Author Topic: door pull install  (Read 5875 times)

Jkalplus1

door pull install
« on: July 24, 2012, 18:30:56 »
Gents,

My door panels are newly upholstered.  The previous owner died before he finished the car completely, so little things -like the passenger door pull- are not installed. 

This newly upholstered door panel shown no outside marking to identify wher the door pull will go.  I am asking the question before I start disassembling anything:

How is it installed?  I did look at the Wiki, but was unable to ascertain if it bolts into some structural element of the door, or if the door pull is simply attached to the door panel with a big flat washer at the back to prevent ripping it.  Knowing MB the former is more likely to be the case, but I'd rather ask before doing something stupid.

If there are holes that need to be aligned with structural elements where the handle will get screwed to, is there a way to mark the door panels so I know exactly whre to make the holes?  Last thing I want is to screw it up, and I have no money for the upholsterer.  It appears to be a simple job, I just want to make sure.  thanks!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: door pull install
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 23:11:21 »
Hey J, well you seem to get me today....

If the boards behind the new upholstery were replaced, the panels usually have small cut-outs where the screws will come though. And you are correct, that MB does things right, and that the pulls are bolted into the door itself. There are four holes on the door frame (2 up 2 down). You should be able to see them (both the holes in the door and the cut-outs on back of panel)...with the door card off. If it's already on the door securely (ie the other chrome what-nots are in place), you have two options:

1. remove everything, thus allowing you to lift the door panel off, see the holes, and perhaps do some measuring to get close to lining up the handle screws. You can poke a very small hole through the uphol. to get lined up for the final screwing. Its a little nerve wracking but once one is in place the others line up.

Option 2 is to do it all with the panel in place. You would need to carefully measure and push and prod a bit until you find the holes. If you had some general measurements from others it might help. Either way, you have to have the four screws, and small washers. In my case the hole sizes have changed over the years -- so my screws are a bit hodge-podgey. Yours are probably correct. I can get the part numbers if you need them.

The chrome caps on the door pull cover quite a bit and so you have a little room for poking to get the screws lined up. Good luck! and look at the bright side -- early cars like mine had pulls on both sides!! Twice as much fun...
James
63 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 23:12:43 »
Oh and I just noticed yours is early too! Check around here to see when the cut-off was for the driver's side pull. If you only have the one in your box of parts, I think you are fine...
James
63 230SL

Jkalplus1

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:04:44 »
Thanks a lot!
According to the Wiki (and my parts box), my car is a single door pull model (September 64).  It still has the vertical spare and impossible-to-find trunk mat, etc.
Thanks for the tips!  I will look at the wiki picture and try to interpolate measurements.  It will be a little difficult because of the angle.

KevinC

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 21:07:30 »
I think James had the right idea..." remove everything, thus allowing you to lift the door panel off, see the holes, and perhaps do some measuring to get close to lining up the handle screws. You can poke a very small hole through the uphol. to get lined up for the final screwing." I bet this is easier than detemining location and placement angle blindly.

Jkalplus1

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 15:50:57 »
Hey J, well you seem to get me today....

If the boards behind the new upholstery were replaced, the panels usually have small cut-outs where the screws will come though. And you are correct, that MB does things right, and that the pulls are bolted into the door itself. There are four holes on the door frame (2 up 2 down). You should be able to see them (both the holes in the door and the cut-outs on back of panel)...with the door card off. If it's already on the door securely (ie the other chrome what-nots are in place), (...)

I read the Wiki and it seems to me it says you actually use the door pull (no. 7 in the pictures) to lift off the door panel from the door.  If the door pull attaches to the door itself like you say, I do not see how this will work.  I understand what you write here, it seems to me it contradicts what the Wiki says, just want to make sure before I start un-doing stuff.  Perhaps we can update the Wiki with what you wrote me, otherwise I might have just installed -wrongly- the door pull through the cardboard door panel, and it would not be very strong I don't think.

Montreal V8

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 16:09:42 »
I recently fitted a driver side door pull, and did it as follows. Removed  the door panel, screwed four round headed screws into the mounting holes, carefullly refitted the panel, then tapped the area over the screws using a soft hammer, thereby leaving the imprints of the screws to show where to place the holes. Hope this helps. Dale.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 18:30:58 »
J, the door pull must be removed before the door panel can be lifted out.  Once everything has been removed (winder, door pull, chrome trim etc) I use the arm rest to lift the door panel out.  I'm not sure about the early 230's but my door (late 230) also has a screw under the arm rest.  Once the door panel is off you should be able to see the screw holes for the door pull.  Mine has two screws on each end of the pull.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 13:03:16 »
J, do you have the hard case map pockets on your doors (early Euro )?  These door pulls are different in attachment to panels and doors.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Jkalplus1

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 18:38:54 »
J, do you have the hard case map pockets on your doors (early Euro )?  These door pulls are different in attachment to panels and doors.
Bob

Yes, I have the hard case map pockets.  Maybe this is why the Wiki says one thing and the people who replied to my post said something slightly different.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 19:28:47 »
Well, it does appear that the instructions in the wiki say to lift door off with the handle. In my case, 230SL Euro w/hard pockets, that would never work. The door pulls are screwed into the door frame. After everything is removed, including pulls, I simply grab the door by the hard pocket and lift it up and off. Cannot speak for later models. Oh and my 1963 does not have that singular screw under the arm rest.
James
63 230SL