Author Topic: Headlamp reflector rubber support bushings  (Read 8111 times)

280sl1968

Headlamp reflector rubber support bushings
« on: June 15, 2013, 21:01:42 »
How many rubber bushings (0008260094) should there be per Euro headlamp?

Another forum posting on headlight reflector restoration suggests 6 per headlamp. Having opened up my lights today, there are indeed 6 as follows (positions looking from the rear of the headlamp unit):

2 on either side of the fog light reflector
1 in the reflector that fits into a short U-shaped channel at the 7 o'clock position in the frame
1 in the reflector bracket with adjustment tab at the 11 o'clock position through which the adjusting screw goes
1 in the reflector bracket with adjustment tab at the 5 o'clock position through which the other adjusting screw goes
1 in the reflector at the 5 o'clock position that sits in a U-shaped channel in the frame near the adjusting screw

I see that there is also a U-shaped channel in the frame at the 11 o'clock position and a corresponding hole in the reflector that could take another bushing similar to the one at the 5 o'clock position. These are missing on both headlights, and if added would make a total of 7 per lamp, not 6.

Given that the bushings in the U-shaped channels seem to act as guides to position the reflector as it is adjusted via the screws, I would have thought there should be bushings here too.

Any reason why they are not there in that one position on mine?

David

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Headlamp reflector rubber support bushings
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:55:48 »
I think 6 per headlamp is correct.
3 on the main reflector, one fixed and two on the adjuster screws.
On the fog lamp, there are two fixed and one on the adjuster screw.
I believe the additional 'U' shaped channels are used for different orientation of the h/lamp reflector LHD or RHD

Naj
68 280SL

280sl1968

Re: Headlamp reflector rubber support bushings
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 17:25:46 »
Forgot to count the one on the fog light reflector adjuster. That means I have seven per lamp. So I guess the question now is, do I have one too many, or should there be one more to make eight?

The pictures below illustrate on of my headlights:

Picture 1
Shows the bushing on the headlight alignment adjustment screw on the right of the photo
You can also see another bushing that is inserted into the reflector and fits into a U-shape channel in the frame. This seems to serve as a guide as it moves up and down in the channel as the reflector is adjusted. Should it be there?
You can also see the bushing on the RHS of the fog light reflector and the bushing attached to the alignment screw at the left of the picture.

Picture 2
Shows the bushing on the left side of the fog light reflector (out of its slot in the frame)
You can also see another fixed bushing that fits into the reflector and clips into the frame. This one has no channel and so no up and down movement, but may have some rotational movement as the main reflector is adjusted.

Picture 3
Shows the bushing on the top headlight alignment adjustment screw.
Note there is no bushing in the reflector that goes into the U shaped channel that is visible (unlike the channel in Picture 1).

Should there be one? It seems there should be one there given the hole in the reflector aligns with it.

If I add one, that will then mean 8 bushings per lamp, whereas others who have posted in these forums seem to suggest only 6 are used. It's probably not a big deal, but given that I have the lights open, it would be good to know what the right answer is.

David
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 20:58:27 by 280sl1968 »