Author Topic: Tools needed to re-seal the 280 sl 1968 differential  (Read 2155 times)

FAdrianza

Tools needed to re-seal the 280 sl 1968 differential
« on: April 19, 2013, 16:44:10 »
Hello, I'm a new member who live in Houston, TX. I have a 280 SL 1968 and I need to disassemble the differential because is leaking and re-seal it and at the same time check everything inside. To do that, special tools are requiered and they are very expensive. Can anybody advice me on that matter ???

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Tools needed to re-seal the 280 sl 1968 differential
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 18:09:05 »
Hi,

Where's it leaking, exactly? Do you mean the front seal is leaking?

There's a ton - probably more, actually - of info on the site (and growing daily) about the rear diff. The search engine is great. Have a good read around and see if you can identify what the issue is.

I'm putting a rear axle back in my car at present. Read that post, and the ones by: Jeffc280, George Des and Waqas (search engine lets you search by member).

Finally, you don't need special tools to do any of these jobs, but you do need a good array of normal tools.

You probably don't want to be splitting the diff if you haven't gone through it before with someone who knows what they're doing. And you can't do it without taking the axle out of the car first.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL