Author Topic: 50 year celebrations in Europe  (Read 72236 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: 50 year celebrations in Europe
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2013, 14:50:11 »
Thanks Brian ... say hello for me to the old country :)

Safe travels!
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

star63

• Senior
  • Finland, Etela-Suomen Laani, Vantaa
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2013, 21:00:29 »
On our way from Finland. Broke the voltage regulator this morning. Luckily found a good used one near Hannover...
Petri
'67 250 SL (early)
'66 230 SL (long project)
Finland

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2013, 21:55:15 »
To All going to the Euro 50th.

I hope you all enjoy yourselves the company and the drives around Germany etc.  Wish I was there.. 

It feels strange missing a gathering, the first time in 5 years.

Regards
Garry

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

simonarn

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2013, 05:48:49 »
Latest forecast is for 18 c highs with small chance of rain on saturday and cloudy 19c on sunday. Hope you get the best of the weather and have lots of fun. Viel spass.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2013, 07:34:04 »
We have booked the Pullman in Eindhoven tonight - so may see Kemal

If we can find the van der Valk hotel before 10am tomorrow we'll see you there!

Party frock is in the car and we are about to leave. Yay!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:09 »
At Folkestone Eurotunnel terminal. On my way!  ;D
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2013, 08:41:55 »
Garry, we wish you could join us too. Maybe we'll meet at the UK event in 2014...
James, that would be fine.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2013, 16:45:41 »
I'll see you all at the first stop, Autohaus Witteler in Brilon:

Möhnestraße 54
D-59929 Brilon

I will be there from around 12 to welcome the arrivals.

I've been exercising my other hobby this week, cooking, and have had pre-50th-pagoda dinners with Ray and BK, and with Martijn and Jon B.

Bis morgen!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

gerster

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2013, 20:06:56 »
Found these pictures on FB today in the neighborhood of Willingen.

Peter h

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz, Enkirch
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2013, 21:28:03 »

Attention!
2 South Tyrol guys on the way to Willingen.
At a stop on the Mosel in my kitchen with a good steak and a bottle or two of wine.
Peter

08.68 280sl automatic white 717 G  blue MB Tex
09.68 280sl  4-speed, now 5-speed Getrag 180 G dark green MB Tex

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2013, 19:37:27 »
Magic - in an odd way!

The Sauerland is beautiful and we drove about 130miles around and through it yesterday. Us europeans all stereotype eachother but the German one about order and neatness is bang on.... I saw ONE piece of litter and NO poorly kempt houses or gardens or shops or places of work in the whole trip... They take pride in where they live and it shows.

As our esteemed leader said last night, it's a unique experience seeing 200+ Pagodas in one place, and what a place it is. That said, there were people there, who were at our event last year, who I didn't get to see until this morning. SO many faces old(er than they were!) and new AND from the German clubs....

Of the 200+ cars, about 150 were from the German clubs and they did a great job of pulling a great event together. But it was almost too big in terms of catching up with friends, making new friends and so on. I am sure there will be pictures on the site somewhere before too long - it was brilliant and our very own Achim is being too modest as to his contribution but I am also looking forwards to a slightly smaller gathering next year where the pace can be a little slower and the time to chat a little longer. So if I missed you, or barely said "hi", apologies!

I took 8 hours to get home - door to door  - having taken about 13 to get there....2 major accidents on the highway system meant we spent hours stopped in long lines of traffic - although that was better than being in the accident (2 dead in the one in Duisberg :() but that stretch took us 3 hours to get through on Friday and took 11 minutes this afternoon! Sigh of relief when I arrived as I always have after a road trip in a 43 year old car. It's about 370 miles each way, plus the 130 yesterday makes for quite a workout for the car. I did see one silver w hardtop car in the queue for the chunnel at about 6pm but honking like crazy in the passport control line is likely not a great idea. We were sort of hoping we'd see Andy T somewhere en route making his way through a hangover....

Hope everyone makes/made it home safely. Anyone heard from Geoff/Treedoc?

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2013, 20:13:35 »
For some photo's... look here: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18986.0

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2013, 06:28:28 »
the PL team with five Pagodas got safely back home yesterday late afternoon. As opposed to the way to Willingen, the entire track back of 1200 km was made on Motorways. We all had a great time at the Event. The obvious important things were to:
-  meet all participants (but obviously members of our group in particular, including El Presidente :D),
- see all the 210+ Pagodas in one place
- celebrate the anniversary
- drive through the picturesque Sauerland by small roads, their forests, schlosses, lakes and beerstubes :D
- etc etc

But the priceless experience was to be in the traffic jam created exclusively by Pagodas by the schools (pleasant) and to see two Pagodas that had a little traffic accident (unpleasant but rare).    

Many thanks for Peter and Achim and those other members that facilitated the participation in Event.
At the end, I would like to extend my warm thanks for Peter and Achim and those other members that facilitated the participation in this Event. Thank you for all the work you did.
As for Peter: you had a great speech (the only one I understood anyway :-)) and I felt proud of being part of the SL Pagoda Group and for having such a great president.
Achim: you were everywhere, helpful and smiling. I felt sorry that helping the organization excluded you from touring around Willingen. Hope that - as your Pagoda is back to life - you will adequately compensate that experience soon.

Ladies and Gentlemen: I consider the new period of 50 years in the life of our Pagodas open!!! ;D  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:04:34 by Flyair »
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Brian in NL

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Clara
  • American living in the Netherlands & USA
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2013, 07:24:59 »
Fantastic event! Thanks to all who played a role in making it a success.  This was my first event with the W113 Pagoda SL Group, and I returned with lots of memories. Fantastic route, new friends, good beer and lots of time behind the wheel.

