Author Topic: Best technique for removing wax from new rubber seals?  (Read 3824 times)

Paul Robinson

Best technique for removing wax from new rubber seals?
« on: October 17, 2012, 18:49:22 »
I assuming that the wax is applied to the injection mold to allow for easier removal after the seal has cured.  Downside is that the wax sticks to the seal upon removal (in my case, a new windshield seal for a W111).  I've had this problem before with 190sl seals.  Anybody have a tried and true method for removing the wax?  I tried soaking the rubber seal in hot water, thinking that the wax would melt.  It got soft and gummy, which really made matters worse  I'm thinking now maybe I'll leave it in the freezer for a few hours to see if the wax might flake off, by hardening it a bit.  In the past I've just used the edge of a dull butter knife as a scraper, but this is very tedious.  Suggestions?

Thanks, Paul

w113dude

Re: Best technique for removing wax from new rubber seals?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 16:30:54 »
Hi Paul,
I agree with you on that nasty wax, I'm in the process of doing the same thing with a w111 coupe rubber seal and what I found works the best is spray 9 it's a kid of degreaser just spry it on with help of a firm brush it comes off.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 19:23:44 »
Try autoglym's silicone remover. It's designed to do that sort of thing.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 21:30:24 »
Use spirit wipe as used in every good body shop to de-contaminate surfaces before painting.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 19:49:54 »
I know that wax is a pain. Being someone who molds rubber however, I think that the wax is not necessarily used for part removal alone.

The wax is an incompatible component in the rubber mix that slowly creeps out AFTER the part is cured. The reason is for UV protection. That coating blocks the harnful rays and prolongs the rubber properties. It is OK to remove the wax on "showy" parts but I would leave it on less exposed ones. On the parts that you have removed the wax, I would use a dressing that has UV protection (no silicone!) like 303.

Bad news.... until the wax supply in the rubber part is exhausted, it will keep coming back slowly.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6