Author Topic: RetroSound Radio  (Read 6053 times)

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
RetroSound Radio
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:42:54 »

Last year I installed a Parrot MKi9100 hands free kit, and an additional 2 speakers, this is worked brilliantly, for phone and USB Music, but showed up the limitations of a 45 year old “mono” Radio.

I  ordered a RetroSound Model 2 Radio with “Becker” Pin Stripe  Chrome Facia and Buttons.
I have now completed its installation - I think the resultant look compares well with my original Blaupunkt Pinstripe.

The kit initially looks complicated, but that is because it contains all the bits and pieces for almost any electrical and mechanical connection you can think of !

All you basically need though is a Fixed +12v, a Switched +12v, an Earth, and at least 2 speakers, so it can be pretty simple.

I could plug the Radio ISO connectors into the previously installed Parrot Kit, and I made a rear support bracket as there was not one previously fitted to the Blaupunkt. The Dash Fitment is pretty standard for the pagoda opening.

There are 2 USB connections, I ran these to the glove box, all the remaining connectors remain hidden in the dash.

The Downside:
LCD display difficult to read in an open car in sunlight.
Bluetooth Phone operation is not Voice activated, hence I am keeping the Parrot installed.

The Plus Points:
Looks  just like a 1960s  Radio, Excellent Sound & Flexibility - USB Flash Drives, iPods, Smart Phones, just about anything works with it via Bluetooth or plug in connectors.

Am I happy ?

Yes, Very - Bring on the Sunshine….

Paul

Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

teleandatwin

Re: RetroSound Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:22:17 »
Hi Paul,

I have just ordered and received the same Retrosound Model 2 for my 250sl. Was it difficult to find the Fixed +12v, a Switched +12v, an Earth? Did you happen to photograph the connections to those? Not sure I will be able to tell the correct wires. Thanks

Paul

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:28:27 »
Hi Paul, & welcome,

Yes it can all look pretty daunting when you open the box, so it is very helpful to pre plan your installation.

If you look in the "Technical Manual"  here you can see a selection of circuit diagrams in B&W, if you want Coloured diagrams you need to join as a full member. There are 230 and 280 diagrams shown, the 250 has only minor differences.
Does you car already have a radio fitted ?

My car already had a radio fitted, so I used that power supply  for the Fixed +12v, I then used the Cigarette lighter feed for the switched +12v. Although you will need to check this for your individual car, - a lot can get messed around with over 50 years!
For an earth connection on these cars most brown wires lead to Earth.

Hope this helps

Please  let  us know if you have any further questions

Keep well
Paul
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

jedwards

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:22:42 »
Hi Paul,

I certainly struggled with my early 250SL as well, as they do not provide a switched 12 volt via the ignition.  The only solution I have found so far is to run 12 volt permanently to the radio and try to remember to turn it off manually when you leave the car.  I understand that you can fit a later ignition switch from a 280SL that does provide an auxiliary 12volt supply, but I have not don't so as yet.

Has anyone found another solution for our  earlier cars?

Jeff

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 13:10:55 »
Hi Jeff,

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you want the radio to turn on and off in tune with the ignition key, then this is a simple solution.

The power supply to the Cigarette lighter (25) in Diagram, comes from Fuse (2) and is only live when the ignition is on, or the car is running,
 so if you use this as the switched (+12v) then the radio will work when the ignition is on, and when you stop the engine the radio will go off, and the electric aerial will retract (if Fitted). The permanent live to the radio will maintain the radio memories.

Our earlier cars do not have an "accessory" position on the ignition switch, so it is not advisable to sit with the ignition "on" just to listen to the radio.
If you want to do this - I have another more complicated solution !

Hope this helps

Paul
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

jedwards

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:59:06 »
Hi Paul,
Fully agree with what you say, and that is pretty much how I have mine wired.
But keen to learn about your "more complex" method, that is hopefully independent of having to have the ignition on.
Please share.
Jeff

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:05:18 »
Hi Jeff,

As you can see below, I have made some enhancements, behind my additional panel that hides the Parrot and relays ect!

Basically the Switched live +12v to the Radio and Parrot only comes from the Relay, and is thus not connected to any other consumers .
The Relay is powered when the ignition is on, and so  Radio and Parrot are powered then.
When the ignition is off, the relay drops and turns off the Radio and Parrot.

The illuminated(when on) red rocker can be operated then,  just to power up the Radio and Parrot, without any other items like fuel pump, ignition ect.The glowing switch reminds me it is on, even after turning the ignition on.

The silver Push Button isolates the radio feed to the electric aerial, so I can listen to the USB inputs with the aerial retracted,
The red Push button isolates the feed to a flashing red LED (Mock alarm) which is powered from the relay, when the ignition is off.

Let me know if you need any more information or want me to EMail the full size diagram to you

Keep well
Paul
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD