Author Topic: Space Saver Spare Wheel  (Read 24234 times)

DavidBrough

Space Saver Spare Wheel
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:20:15 »
As I need a bit more boot space from time to time and don’t want to fit a roof or boot rack I was thinking of obtaining a space saver spare wheel and wondered if anyone knew if there was one available that would fit, I have standard steel wheels and tyres. I did think of just ditching the spare occasionally and using a can of repair spray but I would feel much more comfortable with an actual wheel.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Space Saver Spare Wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 15:45:41 »
...insert sound of crickets for effect...

David, many years ago, one of the first questions I asked on the old Yahoo! 113 forums was this very one.  Unlike you, I got plenty of answers.  Sadly though, none of the answers had anything to do with the question!  They were admonishing the question in the first place, saying why would one want to golf, etc.

Nonetheless, I was a bit alarmed at the amount of space a spare took up, and thought a space-saver might buy some peace of mind and free up enough space for, say, a golf bag.  Nobody could answer the question if any modern Mercedes space saver spare had the same bolt pattern and would fit.  Collectively, "they" did not know the answer now, and today "we" still don't know.  I don't have access to, nor do I own any modern Mercedes vehicles that might have such a spare, so I can't help.  I don't even know if any Mercedes were ever equipped with such a thing.  Never got an answer.

Maybe somebody with a modern Mercedes will check?  ;)

Meanwhile, enjoy the crickets...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:54:53 »
Thanks Michael, at least someone heard the sound of the crickets and that may yet attract more interest and perhaps comment.

TR

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 17:22:07 »
A few years ago I decided to run without a spare.  This came about after having made several long trips (~2K miles) that each time required my wife & I to be on the road for a week or two.  Storage space was at a premium, not only for clothing but also for purchases picked up along the way.  Also, I spoke with a M-B service manager who described for me having sat through a training session where statistics were presented showing there are now fewer passenger tire punctures than in the past.  This, coupled with a "tire repair kit", (meaning a can or two of Fix-A-Flat along with a tiny 12VDC compressor), a cell phone and roadside assistance coverage seemed to help justify the move of some manufacturers to no longer supply a spare tire at all.

Obviously there is some risk in running without a spare; we all know that and I'm not recommending it for others.  But it seems car manufacturers are increasingly making that choice.  If I recall correctly I believe I read / heard somewhat that >10% of new passenger cars ship without a spare and the number was expected to grow.

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 17:51:26 »
I'm wondering how much space a "space-saver" would actually save.  They are the same diameter as your primary tire, just thinner.  Given the way the spare mounts in the car, the space that would be gained would be above or below the tire when stowed.  How much above and how much below depends on the rim/hub configuration.  So maybe you would be able to slide something under the space, and maybe put something on top, but it's not like another suitcase or gold bag will suddenly fit, at least I don't think so.

I kinda like the idea of not carrying a spare, just a tire plug kit and maybe a pump.  I've used plugs many times and always had complete success with them.  They're just no use with a sidewall puncture or tear.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 17:58:13 by twistedtree »
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 19:01:01 »
David

I have thought of your question too but my last two big trips have been with a can of tyreweld and a compressor in the boot. I have just ordered a new daily driver and had to specify a space saver (as opposed to the can/compressor solution)

If the tyre shreds in the Pagoda I am screwed and need a flatbed but a simple puncture should get me home or at least to the next town where I can get a new tyre. Timeconsuming and inconvenient but a calculated risk that I won't need a flatbed - seeing as the spacesaver vs roadside repair is the same outcome: slow, short distance to a tyre shop
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

TR

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 19:55:40 »
I'm wondering how much space a "space-saver" would actually save.  They are the same diameter as your primary tire, just thinner.  Given the way the spare mounts in the car, the space that would be gained would be above or below the tire when stowed.  How much above and how much below depends on the rim/hub configuration.  So maybe you would be able to slide something under the space, and maybe put something on top, but it's not like another suitcase or gold bag will suddenly fit, at least I don't think so.

I kinda like the idea of not carrying a spare, just a tire plug kit and maybe a pump.  I've used plugs many times and always had complete success with them.  They're just no use with a sidewall puncture or tear.
The addition of a tire plug kit, (along with tire sealant and a compressor) is a good idea.  I'll add that to my existing tire kit.

With the spare and mount removed the trunk does offer good volume.  I've not weighed the spare wheel/tire/cover (w/orig. spare Continental whitewall) or the mount with accompanying hardware, but I wonder how much combined weight is being reduced?

As mentioned, I am not suggesting others do this but for me the benefit of significantly increased stowage space justifies the potential risk of not carrying a spare.  Plenty of new cars are doing it now, and it seems to be an increasing practice, so perhaps it's not insane.

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:17:24 »
Are new cars leaving out spares with non-run-flat tires?  My BMW has no spare, but it has run-flats .
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

DavidBrough

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:37 »
Thanks for the input guys, I had considered ther other possibilities but decided that my ideal would be removal of the spare and mounting in favour of a smaller wheel if one can be found that fits.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:38:35 »
Thanks for the input guys, I had considered ther other possibilities but decided that my ideal would be removal of the spare and mounting in favour of a smaller wheel if one can be found that fits.
The bolt pattern is 5 x 112, which is common to Mercedes and some VW, so you might be able to consider VW compact spares in addition to MB compact spares.  If you want to know what MB offered over the years, I suggest you contact the classic center, or post to the classic center on Benzworld.org.   As for VW, I think there is a forum called samba.com or something like that.  You could ask there...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 04:02:08 »
You might google "space saver  5 x 112" and see what you end up with.  I also looked on ebay and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330683587999 which probably doesn't help you because of location, but I'm sure you can find something similar close to home.  For the cost of it, you might just try it and see how it goes...

...checking on ebay.co.uk I see that there are LOTS of space saver tires available for VW, starting at the LOW LOW price of £4.99 !!!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

DavidBrough

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 12:15:35 »
Thanks Scoot, that's great information.

DavidBrough

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 13:06:39 »
Just purchased an 18" space saver for a VW EOS/Touran 5x112 PCD with a 125x70 tyre so I'll let you know if it's any good when it arrives.

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 16:46:38 »
We'll need pictures and a cost!

Don't forget your compressor!
James L

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 22:21:33 »
Well, David--now you know that sometimes you have to prompt people with humor, sarcasm, or embarrassment in order to get a reply.  I can tell you when I was looking for some information from some contributors for Pagoda Style, I had to use both hands, open the mouth, stick my right hand way down, and YANK out the details...figuratively of course.  Left to their own devices, or just a simple email, well...crickets... ;)

Now, that being said, please let us know how it all works out.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 13:37:54 »
I spent some time on this issue as well.  For a time, Mercedes offered a "Donut" spare that had a smaller circumfrence and came with an air pump.  They were quite expensive and are no longer provided.  I don't know how well the tire material would age.  And it had two known faults.  If you used it, you couldn't re-compress it and if you had packed for it's volume, where would you carry the flat? 

I recently bought a 185/65 tire for $39 as a spare.  The diameter is smaller and it weighs a few pounds less.  With this spare, or the VW space saver, you should keep in mind that if the diameter is smaller than your rear tires, don't drive with it on the back or risk damaging the differential.  Move the front tire to the rear and put the small spare on the front.  (If I've only got to go 2 miles at slow speed, I'll probably cheat.  ::))

Attached is a photo of the tire failure I had on the way to PUB 2011.  Noticed a bit of wobble and a vibration and limped into Clarksburg, WV.   Bought a new set of whitewalls as a result. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

DavidBrough

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 16:10:22 »
New wheel has now arrived with only partial success I’m afraid. It’s virtually the same diameter as the original and it looks like the bolt pattern is the same but the hub centre is too small by about 10mm so I’ll have to take it to the machine shop and have the centre enlarged a bit before I can actually try it on the car. It does seem quite a bit thinner and lighter though and should release quite a bit of extra boot space.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 22:30:06 »
Attached is a photo of the tire failure I had on the way to PUB 2011.  Noticed a bit of wobble and a vibration and limped into Clarksburg, WV.   Bought a new set of whitewalls as a result. 

Classic steel belt, belt separation?  Had it happen twice but caught it way before you did.  How old was this tire?  Looks like a lot of heat-age cracking between the treads...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 02:49:23 »
"If you carry a space saver spare, where do you put the failed tire after you change it on the road side?"

I never thought about that, and it's a really good guestion.  If you want a space saver it's because  you need to fit more stuff in your trunk, and with all that extra stuff in the trunk, you no longer have room for the full size tire you take off the car.  So what's the point of the space saver tire?

I guess for me I'd either carry the full size spare, or roll the dice and carry a plug kit and no spare at all.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 23:52:35 »
Michael,
The tire was 8 years old.  I had intended to replace the set when I returned from the trip.  I have always heard that after 7 years, all tires should be replaced as a precaution.  This is the first belt separation I've suffered since my first set of radials in 1970. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Rodolfo

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 18:16:15 »
It makes sence to just take a tire plug along. On motortrips that is also the solution, and those tires are even more vulnerable.

Maybe that way I could have enough space to put a mountainbike in the trunk.
Or a foldable bike.

Rudy

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 20:52:38 »
...insert sound of crickets for effect...

David, many years ago, one of the first questions I asked on the old Yahoo! 113 forums was this very one.  Unlike you, I got plenty of answers.  Sadly though, none of the answers had anything to do with the question!  They were admonishing the question in the first place, saying why would one want to golf, etc.

I missed this post first time around, more's the pity. But having seen it resurrected it seems to be the perfect opportunity, Michael, to refresh one of my several favourite Winston Churchill quotes about the thoroughly wretched game that is golf.  As the former Colonel of my Regiment noted, "golf is a game played by those without their own land to walk upon." Come and read our quotes book if you're here for the 50th in Germany.

Carrying tyre weld and a mobile 'phone + ADAC cover seems to work. 

Hope that helps!  ;D
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 17:19:43 »
One of the things I like to show off is how big the boot is on our cars compared to modern convertibles. I have no problem fitting a fully stocked normal size golf bag, a collapsable golf trolley and shoe bag in the boot without having to remove the spare. 
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 15:49:23 »
One of the things I like to show off is how big the boot is on our cars compared to modern convertibles. I have no problem fitting a fully stocked normal size golf bag, a collapsable golf trolley and shoe bag in the boot without having to remove the spare. 

MBCA members might read the article I wrote for the last issue of the Star, concerning my Aunt (83 years old) and my father (89) who picked up her SLK on European delivery and proceeded to tour for 2 weeks with it around Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland.

One sincere operative planning strategy was dragging various sorts of stuffed soft luggage to the local MB dealer in NY, to see what would fit.  There's about as much room in the new SLK as our glovebox and half the space behind the seats...and that's divided up into various little cubby-hole storage places.  By contrast, the Pagoda is loaded with storage space, as Alf notes...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:22 »
And the wheelbase/track is about the same, is it not?
James L