Author Topic: The sensitive constitution of our fuel systems.  (Read 3757 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
The sensitive constitution of our fuel systems.
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:17:03 »
Last autumn, I put my car away for the winter, only to finally reveal a tiny leak in the fuel feed hose from the fuel feed pump to the hard fuel line at the back of the car.  I had smelled gasoline when I put the car away since mid summer, but there was never a drop under the car, so I could not find the leak.  By November, when I stowed the car--I finally found a tiny leak. It was at the crimp from metal to rubber on the feed hose.  So tiny that it took some months to get to a minor "drip, drip, drip" condition.  I let it drip into oil absorb; ordered a new hose from Dave Gallon, and put it off until this weekend.

I should note that I didn't feel the car was running 100% at highway speed.  Maybe 98%; there was a slight misfire and hesitation, one that only the best of us might notice.

On Saturday past, I changed the fuel line, and "woke up" the car.  I drove home yesterday, ~160 miles at about 70-80 MPH.  No leaks, and the car's highway behavior is back to 100%.  That darn pinhole leak introduced enough disruption to the fuel flow (or allowed air to get in or something) that the car didn't behave 100%.

Car is back; ran great.  My hat's off and a nod to all the Aussies who drove long distances recently.  You never know what you'll get with a very long drive in a very old car--and it takes a bit of spirit to do so.  My small drive of 160 miles pales compared to what some did.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 15:41:34 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

dwahi

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, London
Re: The sensitive constitution of our fuel systems.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:23:44 »
  x
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:29:22 by dwahi »
W113 280SL Auto 050G

Previous:
Porsche 968 Cobalt Blue (photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67828893@N00/tags/porsche968/)
VW GTi Mk VI
VW Jetta Mk II