Author Topic: Blue vs Yellow Trim Clips  (Read 5928 times)

taxesq

Blue vs Yellow Trim Clips
« on: March 19, 2013, 13:41:02 »
Last summer I noticed one of my pieces of aluminum trim (the rear quarter panel, after the door) fell off along with the blue trim clips.  I  recently ordered a new aluminum trim and blue clips but have found that the body work on the car is too thick for the normal blue clips, probably the reason it fell off - looks like the previous owner jury rigged them in there.  I did some research through the forums and found the following post: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=2981.0   This specified that there are yellow clips with a greater depth to compensate for issues like this.  I contacted Buds Benz (who have been extremely helpful over the past few months - fielding questions, orders, etc.)  They told me the blue and yellow clips are the same, including the depth.  Does anyone have any insight into this?  I'd like to know before I order yellow clips - only place I have found them is on SLS where they will end up costing around $50, which includes shipping. 

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
Re: Blue vs Yellow Trim Clips
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 16:37:30 »
I bought some brand new clips  locally, they are all white. Never saw any yellows or blues.
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 17:40:41 »
.....They told me the blue and yellow clips are the same, including the depth. .....
It is your decision.
You can either trust what someone told you over the phone or can actually measure them.  ;)
The white pieces are inserts to spread out the plug and secure it further - but you do not need to put one in every clip.
After you have lost your first trim piece on a bumpy road you'll know what is more economical in the long run. Buy the yellow one if you have more than one paint layer and a few white plugs and metal "nails" as described in the link .

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

taxesq

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 16:41:23 »
Thanks 66andBlue, completely agree and am ordering the yellow clips. 

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:54:13 »
The yellow/white clips are for use on the door mouldings, the blue go on the fender and rear quarter.  There also twelve metal locks used (I think) to provide tension between the clips and the mouldings.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 20:28:43 »

The white pieces are inserts to spread out the plug and secure it further - but you do not need to put one in every clip.

Hello Alfred,

What I meant above, is that the clips I have look exactly like the yellows and blues and not just inserts. I can show pics if you want.

Dan
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 20:36:39 »
The yellow/white clips are for use on the door mouldings, the blue go on the fender and rear quarter.  There also twelve metal locks used (I think) to provide tension between the clips and the mouldings.

The metal points on the twelve metal locks (two per molding) are to keep the moldings from sliding fore and aft on the blue or yellow clips, thus avoiding bent moldings when they slide over the door gap and get bent when the door is opened or closed.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)