Author Topic: Noisy soft top !  (Read 7749 times)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
Noisy soft top !
« on: March 31, 2013, 15:58:36 »
Hi all,

I took the hard top out as spring is here and I drove around with the soft top up for the first time. I was surprised by how noisier it is at highway speed ! There is a lot of aerodynamic noise coming from the junction between the soft top and the top of the windshield. I checked with my hand all along the seam and there is no air coming in. Outside all looks normal. Is there something I am missing? Is it normal for the soft top to be so much noisier than the hard top? Is there something I can do to reduce that noise? I think it's going to be quite an inconvenience on long highway trips !

Thanks for the help !

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
Re: Noisy soft top !
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 16:08:49 »
Unlike modern soft tops, you will notice that the Pagoda's is thin by comparison. Not a lot of noise insulation. If your front seal between the soft top and the windshield is solid and you want to keep the car true to the data card, I am not aware of anything that can be done. Other members of the forum may have suggestions.
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 16:42:26 »
If you mean road noise then there is nothing you can do but if you
have a drumming type noise from the soft top then make sure the front edge
is curled down.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 00:24:03 »
One other item to check is to be sure the small urethane (I think) washers are in place for the latches at the windshield header. Not so much for wind noise (although they do help for ensuring a snug fit) but for creaks and groans.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 17:55:50 »
I have a noise issue as well. When the top is up and the windows are up I get a thumping noise from behind the windshield to the first support rod. The front support does bounce from the wind. If I put pressure on the support rod or if I lower the windows a few inches the noise does decrease
I don't know if its the same noise as GGR.  My top isn't original I just assumed it was a poor instillation.
Any thoughts appreciated.....
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 18:32:26 »
As previously said the thumping or drumming is caused by turbulence because the front edge of the
soft top is curled up. Make sure it is folded down along the front edge, this may involve taking the joint
apart and re glueing pulling the top nice and tight and folded down along the front edge.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Kayvan

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 14:49:34 »
There is a front rubber strip; classic center just changed mine

Also there are thick rubber inserts between side of frame (above window area, between metal frame and canvas); many are missing after canvas is redone.

http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/en/230-280SL-W113/78-Softtop-Hardtop/77-Softtop-230SL-250SL-280SL/

A snug fit around entire perimeter of top stops buffetting and flapping
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 15:35:13 by Kayvan »

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 15:16:44 »
Thanks for all your replies.

The noise I am experiencing is an aerodynamic noise, i.e. the noise of the wind hitting/flowing around the front top hedge of the top. It's more like a hissing noise. No drumming.

The top looks ok, though I would need to compare with another one to see if it is curled upwards too much or not. The soft top looks new, and I had difficulties locking the back once the front hooks are in place. May be the fit is too tight and therefore pulling the material backwards and curling the front too much upwards in the process. I will know once I'm able to compre with another Pagode side by side.

In general, do people note more noise with the soft top than with the hard top?

George Des

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 14:25:12 »
No doubt you are going to get more noise with the soft top. The hardtop on these cars is very well made and solid as can be. The heavy weight combined with the insulation and tight fit all around make for a totally different sound level, especially on the highway. My sense is that the soft top is basically protection for those days when it rains. This may explain why with the little rain they have in So Ca, the California coupes have no soft top at all.

ptooner

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 00:53:59 »
Yes you do get a LOT more noise with the soft top.  Mine is pretty recent and fits nicely but the road noise is amazing.  There is a long 4 lane per side bridge near me that when you cross it in traffic it's loud enough to give you a head ache.  We have forgotten how noisey it is out there since modern cars are so amazingly quiet.  My 230 does not exhibit any "drumming" noises but it also doesn't keep any out.  FWIW I've had mine beyond 100 with the soft top and it does fine except for a tendency for the side windows to pop out of the rubber tracks. 
Gerry

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 03:49:36 »
....  FWIW I've had mine beyond 100 with the soft top and it does fine except for a tendency for the side windows to pop out of the rubber tracks.  ....
Gerry,
that is why Mercedes recommends in the Owner's manual:
"If the side panes are cranked up at a speed of
more than 75 mph (120 km/h), we also recommend
closing the air volume control lever.
"
The cabin becomes pressurized with closed windows since the air exit passage ways between the top and the chassis are quite narrow.
So something has to pop and you hope it is not the top!  ;)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 08:54:27 »
I never knew that and had my windows pop frequently... Thanks Alfred!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!