Author Topic: Progress! ... forgot to deal with hubcaps!  (Read 4416 times)

bjudd

Progress! ... forgot to deal with hubcaps!
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:11:58 »

Original paint color (356 metalic blue), cognac carpet and finally, mbtex cognac seat covers are complete.  Very nice.  (I'll get pics up soon when I borrow a camera... mine was stolen recently.)
I'll mention that I found German Auto Tops very helpful and high quality for the carpet and seat covers. 

When I brought the car to the body shop where I sanded and they did a little metal work and all the spraying I left the hub caps at home.  They look very poor next to the new paint.  The chrome is very dull & worn and the paint is faded out.  So, I 'm on those now.  After reading many posts about hub caps I'm still not clear whether they are stainless.  A magnet does stick to the caps.  Is that the definitive measure telling me that they're simply steel with chrome?  Mine is from early '69.  I ask because I am interested in having them polished if that's an option rather than re-chroming.

Thank you,

Brian

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: Progress! ... forgot to deal with hubcaps!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:35:07 »
Early '69s would be steel and chrome plated.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:16 »
Early '69s would be steel and chrome plated.

John, ORIGINAL early 69s would be steel and chrome plated. Many replacements, even some from years ago, would be stainless...when our cars were used as daily drivers, and subjected to this indignation and the inherent road rash, replacing wheel covers was something easy and not too costly to do. Many originals are scratched, rusted on the back, or front--or really in bad shape.

Brian, if you have Chrome plated steel wheel covers, and they are as old as the car (or nearly so), it would be almost impossible NOT to have some manner of rust on the back side. The stainless would be pretty clean, but even they might rust just a tiny bit if neglected. Chrome also has a different "color" than stainless, but unless you have the two side by side it might be hard to describe.  Chrome would be a bit warmer in tone.

The photo here shows OEM stainless steel wheel cover on the left, and a reproduction (they are out there...) on the right.  It's been discussed before but the OEM is heavier gauge, higher polish, and higher overall quality.  The repro is certainly acceptable and carried a lower price.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 16:04:53 »
 I agree Michael, the cars were ORIGINALLY equipped with steel wheel covers. They would have a green primer on the inside and and the chrome would undoubtedly be dulled by the elements, primarily brake dust. I have been pretty lucky with mine but they are a bit dull around the vents. Never have seen a stainless cover myself and wonder if there is a weight difference?

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 16:31:35 »
John,

Any manner of green primer was long gone from the back side of mine, when I had them...there was a nice coating of iron oxide instead.
I so see some rust, or at least I think so, around some of the clips and around some of the perforated holes.  The part that is primed shows the good care you give your car!
I think, though is it all memory and anecdotal, that the OEM chrome steel hubcaps probably weigh just a bit more than the stainless counterparts...but that's just a guess.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

bjudd

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 21:25:55 »
Thanks for the info.  Mine have the green backs and a little rust to prove they are not stainless.  I just picked them up from a metal casting / polishing place who spent a while buffing them on a wheel.  The are much improved and will get by for now.  Re-chroming is in store.

Thanks again!

ptooner

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 19:55:46 »
Original paint color (356 metalic blue), cognac carpet and finally, mbtex cognac seat covers are complete.  Very nice.  (I'll get pics up soon when I borrow a camera... mine was stolen recently.)
I'll mention that I found German Auto Tops very helpful and high quality for the carpet and seat covers. 

When I brought the car to the body shop where I sanded and they did a little metal work and all the spraying I left the hub caps at home.  They look very poor next to the new paint.  The chrome is very dull & worn and the paint is faded out.  So, I 'm on those now.  After reading many posts about hub caps I'm still not clear whether they are stainless.  A magnet does stick to the caps.  Is that the definitive measure telling me that they're simply steel with chrome?  Mine is from early '69.  I ask because I am interested in having them polished if that's an option rather than re-chroming.

Thank you,

Brian

On this subject, mine is 65 so I have the two piece caps.  They actually look pretty good, but some of the paint is peeling and I would like to hear from folks who have dealt with that problem as to how you did it and how you liked the results.  I have some doubt about my ability to get paint to stick to chrome.   ???

Gerry
65 230SL