Author Topic: Bookmarking posts  (Read 11650 times)

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
Bookmarking posts
« on: October 26, 2012, 17:54:23 »
How do users bookmark posts on the site?

I'm currently flicking around the site on different computers, finding a post of particular interest and then emailing the link to the post with the subject line, of say, 'wheels' to myself so that i don't forget it. Then when on my personal computer i go to my emails and bookmark the URL on my computer- it's quite long winded!

I'm wondering if there is a way to bookmark on the site itself or if this could be added easily sometime in the future. I think, if it can be done, it would be a very useful feature.

if not, what system do people use to bookmark when not on there own computer? Am I missing something obvious?
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD

knockmacool

Re: Bookmarking posts
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:10:35 »
In IE "add a favorite", the little star icon allows you to save and name a web page for latter reference.  At least it avoids the email step

w113dude

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 13:47:45 »
I agree if it can be done through the webpage it will be better, but for now I just save the link of that particular page in my computer and title it as what ever the case maybe.

Drewtee

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 17:26:54 »
At least it avoids the email step

the email is only used when I'm surfing on a shared computer, on holiday or basically on a pc that I cannot add bookmarks to.

If there is a way that the bookmarks can be saved to your profile then it would be a handy feature, although maybe complicated to achieve.

I'm just really noticing that I'm using emailing bookimarks at the moment as i'm on the site more researching different aspects. it's not usually a problem.
Andy Tee

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 16:45:53 »
Andy,
one way of achieving what you want is to use a browser that synchronizes your browsing history independent of the computer that your are using.
Firefox for example does it this way: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-up-firefox-sync?esab=a&s=Firefox+sync&r=2&as=s
However, you need to be comfortable with the idea that all your personal browsing data are now stored "securely" on a server somewhere in the clouds.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Drewtee

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:43:50 »
Alfred,

Now that could do the trick.

I've always been a 'Google' man from day one so it will take some adjustment.   Not sure if i need to download 'Firefox' on each computer and 'device' for this to work but will have a play- This could be the simple solution.
Andy Tee

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 16:48:26 »
Andy,
of course you can do this also with Google's Chrome browser (http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165139) but if you cannot install the browser of your choice on the computer that you are using then you are stuck with what is there.
With Apple's Safari you have to use iCloud (http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Setting-Up-An-Icloud-Account-On-Your-Mac.htm) or Dropbox (http://macs.about.com/od/CloudServices/qt/Sync-Safari-Bookmarks-Using-Dropbox.htm) and apparently you can do it also with IE, although as a Mac user I am not familiar with it.
Another solution is to install a program that syncs across all platforms such as Foxmarks:
http://allthingsd.com/20090204/synchronizing-your-bookmarks-on-all-your-pcs/
There are many other programs (just google "synchronize bookmarks") that claim to do the same.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 19:50:05 »
Doesn't the NOTIFY button at the bottom of the page do something similar
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Drewtee

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 08:20:05 »

There are many other programs (just google "synchronize bookmarks") that claim to do the same.

I'm going to try 'X marks' and see how i get on with that
Andy Tee