Author Topic: 230 SL Ignition Tumbler Removal  (Read 10384 times)

howardpdavis

230 SL Ignition Tumbler Removal
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:54:46 »
Hi,
I am trying to replace the Ignition tumbler on my 1964 230SL. On inserting the ignition key recently the central barrel fell apart and came out with the key and several small springs. I have seen lots of conflicting advice as to whether it is possible to replace the tumbler alone or if you have to replace the whole part including steering lock. By placing the 2 barrel halves around the key, re inserting it and  turning one notch on the ignition I have taken off the steering lock and can now turn on ignition by inserting a flat screwdriver to the back of the key hole and turning clockwise- so the car can be driven with no problem.
I have also found an ignition tumbler repair kit which appears to be suitable for this model Pagoda.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-108-109-111-112-Ignition-key-tumbler-FIX-Kit-/120741007079

I cannot, however, remove the present tumbler mechanism ! I have taken off the beauty ring, and also taken out the the radio. I cannot see any way of removing the chrome cover or tumbler. Has anyone done this ? I do not want to have to dismantle the dashboard etc to get the whole part out if at all avoidable.
Helpful advice would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Howard

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: 230 SL Ignition Tumbler Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:58:45 »
Apparently you have to drill out the two small hardened pins at the base of the chrome cover to remove it and the tumbler. Search for posts by Al Lieffring who has done this tumbler swap in his 230SL. I'm not sure about the new installation, whether you can just drift 2 new pins in? I see no pins in that ebay kit but it does appear to be correct for the 230 and early 250.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Greg

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 15:30:35 »
Hi,

I have the same problem on my 230sl 1964. The centre barrel came out with the key and now I have it attached together with the key to be able to start the car. I got a new tumbler, the same as you posted from ebay, same seller. It is the right tumbler and yes, 2 new pins are included.
I still haven't changed mine because unfortunately as Dave mentioned, you have to drill the previous pins to be able to get the tumbler out. And to get to the pins you have to get out the whole steering lock. That means dismantle the whole dash.

Please post and describe how it goes if you manage to change before I do.

Greg

howardpdavis

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 17:36:14 »
Thanks Greg, thats very interesting. I was thinking about superglueing the key and tumbler together to make one unit and use it to start the car but I am concerned that if I  then insert it in the ignition I may not be able to get it out again. Can you tell me what you did ?
Howard

Greg

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 19:54:41 »
Actually mine is not glued but the key is slightly slightly bent with age so it holds the tumbler together with my key and I am able to separate them if needed. I am also very careful if I have the keys in my pocket because I can easily loose the tumbler and won't be able to start the car. Its a bit of a hassle but its working fine. Have to fix the problem as soon as possible. Pitty its a hard job to get rid of all the dash and ignition but I guess it might take a day to fix.

Greg

DaveB

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 22:01:40 »
I've taken a couple of these early ignition switch/steering lock units off the column before. I don't remember how it's done but it wasn't difficult and didn't involve any dash disassembly.
DaveB

howardpdavis

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:47:35 »
Dave, are you  completely sure about that, because I can't find anyone who knows how to do that and if it is possible it would save Greg and me a lot time and effort.
Thanks
Howard

DaveB

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 15:33:13 »
Hi Howard,
Yep, one from a LHD '65 230SL and one from a RHD '67 250SL. Sorry I can't recall the procedure, it was > 10 yrs ago (but if I can do it anyone can do it :))
DaveB

DaveB

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 15:57:17 »
Hmm, I just checked it out, there doesn't seem to be any access without removing at least one of the lower dash panels. Best wait for instructions from someone with recent experience or a better memory.
DaveB

howardpdavis

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 17:44:02 »
OK Dave, thanks for looking, and I will wait for the new barrel to arrive and see if I can find a way to fit it once it gets hers.
Cheers
Howard

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 19:50:58 »
You should be able to push in the locking pin , with the key in position 1 and then be able to remove the assembly.

dont forget to remove the M6 (or M8) clamp bolt.

Greg

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 11:17:48 »
No, I guess that applies just for modern pagodas. Cannot push the locking pin with the key in position 1. In this situation there are 2 locking pins. One on top and another one on bottom where it is impossible to see it unless you unbolt all the ignition off. Than you have to drill out the pins. You get new ones to replace by using a screwdriver.
Well, we see who change it first. I will take pictures when doing the process to share.

howardpdavis

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 17:31:03 »
Well I got the job done today, my friends at Autostore in Cambridge showed me how they could remove the ignition barrel and steering lock in about half an hour !! Take off two panels under steering wheel ( just a couple of screws), reach up inside instrument panel and release speedometer, remove speedometer from dash panel. Reach inside speedometer hole and undo screws holding steering column in place to allow steering wheel to fall about 1-2 inches. reach behind ignition switch and undo three small screws ( very fiddly) that hold ignition switch to lock mechanism. It is now possible to wiggle the steering lock/ignition barrel free and remove from car. They then drilled out pins, inserted new barrel and secured with new pins. Then reattach ignition switch to lock mechanism, wiggle it back in place, replace speedo and panels, Job done. Pavel at Autostore took about 20 mins mat most to re assemble but then he has a very good knowledge of the dashboard construction of these cars haveing done similar jobs on one before. When he had finished it was sticking in one position and then jamming so he took it out, greased it thoroughly and then re assembled as above and its now working perfectly, and I hope will continue to do so.
So if you really really know what you are doing, you could do the job in under two hours, but I would honestly say for a complete beginner, at least a day !
Good luck if your going to try it
Howard

Greg

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 20:06:16 »
Oh Howard!

I appreciate so much that you posted your experience. That counts and will help me so much, you know that. Thanks for the pictures! Nice color on your pagoda!
That makes me wanna start with mine immediately, no harm at all.

Thanks  again.
Greg

howardpdavis

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 13:47:41 »
Greg,
If you do the job make sure you thoroughly clean the locking mechanism of the steering lock. Yesterday the key jammed again and we had to take it out and this time we gave it a good clean out, then regreased, lots of little pieces from the previous barrel had fallen inside the lock and were causing it to jam, see picture. I hope this has cured it. The good news was that we managed to remove the lock with the ignition switch still attached behind, so this saved quite a lot of time and avoided the fiddly bits, we did the whole job in under an hour !
Howard

Greg

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 19:28:31 »
Thanks for the advice, glad to go through the lock just once and not 3 times. Quite a lot of left overs pieces you found there, I can see why the lock was jammed.

Greg

Greg

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 22:59:40 »
Hi Howard,

Just fixed my ignition switch this weekend, took me less than 2 hours to fix it, thanks regarding your plan. Problem I got, once had everything screwed back in and turned the key, car won't start. I had to dismantle everything again. Problem was the two pins holding the chrome cover. In an unexpected way they were causing the ignition not turning full and unable to spark the engine. Used just the upper pin and that solved the problem.
Now I have a working ignition again.

Greg

howardpdavis

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:40 »
Well done Greg, not so difficult afterall !
Happy  classic motoring
Howard