Looking forward to next year's event!

;D

Brian
Brian Akre
1967 230 SL, U.S. spec, 050 White, Black top, 116 Kaviar interior, #17,030 of 48,912;
1997 SL 500 Sport, U.S. spec, 269 Tourmaline Green, Parchment interior, #145,506 of 204,940;
1991 Nissan Figaro, Emerald Green, #15,717 of 20,073;
2014 VW GTI, White, daily driver

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2013, 09:20:11 »
Flyair and Brian in NL, it was great to meet you all, and we look forward to seeing you participate in more events that we shall be organising...

All my 259 pictures are uploaded here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/114896020499069304582

Peter

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2013, 11:15:25 »
Hello to everyone that attended. Great to meet so many fellow Pagodaists. Absolutley brilliant organisation by the German Pagoda club and a wonderful 3 days. My pictures & video's can be found here http://sdrv.ms/14GZb22
Alf

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2013, 19:32:42 »
Praise, praise and praise again .....
for the organizers of the 33rd Annual Meeting of the SL clubs in cooperation with PT and Pagoda SL Group sl113.org. This text on a bus - step in and feel happy - says exactly the feeling you got when arriving at the MB dealership Witteler in Brilon.

A feeling that remained for three days.

With abundant tea, coffee, cakes, soup and sandwiches the arriving participants were welcomed.

The reception team warmly welcomed everyone and handed out a bag with information. Including a beautiful road book with very clear road map for the tour on Saturday.

But first we had a tour in the former Ramsbeck mine.

Also there the Pagodentreff.de chief Detlef Hahn was on duty.

In the museum the objects  which were used in the mine were exhibited. One object could be usefull for  Pagodaisten who smell gas in there car.

Then it became serious. From tourists, we were converted into blue-collar men and women . The PT-chief feared the worst. He never expected that he should earn the excursion by working as a miner.

As blue-colar woman you have to get used to the narow conditions.

Then we were rolled 300 meters into the mine.

Once there, we felt a little guilty to drive our pagoda. The soldering of the wiring and the tinning of the noches would not have been done without the work of the miners who worked here. Men mostly not older than 40, died from pneumoconiosis and deaf from the noise. This drilling yielded a volume of200 db .

Happily trip into the mine was not a one way trip so we could enjoy the Ettelsberg the evening meal. On the way back from the mine to the hotel the bus driver had said  that Sauerland is the Dutch Alps. He was right: high on the slope of the mountain we were greeted by Alpine horns. The beers on the ground made clear that the musicians are real Germans.

In the evening all pagodas were there. Pagodas everywhere, even on the tennis court.

On Saturday was the tour. With 700 signs accurately marked, it the trail was easy to follow. It made me to relax: on a corner I did not notice that my predecessor had not gone away. His metal on the back was harder than my head light glass.

Pity but shards bring luck. The first luck was that at the meeting glasses were for sale. So I could go home with a sound glass .

The gala evening we passed with good conversation and entertainment.

On Sunday  the official end of the 50th Year was celebrated at the Mühlenkopfschanzewith with all pagodas together.

The last one was parked spectacular.

Then the paths of the participants separated from an impressive meeting. Hats off to the organizers who made a perfect meeting run smoothly and flexibly with German thoroughness!!!!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2013, 20:18:46 »
Thank you to "Everyone" ! for sharing those fabulous photograph.

Alf, Thanks for taking those great on route videos
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 23:41:15 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2013, 23:34:53 »
Great being with the SL113 group at Willingen.  Spectacular venue and well planned event.  The rally was really amazing and I only missed one sign!  Thanks to Achim especially for his effort in advance planning, in working the event and overall coordination with the rest of the clubs.  And for our tireless leader Peter, who had the best speech of the Gala event!

Already looking forward to Goodwood in 2014!

Best,

Tom, Mary Catherine and Margaret
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

dwahi

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2013, 11:18:39 »
Hi all

Amazing to see all the pictures, I relaly missed out this year!

Tom, is the SL meet in Goodwood next year or are you referring to the other festivals / shows there? thanks
W113 280SL Auto 050G

Previous:
Porsche 968 Cobalt Blue (photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67828893@N00/tags/porsche968/)
VW GTi Mk VI
VW Jetta Mk II

star63

• Senior
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2013, 11:45:47 »
Arrived in Finland this morning.
Fantastic event, wonderful people, great pictures...
THANK YOU !

- Petri

Petri
'67 250 SL (early)
Finland

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2013, 16:42:16 »
Petri, good to see you made it back. How many miles did you cover this trip? You car must be run in now?

Peter

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2013, 16:43:25 »
Tom, is the SL meet in Goodwood next year or are you referring to the other festivals / shows there? thanks

Dwahi, see this post: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18061.0

BTW, for these events it helps if you use a real name on the forum!

Peter

star63

• Senior
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2013, 19:31:10 »
Petri, good to see you made it back. How many miles did you cover this trip? You car must be run in now?

We took a ferry from Travemünde. The actual kilometers including our side trips was about 1500 km. Way less than our PL team...

- Petri
Petri
'67 250 SL (early)
Finland

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2013, 19:49:31 »
Alf, Thanks for taking those great on route videos

Glad you liked them Rolf-Dieter. I'll pass on your appreciation to my daughter Emily who shot them

Cheers, Alf
Alf