Author Topic: Oil leak around spark plug area  (Read 5601 times)

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
Oil leak around spark plug area
« on: March 03, 2012, 22:53:03 »
hello,
last week I bought my very first Pagoda (230SL) at an auction so I'm new to this forum. I noticed that fresh oil accumulates around the no. 5 spark plug area. I've wiped it clean several times but it soon reappears. I researched this site and found a thread that talked about (leaking) rocker arm pivot bolts. Could this be the source of the oil leak? If so, must I remove the valve cover and rocker arm to tighten the leaking rocker arm pivot bolt?

thanks in advance for any help,,Charles

glenn

Re: Oil leak around spark plug area
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 23:29:20 »
Charles, ....'Leaking rocker arm pivot bolts'???     Snipe hunt territory!..   Sounds like the valve cover gasket is leaking.   It's the u shaped gasket that fits under the valve cover, about 5/6 foot in total length.  Three bolts hold the valve cover on tight to the head thru the gasket.  Check the back one for tightness.  Check all.  Not too tight, tho.  If that doesn't fix it, take the cover off and clean the gasket and head surface where it sits.   If that doesn't fix it, new gasket?$?$?$.

As a new owner, there is a whole list of thing to do to avoid the POND, Pagoda Owner Newness Disasters.   Read this site for guidance.
        Adjust valves, grease all fittings, Change all fluids, Put missing washer above oil filter, oil wiper shafts, check diff oil level, check/replace brake flex hoses,  check brake pads, etc, etc............

Who invented 'leaking rocker arm pivot bolts'?

Mr. Wrench?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 23:36:32 by glenn »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 00:49:07 »
Yes, the mysterious leaks around the spark plugs are most likely caused by oil leaking past the rocker arm pivot. Make sure the valve cover gasket is good before you go to all the work. If you remove the spark plug, you will feel where the pivot bottom actually emerges from the head casting right above the spark plug. You must remove the valve cover, the rocker arm and the "ball stud mount" (pivot). Use sealer on the threads and retorque the unit  back into place. Your mystery leak will be gone.

Now if you will be wondering about the pivots on the other side? They are not visible but open  inside the exhaust port in the head right before the exhaust manifold. Any oil leakage on this side ends up dropping into the exhaust stream and burned off in the exhaust system.

The other items on Glenn's list are valid and good advice.

Keep us up to date!
signed.........

"Mr. Wrench"   ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:14:11 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

glenn

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:40:47 »
Ah yes.  I interpreted it as the rocker arm leaking????.  The ball stud's mount in the head is a source of leaks, too.  Ah, the POND.

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 14:13:00 »
thanks guys, I've learned yet another peculiarity about these roadsters..
take care,,Charles

glenn

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 17:46:57 »
Hi, If you move the ball stud mounting to seal it, you have also altered the valve clearance - 0.003"  on intake, 0.008 on exhaust.  Pagondora Box has been opened....  What about the other 15 ball stud mounts?.?.?  'I won't think about it now,-', a la Scarlett O'Hara...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 18:04:57 by glenn »