Author Topic: New York/the Hamptons - advice for a trip  (Read 23282 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: New York/the Hamptons - advice for a trip
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 11:40:46 »
Peter, so far there's not one teeny, tiny aspect of this trip that has been cheap. Renting a helicopter would be cheap by comparison to some of the things we've decided to do! (God bless her!)

I'll admit it, and it may shock you, but I do occassionally like to partake in a little liquid refreshment. The problem with hiring a car, which is indeed most sensible, is that I would have to drive it. In which case we'd hire a car, then go everywhere by taxi anyway.

'Tis a conundrum, to be sure.

???
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

KevinC

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 11:46:34 »
We like Sweet Tomato's (not the chain) on Shelter Island not far from East Hampton. There is a short ferry ride involved so you know. Also, the Trip Advisor site might give you some other ideas. Like Peter, I would also recommend car rental unless your "occasionally" is more than you are letting on  ;)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g48596-d519470-Reviews-Sweet_Tomato_s-Shelter_Island_Long_Island_New_York.html

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 14:58:24 »
I know EXACTLY what James' occasionally means. I've been known (on occasion of course) to try to keep up with him, and failed miserably...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 23:01:19 »
I second that Peter,  I remember one night in France on the Euro Tour a few years back having a wee drink with James (and others of course). On that occasion I don't remember how we got back to the hotel though.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

KevinC

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 16:37:52 »
So how was the trip?

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 16:58:45 »
Superb, thank you.

Great flight out with BA to Newark. Amazingly good food and service (but as expected). We stayed a night with friends in Bronxville, which is beautiful. No idea places like that exist in NY. On the Saturday we traveled out to East Hampton for a few days of R&R. Weather was as kind as it could have been. We went to Montauk Light on the Monday and saw a lovely silver 280SL but it turned off before I did and I failed to catch the couple who were driving. NY plates. I thought it could have been someone here but no one answered my sighting post  ???

Anyway, a really great weekend in a beautiful place. Made it back to the UK overnight on Monday, landing at LHR on Tuesday, then back to Germany, and home for tea and medals by 1800h.

Marvelous.

Now bankrupt.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

KevinC

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 17:13:32 »
Sounds great James. I figured that Long Island wouldn't disappoint. When you are from outside the area and think "New York", areas like that plus the Adirondack area upstate certainly don't come to mind. Glad you enjoyed it.

I buddy of mine says "Every Man Seeks His Own Level of Poverty"...probably not well-put but I know what he means. I live like that too!

Kevin

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 17:36:32 »

I buddy of mine says "Every Man Seeks His Own Level of Poverty"...probably not well-put but I know what he means. I live like that too!

Kevin

I wouldn't mind at least having a dog in that fight! Alas, my wife seems to be best placed to judge the level of poverty I must endure! (There were some fancy shops in E Hampton. Sadly).
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL