Author Topic: Cleaning & Restoring my engine bay  (Read 2230 times)

Markbhai

Cleaning & Restoring my engine bay
« on: May 07, 2012, 20:57:04 »
First of all apologies for posting a similar post in two places, but I wasnt sure where it fit best.

This coming winter I will need to get my engine bay re-sprayed as it is rusting in places, so this got me considering what I can do on my engine before then to save some costs on this cosmetic restoration.  So I have a list of questions if anyone can help:

1. The engine is very dirty, what is the best way to clean this to take it back to its original finish? - I know some have polished thiers but I believe the original is not polished.
2. The brake servo cylinder has some surface rust, what is the best paint to repaint with given its location close to possible heat sources?
3. Can I remove the brake servo cylinder without having to re-bleed the brakes?
4. All of the original linkages are starting to show surface rust, is there a product to restore these? - Do I just repaint?  These appear to be originally a silver grey colour.

My knowledge on engines is not great, so I would only really attempt jobs where I dont need to re-build things again afterwards, mainly as I want to keep the car running over summer.

Thanks

Mark.