Author Topic: Adenauer gas tank sealer.  (Read 6416 times)

dseretakis

Adenauer gas tank sealer.
« on: June 17, 2013, 00:08:18 »
Hi. My 1958 300d has a rusty gas tank. I'm planning on removing it, letting it sit in muriatic acid for a few days, then using the POR-15 gas tank sealer system. Does anyone have any advice, or would anyone do it differently?

I'm also wondering why it's even necessary to coat it once it's de-rusted. When new, these tanks were not sealed on the inside.  The only thing I can think of is that the rust has thinned the metal making it more prone to perforation should some rust start again. What do you all think?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Adenauer gas tank sealer.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:12:45 »
Surely the tank was galvanized on the inside, otherwise it would have rusted in a heartbeat--days, not decades!  Maybe I'm wrong though--best to ask the Adenaeur experts at MBCA.

But once rust starts anywhere the surface coating--be it galvanizing, chrome, zinc or other plating or coating is compromised.  A refinish is almost a requirement, I would think--unless you want to battle the problem forever.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

dseretakis

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 13:45:41 »
But we're they really galvanized? When I peered into my pagoda tank some years ago it was bright shiny metal. It didn't appear to have the grayish galvanic coating. Then again I was peering through gas in a small dark hole so who knows!

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 20:16:29 »
I had the tank of my Coupe dipped into an acid bath and I then use the POR 15 sealant inside and the paint outside. I did this 3 years ago and so far so good.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 20:30:32 by GGR »