Author Topic: ZF 5 Speeders  (Read 4341 times)

George Des

ZF 5 Speeders
« on: June 26, 2004, 07:02:29 »
Does anyone have a scannable parts breakdown for the ZF 5 Speeds some of us have in our cars. Thnak god for these boards to help in these searches! I need to do the repair work I mentioned in my previous post and want to make sure I've identified the part I need repaired/replaced porperly and how it fits into the the main body of the transmission. I know someone on one of the earlier BBS mentioned they had one or at least access to one. Thanks guys--george Des

113gray

Re: ZF 5 Speeders
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 18:37:17 »
George, I can mail a copy of a 2 page exploded diagram if you wish. If so, email me off list w/ your mailing address. Parts are not named, however.    -JP-

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 20:59:07 »
Hello George and Jim,
I have an exploded 2 page diagram also. It sounds like it may be the same as the one JP has. It has no description but has three digit part numbers on the diagram. I also have a third page which lists the gear ratios of the five speeds. Let me know if this sounds like something you guys need.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

hauser

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 18:19:08 »
A few months past I was dicussing the ZF 5 with a 300sl @ W113 enthusiast. He told me that someone purchased the rights to build these transmissions. Has anyone heard of this?

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

George Des

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 20:07:12 »
Joe,

JP mailed me a copy of the parts breakout for the 5 speed ZF. Thanks, JP. The part that I need to either repair or replace is #803 on the breakout. The left ear on the pinch joint for the speedometer cable has broken off and will no longer allow the small seal that seals the drive to work properly. I've located several places that say they can repair aluminum castings so if I can't locate the replacement, I'll have to go that route. Not looking forward to having to pull the transmission again. This job wouldn't be so bad were it not for all the other things that must be done to get it out i.e. the heat shield and the shft tubes on the top-side. I've heard someone say tje heat shield can be worked around but as I recall iut was a very tight fit in there with it on. Dan C have you been able to find the name of that source in Germany for ZF parts. Anyone out there have any experience with making a repair to the cneter support for the driveshaft ? There are two nuts that float in the underside of the body so that the support can be adjusted. Seesm like one of the nuts on mine has either become stripped or is not sitting right in the guide. Don't know if this is a cage nut or simply a square nut that rides in the guide. Somewhat similar problem with my front engine hood where the hinges attach. Seems like one of the nuts slid out of the groove when I turned the hood upside down during painting. I know Gernold sells a repair piece, but my hinges did not tear the section away and I'm hesitant to do any of the cutting that Gernold's repair parts require. Any other suggestions on this would be appreciated.

George Des