Author Topic: New York/the Hamptons - advice for a trip  (Read 23281 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
New York/the Hamptons - advice for a trip
« on: May 26, 2013, 18:15:17 »
Looks like I'll be on the East coast in early October. It's a big birthday for my frau and so she will fly out to join me. We went to the Hamptons a decade ago and stayed in a friends place. We loved it. Sadly, they've moved on, but we want to go back. So, I thought I'd ask here if any of you chaps who might know the area could offer any recommendations of a place to stay for the weekend. I suppose I'm looking for a small B & B. Rather than a large hotel. Something quite quiet near the sea. So, not a high end big hotel.

Flights are booked, so we need to stay somewhere. Grateful for any top tips or advice.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Louis

Re: New York/the Hamptons - advice for a trip
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 18:37:59 »
James,

I don't know an exact spot to suggest but you can browse until a solid suggestion shows up......Google B&B's in NY Hamptons and you should get quite a few hits.....

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 13:25:19 »
Try The Grassmere Inn, Westhampton; The Village Latch Inn, Southampton; The Hedges Inn, East Hampton; Hampton's House of Gardens, Southampton, or The Shearwater Inn in East Quogue.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 18:13:51 »
Thanks, Michael. Do you have experiences of any of these places by chance?
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 20:45:39 »
Thanks, Michael. Do you have experiences of any of these places by chance?

Though I grew up on Long Island, the Hamptons were WAY out of our league...I've had excellent results using "TripAdvisor" on the web for accurate reviews from people...like me and you!  Look 'em up, and see if any tickle your fancy.
http://www.tripadvisor.com  Just on a lark, I randomly checked The Hedges Inn (w/o regard to price) and saw it had a pretty astoundingly positive reviews, lots of good experiences...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 05:46:57 »
Thanks, Michael. Will get the long haired General on it at once. Just as soon as she's sorted out our family summer holiday. And picked up the dog from the vet. And somewhere to stay for our long weekend next week before I go off for a while.

She loves this sort of thing. Denies it, of course, but secretly I know... ;D
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Rodolfo

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:23 »
I generally use www.booking.com or www.ebooking.com and the available hotels and B&B for a given period pop up, with complete description and pricing.

regards, Rudy

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 13:36:04 »
Jamie

Have a nose on VRBO.com I've rented several places through them. It does exactly what it says on the tin... Vacation Rentals By Owner

You may find one that suits your porpoise ;D Although the good lady might have to make your breakfast...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

mclewis

• Senior
  • USA, NJ, Saddle River
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 21:14:36 »
James,

A friend who has a house in Southampton recommends the Village Latch Inn (http://villagelatch.com), which is right near the center of town, and not too far from the beach.  It is a bit of an eccentric spot, and probably not the place if you are looking for a modern, business traveler-type of hotel.  Southampton itself is a lovely town, with plenty of stores, restaurants and bars. More waspy and relatively less glizty than most of the other towns in the east end of Long Island.

Marc
Marc Lewis
1968 280SL 728H/728H, 248, 746
2020 C300
2021 E450 All Terrain

KevinC

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 20:49:33 »
For something unexpected, there are about 30 wineries that have "sprung up" in former potato farms on the North Fork of Long Island. Most have tasting rooms. From the South Fork (Hamptons), head to Sag Harbor, take the ferry to Shelter Island than a second ferry to Greenport and the wineries are 10 minutes away. On the return trip eat at Sweet Tomato's in Shelter Island Heights...awesome dining and drinks.

Check out Google maps and see how close everything is.

AMF

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 00:40:53 »

The 1708 house in Southampton. 126 Main Street. 631-287-1708.
www.1708house.com

I have stayed there many times. Truly wonderful.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:30 »
For something unexpected...the North Fork of Long Island

Having grown up on Long Island I can tell you that the North Fork is truly a special place, bearing little resemblance to the hustle and bustle of the "Tri-State" metro NYC area, and very different from the Hamptons.  It is its own little world, closer in spirit to New England.  You might not find the paparazzi or beautiful people milling about but it is really beautiful.  I've driven the length of LI to Orient Point many times to get the ferry to New London, and it is just a great drive, and a wonderful experience.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Kayvan

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 17:30:28 »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 18:34:04 »
Thanks, guys.  We looked at 1708 house. It's stunning. Bit also stinging.

We found a nice place - well what I hope is a nice place - called Getaway house, I think. The guy seems nice enough.

It's quite near some restaurants and bars so we're hoping for a great time. And weather. 

Just need to find a cab firm to take us from the airport to the hotel now.

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

KevinC

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 15:02:28 »
Which airport?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 15:13:00 »
Which airport?

Well, if he's coming into EWR, JFK or LGA, it's an exceedingly long, painful and costly cab trip.  Somewhat less so from ISP (the last place I flew into in NY) but still a bit from the Hamptons...but there are alternatives.

http://waterwinetravel.com/2011/01/getting-to-the-hamptons-without-spending-hours-in-your-car/
http://www.hamptonjitney.com/cgi-bin/nav.cgi?id=**id**&dir=data&page=airport.html
http://limousineservicelongisland.com/the_hamptons
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 18:34:30 »
No specific recommendation, but once you are near Southampton, you can have a look at some Pagodas and other vintage cars at Aventura Motors 625 County Road 39A
their website is http://www.aventuramotors.com/site/index.php?route=information/static

happy vacation :)
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 18:08:29 »
Well, if he's coming into EWR, JFK or LGA, it's an exceedingly long, painful and costly cab trip.  Somewhat less so from ISP (the last place I flew into in NY) but still a bit from the Hamptons...but there are alternatives.

http://waterwinetravel.com/2011/01/getting-to-the-hamptons-without-spending-hours-in-your-car/
http://www.hamptonjitney.com/cgi-bin/nav.cgi?id=**id**&dir=data&page=airport.html
http://limousineservicelongisland.com/the_hamptons

EEk! That wasn't want I wanted to hear!! Flying into Newark International and out from JFK. We're staying with friends on Fri evening in a place called Bronxville, NY. Wherever that is (I haven't looked at a map yet).

I'd love to look at the car place, but I fear my frau might BBQ me at the first opportunity!!
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

paulr

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 19:40:17 »
Hi James,

I have a place in Amagansett which will be rented out for the winter, so I can't help there but I might be able to help if you give me your budget.

paulr

KevinC

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 00:53:17 »
Michael posted some great options. I hear that some have had good luck with LI train service and the Hampton Jitney. You can always rent a car, too. Depending on the day, the time of day and the weather rest assured that you won't be the only one on the road from the Metro NYC area to the Hamptons. 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 12:10:23 »
Commensurate with my take on the "North Fork" of LI, this just appeared the other day in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/realestate/on-the-north-fork-the-un-hamptons.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 20:05:17 »
Hi James,

I have a place in Amagansett which will be rented out for the winter, so I can't help there but I might be able to help if you give me your budget.

paulr

Hi, Paulr, Thanks for your reply. I've sent you an IM to your email (I hope). Let me know if you don't receive it!

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

KevinC

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 00:08:44 »
So how was the trip?

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 07:37:58 »
Hi, Kevin,

Well, the trip is now on 3 Oct - flights changed and re-booked due to my employer's ability to continually mess with my life, plans, head, etc.

We've found a place in East Hampton to stay, and are now on the hunt for restuarants and things to do and visit on the Sat, Sun and Mon. We're staying with friends in a place called Bronxville in NY on the Friday. (We also need to figure out how to get there from the airport - I think a 'car service' was mentioned, which I suppose is like a taxi! If anyone has any recommendations....)

Very much looking forward to the trip. It'll be the first time my wife has left our children alone for more than one evening since they were born a few years ago. No doubt she'll be completely relaxed... ::)

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:22 »
Renting a car is probably the cheapest option...

Have a great time James.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 11:40:46 »
Peter, so far there's not one teeny, tiny aspect of this trip that has been cheap. Renting a helicopter would be cheap by comparison to some of the things we've decided to do! (God bless her!)

I'll admit it, and it may shock you, but I do occassionally like to partake in a little liquid refreshment. The problem with hiring a car, which is indeed most sensible, is that I would have to drive it. In which case we'd hire a car, then go everywhere by taxi anyway.

'Tis a conundrum, to be sure.

???
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

KevinC

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 11:46:34 »
We like Sweet Tomato's (not the chain) on Shelter Island not far from East Hampton. There is a short ferry ride involved so you know. Also, the Trip Advisor site might give you some other ideas. Like Peter, I would also recommend car rental unless your "occasionally" is more than you are letting on  ;)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g48596-d519470-Reviews-Sweet_Tomato_s-Shelter_Island_Long_Island_New_York.html

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 14:58:24 »
I know EXACTLY what James' occasionally means. I've been known (on occasion of course) to try to keep up with him, and failed miserably...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 23:01:19 »
I second that Peter,  I remember one night in France on the Euro Tour a few years back having a wee drink with James (and others of course). On that occasion I don't remember how we got back to the hotel though.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

KevinC

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 16:37:52 »
So how was the trip?

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 16:58:45 »
Superb, thank you.

Great flight out with BA to Newark. Amazingly good food and service (but as expected). We stayed a night with friends in Bronxville, which is beautiful. No idea places like that exist in NY. On the Saturday we traveled out to East Hampton for a few days of R&R. Weather was as kind as it could have been. We went to Montauk Light on the Monday and saw a lovely silver 280SL but it turned off before I did and I failed to catch the couple who were driving. NY plates. I thought it could have been someone here but no one answered my sighting post  ???

Anyway, a really great weekend in a beautiful place. Made it back to the UK overnight on Monday, landing at LHR on Tuesday, then back to Germany, and home for tea and medals by 1800h.

Marvelous.

Now bankrupt.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

KevinC

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 17:13:32 »
Sounds great James. I figured that Long Island wouldn't disappoint. When you are from outside the area and think "New York", areas like that plus the Adirondack area upstate certainly don't come to mind. Glad you enjoyed it.

I buddy of mine says "Every Man Seeks His Own Level of Poverty"...probably not well-put but I know what he means. I live like that too!

Kevin

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 17:36:32 »

I buddy of mine says "Every Man Seeks His Own Level of Poverty"...probably not well-put but I know what he means. I live like that too!

Kevin

I wouldn't mind at least having a dog in that fight! Alas, my wife seems to be best placed to judge the level of poverty I must endure! (There were some fancy shops in E Hampton. Sadly).
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL