. 

I imagine the new gas cap (assuming same brand) would also have to have the same letter prefix in order to be keyed to fit the original key. That I am not positive about that. Again, I can give you the name of someone who can tell you. PM me if you want.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:22 »
I made the lock on the drivers door of my 4.5 sedan to work with the ignition key.  I just took the door handle apart and switch the wafers around to fit the key.  There are only 4 different wafer sizes in the lock so it was easy.  Also when I got the 4.5 sedan I had only a valet key and it would not work in the trunk or glove box.  I bought a master blank and copied the cuts on the key and now it fits all the locks.  The valet key just has a different key way.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic