Author Topic: Windshield tint / manufacturer  (Read 5067 times)

bjudd

Windshield tint / manufacturer
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:08:43 »

A glass installer showed up with what I was told would be a windshield made by the same people who produce them for Mercedes.  He delivered a PGW - made in Mexico tinted green (throughout and with band on top) windshield.  From what I was told I would presume that I was getting a PPG, not a brand that I see no posts about on this site. 

The glass is in the rubber seal with the trim on as well ready to install.  Since we ran into a problem with the wood and dash protruding too far, the windshield was set aside so I could deal with the dash issues.  My questions are:

Would a european 280 from '69 have had tint throughout?  (my side windows have no tint)

Has anyone used a PGW windshield?   Quality?  I see that PPG is the manufacturer that people refer to as making them for Mercedes now.

Thank you,

Brian

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Windshield tint / manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:16:41 »
 PPG sold off its PPG Auto Glass subsidiary to Kohlberg&Company which renamed it PGW:
http://www.ppg.com/en/newsroom/news/Pages/20080708.aspx
http://raysands.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/ppg-auto-glass-is-now-pittsburgh-glass-works-still-oem/
So if you wanted PPG then you should be happy.

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

bjudd

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:26:58 »

Thank you for that valuable information!   Nothing worse than thinking you've been misled.  Great to know I was not.

Still interested in tinting info.  How much would the green in the glass have faded over time?  I recall a very slight tint (didn't see the car for a long time), and this new one is four times darker throughout the glass which is no longer around.  UV?   

Thank you,

Brian

doll

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:07:47 »
If your car was initially sold in California and the front windows are tinted, then you can assume that it was done aftermarket as ALL dealerships are required by law to follow state laws, so they couldn't sell you a car with front tinted windows if California doesn't allow for it (which means it's definitely aftermarket).

===========
vehicle shipping

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 14:09:24 »
Separate "tint" in the glass from the "sunshade tint" running along the top.

The sunshade is on the vinyl plastic that goes between the two layers of glass that create laminated safety glass for a windshield.

Windshield and other glass made today for automotive use generally has a slight greenish tint; and this is more pronounced today than it was 40 years ago.

The reason is that clear glass must be made from virgin material and costs more.  Therefore, nearly all automotive glass today has a bit of a tint to it, some more than others.

In addition to the tint of the glass, much glass today has a heat reflecting coating; did you ever see the old trademark Solex?

The dark plastic films added to rear window glass aftermarket is an entirely different matter.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 21:06:49 »
FWIW, I got my 280's windshield from Mercedes and it has "APG" in the bottom left corner.

My understanding is that there are three windshields available under PN 113 671 xx 10, and, that US 280s had tinted windshields.

02 = tinted with band
03 = clear
04 = tinted

Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA