Author Topic: Stone chip protection  (Read 3610 times)

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
Stone chip protection
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:52:55 »
About 4 years ago I had my Car repainted and now after 2 high speed cruises down to southern Italy I have a fair few stone chips at the front of the car. Between the headlights and the grille, between the bumber and the grille and above the grille on the nose of the car. Really annoying and think I'm gonna have to shell out for a partial respray after this summer.

I don't want to fit a permanent protective film as the finish is clearly inferiior to good paint. Anyway it's really bugging me so I'm trying to think of a way to protect the the vulnerable paint at the front whilst travelling long distances at speed with something I can remove when I get to my final destination. In the past I have investigated if I can get a 'car bra' for it but with no luck.

Has anybody on this forum got experience with vacuum forming? In my mind I can see a clear plastic ring like shroud fitting round the grille, held in place by the grille screws flowing up over the fixed part of the nose, accross to the start of the headlight and slotting down between the bumber and paintwork. Obviously with the airflow through the rad unrestricted thoughts? Am I totally crazy?

Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

RBYCC

Re: Stone chip protection
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 17:20:57 »
Why not use a removable spray mask?

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/index.cgi/percyProducts?ID=163

Percy's isn't available in an aerosol so you'll have to spray or roll on.

You can also use Plasti Dip clear which also peels off without harming the finish.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 19:52:09 »
Ed that's brilliant. The Taylors spray mask is worth a try. I've never heard of this sort of product. Taylors doesn't seem to be available in the UK but a few internet searches turned up this stuff which looks similar called Wolf's Chemical Spray on Protection marketed by polished bliss. I think I'll try it when I drive to the 50th Anniversary event in Willingen.
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 21:53:14 »
That Taylor's product looks useful, good intro Ed

Neil
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver

RBYCC

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:25:03 »
Alf

Just "Googled' the Wolf product....
Concept wise I really like it as it washes off !!!

The Taylor's is probably thicker and Plasti-Dip even thicker.
Both have to be peeled off...

Not sure if the Wolf will give adequate protection for stone chips, but looks great if you're staying on decent paved roads !

Ed A.