Author Topic: fitting Hard Doorpockets  (Read 4369 times)

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
fitting Hard Doorpockets
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:43:05 »
I am upgrading my doorpockets from soft to the hard version.

Now the hardpockets have 5 small holes underneath ,can anyone tell me how these are intended to be attached.

Just to the doorcard itselves , or through the doorcard into the doorframe ?  and what kind of screws or rivits were used??

Thanks
Mark

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: fitting Hard Doorpockets
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:02:20 »
Quote from: 450sl
I am upgrading my doorpockets from soft to the hard version. Now the hardpockets have 5 small holes underneath ,can anyone tell me how these are intended to be attached?
There are tabs on the lower part of the hard type door pocket metal "shell" that pass through slits in the door card and are bent at the back. On the top part, there are screws that fit with small nuts and washers, passing from the front to the rear of the door skin.
You mention five holes, from where have you obtained the door pockets? Perhaps these parts that you have will use screws on lower part, too (?)
/Hans in Sweden

/Hans S

450sl

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:13:50 »
Hi Hans, thanks

There are no tabs on my hardpockets , but they sure look to be original , not some cheap copycats.

Evidance that these tabs are cutoff in an earlier stage is not there either. 

Just 5  approx 2mm holes.

w113dude

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:18:56 »
Mark,

later ones had tabs, the earlier ones were screwed in, here's one from a 64, I also have a set of late 67 that have tabs,I used large washers to cover them with very small size screws. use a longer than usual screw then you can always cut then to the right size before gluing and covering them,

450sl

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:22:54 »
Hi Shaun, Thank You very much will do the same.

Thanks Mark

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 17:16:54 »
There are no tabs on my hardpockets , but they sure look to be original , not some cheap copycats. ....
Just 5  approx 2mm holes. ...
Perhaps early 230SL door pockets had no tabs but I believe that the rail with the tabs was lost during previous restorations.  Here is a photo from the kit that SLS sells showing the rail with the tabs, it slides over the rim at the bottom of the pocket. In my view that rim is too narrow for screws although it is of course a solution to drill holes and use screws if the tab rail got lost.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)