Author Topic: wood restoration  (Read 5058 times)

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
wood restoration
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:53 »
As I am proceeding with the general restoration of my car, I wanted to share with you an excellent address for wood restoration. There is just an incredible wood restorer that I can recommend, based on what I have experienced.

In my case, the wood is completely warned out, tired and with marks of unprofessional fitting. Besides the usual set of four pieces, I have also the hardtop wood that is bended, and even damaged at one end, courtesy of bad storage by the last owner (I was told). The final result is beyond expectations. The guy is able to turn scrap stuff into shiny and joyful part that would adorn the car again.     

I must say that looking at pics on his website is a pure pleasure, but seeing it in real is a must. Too bad he is located in North Poland, quite away from everywhere . The website is in English and German. If you click at the pic showing a Mercedes, it will open showing many models, including our lovely-one.

http://www.autodrewno.com/en/index.php

hope you enjoy it
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Re: wood restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:36:07 »
Has he already renovated your wood,if so how much did it cost?
Eric

w113dude

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:47:56 »
Wow that is amazing work, I'm also very interested to know about cost.

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 18:36:45 »
In my case, for the restoration of the four pieces it was 400€ or about 530 US$. The hardtop wood was 100€. The price may slightly vary depending on the condition of the item. My items were really worn out and in the hardtop wood a piece was missing.
By the way, the owner told me that he is also able to make new pieces if necessary.

Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

w113dude

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 21:30:47 »
Hi Stan,

As soon as I saw his work I emailed him, hope he'll reply, I have a few w111 coupe projects that the wood need to be refinished. if one needs to ship things to Poland what is the best rout? Is the mail reliable?

Thanks,

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 22:13:25 »
You can use UPS, DHL or USPost. I suggest to ask the person at autodrewno (which means car-wood ;)). I am getting parcels from vendors from US by post without any problem. However ask him how to avoid or minimize duties and taxes which you pay on goods traveling between EU and USA. I believe that you should declare it as temporary export for repairs. But the best would be to ask him directly, as he should know the best.
Good luck
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 19:18:42 »
I use a company called Silvercrest here in the UK. Very high standard and will happily re-finish in the veneer of your choice (I like to have them done in burr walnut but the purists hate it) but prob99 not as cheap as Poland!

marek

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 17:44:58 »

Yes he is good, He have done loads of cars for me, latest the 3,5L v8 pagoda in black bird eye  that some of you saw in this years Essen show
top notch work ,and is doing 2 - w111 as we speak  ;D
only one problem , he is a one man band , waiting time is 6-12 months PLUS ...
but if you just want new wood on your pagoda, its cheaper to buy a new set from sls etc

but I have only thumps up for this guy

Marek

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 01:34:17 »
Panie Marku
6-12 month is maybe a bit of exaggeration, unless he gets complex orders :D at least in my case that was 2 months

Stick

just out of curiosity, could you indicate how much Silvercrest would quote for the 4 pieces wood set say in walnut?
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA