Author Topic: A Pillar Chrome Removal  (Read 3603 times)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
A Pillar Chrome Removal
« on: February 26, 2012, 16:41:00 »
How does one get the chrome cover off the A pillar?  ??? ??? I have removed the windshield and all the rubber.  Thankfully there was no rust in the channel anywhere.  I also removed the 3 screws on the front of the chome cover and removed the 5 screws under the rubber window channel (it looked like it was all one piece).  I notice the cover tucks under the chrome piece that runs across the top of the windshield.  Does this need to be removed as well?  The chrome cover does not budge and I don't want to force anything in case I bend it.  Can anyone help?  Many thanks.
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

DavidBrough

Re: A Pillar Chrome Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 18:00:47 »
You will need to remove the top piece as well then carefully leaver the trims off as they are fitted with sealer which will have gone hard

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 18:07:46 »
Thanks David.  The top piece is also on pretty tight.  When they are put back on what sealer should I use behind the chrome pieces.  I am assuming the sealer is to keep water from leaking through.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

George Des

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 18:47:43 »
You might also find that they used some sort of sealant under the chrome that is holding it on as well. You may need to put some slight heat on the chrome with something like a hair dryer to soften up the sealant a bit. I believe I also found some small metal shims under mine when I removed them. Just be careful you don't bend it when you pull it away. Hope this helps.

George

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 19:45:05 »
Thanks George, I did get everything off.  What a process, everything is in layers.  I'll try and explain what I did so as to help anyone else attempting this.

As explained in other posts, the only way to remove the A pillar chrome and the chrome strip across the top of the windshield is to remove the windshield, weatherstripping and aluminum edging.  I removed my windshield from the outside, cutting the weatherstripping on both sides of the aluminum edging.

I removed the rear view mirror, sun visors and interior vinyl strip on each A pillar (held on with 2 screws).

Along the chrome across the top you can now remove the 5 chrome covers along the inside edge (two at the sun visors, one long one in the centre and one at each outside edge)

Remove 3 screws on each A pillar chrome facing forward (these are exposed once windshield is off) as well as the 6 screws securing the chrome across the top of windshield.

Remove rubber weatherstripping in channel on A pillar for side windows.

Remove 5 screws holding channel in place and remove channel (mine was held on pretty securely with a sealant so give it a tap with a rubber mallet to dislodge it).

Under the channel are 2 more screws, one at the top holding the A pillar chrome and chrome across the top and one at the bottom.  Remove these screws.

You should  now be able to remove the chrome piece across the top.  You may need to tap it with a mallet since the outside edges may be secured with some sealant.  You will need to remove the top piece before removing the A pillar chrome.

You can now remove the A pillar chrome.  It is probably held on with sealant.  I used a plastic scraper at the top to pry the chrome away from the A pillar.  If the top is really tight try starting at the bottom.  Then slowly pry the chrome off the pillar.  Do not try this from the centre or you will probably bend the chrome.  On mine, there was some sealant at both the top and bottom but not so much I couldn't get it to move with the plastic scraper.  Once it started moving it came off relatively easily.

Now vacuum up the mess you made around the windshield, interior dash, seats and floor.

I would still like to know what sealant I should use when I put everything back together?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 19:49:06 by Jordan »
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed