Author Topic: About originality of "stock" aircon systems on Pagodas  (Read 6842 times)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
About originality of "stock" aircon systems on Pagodas
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:40 »
Hi all,

My 280SL came with what I thought was stock aircon. but I then read that these systems were fitted by the dealers, not by MB at the factory. I'm wondering what was involved exactly. Did the dealer replace the front suspension springs and/or pads to compensate for the additional weight in the front?

How original is a 280SL fitted with an aircon system by the dealer ?

How original is now my 280 SL with the dealer aircon system removed ?

Thanks for all comments !
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 13:21:09 by GGR »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: About originality of "stock" aircon systems on Pagodas
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:55:58 »
Excellent question

I was told that all UK cars were shipped without radios. In the UK, the radios were a dealer option and when added were mostly NOT Becker units (Motorola, IIRC). You'd think there's be a glut of blanking plates somewhere
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 13:59:19 »
As long as the removal was done sympathetically it should't effect value since there will be no documentation from MB nor a notation on the datacard.  I have the Frigiking manual for the installation and there is no mention of stiffer springs etc.

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 14:18:24 »
My car is sitting a bit higher in the front now. I measured the diameter of the front spring wire and it is the same as the one on the sedans, when if I remember well the Pagoda's should be a bit smaller according to the BBB. I wonder if they fitted some W108 front springs ?

I also have these two holes in the firewall for the aircon hoses now. They may "diappear" with a new pad, which would be a shame as mine is in very good original condition.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 18:09:29 »
... I also have these two holes in the firewall for the aircon hoses now. They may "diappear" with a new pad, which would be a shame as mine is in very good original condition.
If its is in very god condition then I would not remove it. Rather ask for remnants of old pads that are being removed and cut out two disks to fill the holes.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 18:25:22 »
If its is in very god condition then I would not remove it. Rather ask for remnants of old pads that are being removed and cut out two disks to fill the holes.

That's a very good suggestion.

hank sound

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 00:50:22 »
Hi GGR,

Did you remove the A/C, or did you buy your Pagoda already minus the A/C? 

Cheers, Hank

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:37:59 »
I did remove the A/C, I'm not a fan of A/C in general, and even less of the system that was installed.

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 16:42:21 »
Another question. MB factory fitted with aircon came with additional thermic insulation. I remember my 6.3 had that aluminum foil looking insulation in addition to the rest (my W108 3.5 did not have it).

My pagoda has that aluminised insulation under the carpets. Is it standard on all '71 280SLs? Or did the dealers went all the way up to addding additional insulation to be on par with sedans originally fitted with aircon?

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 18:04:04 »
Excellent question

I was told that all UK cars were shipped without radios. In the UK, the radios were a dealer option and when added were mostly NOT Becker units (Motorola, IIRC). You'd think there's be a glut of blanking plates somewhere
That was true here in the states as well. Dealer installed the radios and antennas. When I traded in my 250SL for my 280SL, I kept the radio and installed it in the 280 myself (the radio static suppression gear was factory installed). I was lucky that they left the 250's radio blank plate in the car and drilling the hole in the 280's fender for the antenna brought a bit of perspiration to the brow:-) BTW, the radio, a Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" AM/FM/SW was $170 which was a fair piece of change back then. I am also happy to say that radio still works and, if the weather is just right, can even still pick up a German SW station once in a while:-)

And GGR, not sure about the 71's but the 69's just came with a "waffle" pattern jute type underlayment.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Tom Colitt

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 22:24:51 »
GGR

The air conditioning was always installed by the dealer, but the 70 and 71 cars were already fitted with that aluminum insulation material on the floor boards (which weren't actually made of board :-)... The 108 springs are correct for your car. I think Mercedes anticipated a large amount of these cars would be fitted with dealer installed (factory authorized) AC systems and if you look at the spring charts in the BBB you'll find that the stiffer springs were separated by groups of additional weight, like automatic transmission, hard top, AC, etc...., so it didn't matter too much if the car ended up without the AC.

You wouldn't believe how many differences I've seen in the way the dealers followed the MB/ Frigiking instructions for installation. Some (not few...) even went so far as to hack saw (torch cut) out the baffle plate for the air cleaner housing to make more room for the AC compressor installation and servicing. All in all, these AC systems were quite a nuisance and detriment to the life of various components inside the Pagoda although they could be made to work satisfactorily if you take your time. You certainly won't lose any value by removing it and keeping the parts for the next owner and Alfred's suggestion of plugging up the holes would work very well if this is a very nice, original car....

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:09:03 »
The air conditioning was always installed by the dealer, but the 70 and 71 cars were already fitted with that aluminum insulation material on the floor boards (
Thank you Tom for that piece of information.
I hadn't read that yet and I've been wondering about my aluminum insulation. It has nice factory looking features like a round hole for the snap, so I was thinking it was from the factory. It is nicely tailored to fit. It doesn't look like someone like me fitted it.
As you know, my car is an early '70. It never had a/c.
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:52:15 »
I have been told, altho I don't remember by whom, that A/C was also added at the ports of entry by specialty firms. A high volume dealer would probably prefer this. All the vendor did was A/C installations so they probably had an economy of scale that the dealer couldn't achieve in his back room.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

Tom Colitt

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 07:09:20 »
Hi Gus

I could easily believe that there were vendors like this. The butchered installations then, were probably done by some dealer with little experience as a last minute rush job....

Mark

Yes, I remember your "unusual 1970". I still need to do that write-up on the unusual combination of features your car had and that idle speed control....:-)

P.S. I still have that factory installation material with self-adhesive, brand new. Never used it on my car.