Author Topic: Steering Wheel restoration Needed  (Read 4717 times)

mcreasy

Steering Wheel restoration Needed
« on: August 31, 2012, 14:37:00 »
I am in Southern California and I tried to apply a clear coat to my steering wheel but it is now sticky and so I need to have it done professionally or find another product to reglaze the wheel with!!...Does anyone know a place that will restore my steering wheel or a product to use myself for a clear coat (not sticky) for the wheel?? Thanks

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Steering Wheel restoration Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 16:02:39 »
You might check with benzrestorer, a member on the forum, who does wheel refurbishing/repair.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

George Des

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 20:17:53 »
The only way to do this and have it last is with a catalyzed paint like a PPG Acrylic Urethane. I used a base clear combo and had no problem with it being sticky or scratching up.

George

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 01:59:13 »
...makes me so happy that I bought a new steering wheel during the restoration, for $150, and sold the old one for $75...

and I hope I don't need another anytime soon.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:10:17 »
I did this with my stick shift knob.  I found someone locally that does cypress clocks and tables.  I took the knob to him and had him dip it in a clear two part epoxy resin.  So far so good.

George Des

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 12:45:20 »
The two part catalyzed paints dry by a chemical reaction and not just by evaporation. The end result is a very hard and durable finish. I did my steering wheel by first roughing up the surface with a fine grade sandpaper and then filling the cracks with an epoxy putty which was then sanded smooth. The whole wheel was then painted with two part epoxy primers and then a two part PPG primer surfacer and then sanded smooth. A few coats of uncatalyzed PPG basecoat were then covered with 2-3 coats of a PPG catalyzed clear. You need to be very careful with the catalyzed clear since it contains polyisocaynates which are highly toxic especially in a confined environment. The epoxy primer has no isocyanates but you should still be careful where you spray it and still wear a respirator when using it. I have a high volume-low pressure spray system that I used to do most of the work on my restoration, but for this small project, I actually used one of the disposable Preval spray systems and it worked out just fine.

George

BABAK

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, CA, Valencia
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 18:23:03 »
The best way is to break off all the old  plastic use the metal piece for the plastic injection mold. Just like new

Filling in the cracks and painting is a lot of work and does not last that long before it starts cracking again

69 280sl dark olive automatic
71 280sl bronze brown
70 280se coupe light Ivory
59 190sl
61 190sl
www.vintageeuroparts.com

Louis

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 20:30:42 »
But what a beautiful design these wheels are....I just love them !!