Author Topic: Seat cover question  (Read 4921 times)

113gray

Seat cover question
« on: July 08, 2004, 08:01:10 »
I have new vinyl seat covers (supplied by Bud's) installed & am reasonably happy with them. However, at the bottoms, they are supposed to be secured by a 3/4" wide flap around the bottom edge that inserts into a receiving metal bracket. The problem is, mine won't stay put. As one sits on the seat, the vinyl on the side surfaces relaxes & the flap works its way out of the bracket. I suspect others have had this experience & wonder how they solved it before trying on my own. I wouldn't think hog rings would be ideal as they have to penetrate the vinyl and may tear it. Contact cement is ? a better possibility, but possibly awkward & messy to apply. Or maybe, after fitting, the metal is meant to be hammered W/ a plastic mallet until it firmly holds the fabric. Any ideas or help out there?      -JP-

tuultyme

Re: Seat cover question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 09:31:12 »
Did you replace your pads?  Old ones may not have enough support to stretch out the material.  You may try adding extra foam instead.  When I replace my seat covers (leather) at the corner of the back I used contact cement to attach the leather to the inside of the metal frame.  I used it sparingly and used clamps till it dried.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 06:43:05 »
Hi JP,

Did you fold the carboard over so that the sewn edge goes into the groove?

That would shorten the sides of the vinyl and put it under some tension.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

113gray

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 13:34:10 »
Bruce  & Bob, thanks for responses. Yes I had new (foam) pads installed with the new covers. The material on the seat sides seems the proper length, but the cardboard lip at the bottoms won't stay in the metal groove provided for it. When one sits on the seat, the side fabric naturally wrinkles as the thickness of the seat becomes less from the weight of a fanny (& it's attachments), fabric tension is lost causing the cardboard lip to fall out. For this reason, I was wondering about contact cement or possibly bending the metal groove closed to hold the fabric edge better.     -JP-

A Dalton

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 13:48:42 »
<<Did you fold the carboard over so that the sewn edge goes into the groove?
>>

That is what I do , but was never sure if that is the correct procedure or if it just fit better due to the seats/springs being old and worn..
 I get mine from GAHH and they sure do fit well doing the fold/cardboard trick.
 Anyone know, for sure?????

n/a

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 15:19:50 »
I have rebuilt 2 sets of 280SL seats, both were folded such that the sewn edge goes first into the groove. My new covers were also from Bud's and I dont have a problem with these coming undone, but I see no harm in either some contact cement or slight crimping the groove in a few spots.

quote:
Originally posted by A Dalton

<<Did you fold the carboard over so that the sewn edge goes into the groove?
>>

That is what I do , but was never sure if that is the correct procedure or if it just fit better due to the seats/springs being old and worn..
 I get mine from GAHH and they sure do fit well doing the fold/cardboard trick.
 Anyone know, for sure?????

Mike McMahon, Baltimore MD
1970 280SL 4-speed manual
olive green ext, bamboo int