Author Topic: What have you done to your Pagoda today?  (Read 405517 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: What have you done to your Pagoda today?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2012, 15:39:40 »
Fixed...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

PeterW113

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2012, 18:49:32 »
Few days back now, but I dropped my daughter off in my Pagoda early Sunday morning for her school trip. Nobody noticed the Range Rovers, BMW's and other 4x 4's but plenty of admiring glances and comments for the Pagoda. My daughter felt special, worth a million.......!

Peter
Peter
1968 MB 280SL, RHD Auto
1968 Lotus Elan +2
1965 Fiat 500
2004 BMW 1200 GS

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2012, 22:23:14 »
I had almost the same experience today, except my daughter told me she was feeling somewhat uncomfortable because the car was drawing too much attention...you know how teens can be sometimes! ;D
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: What has Peter done to hisPagoda yesterday?
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2012, 13:33:05 »

Pentecost Monday ...

Pentecost Monday?  I tell you, you Europeans find any excuse for a holiday... :D
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Wolfmann

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2012, 13:30:23 »
Found the clamp and large wing nut for the vertical spare wheel in a box of "leftovers", cleaned it up and installed it. Small thing but one of those many little jobs to do after a full restoration.

Even though the engine had a full rebuild there was a tiny leak from the front crankshaft seal, the boys at the shop replaced the seal, spacer and splash ring. The radiator has to go back in and then the car will be ready for Bromley next weekend. Unfortunately somebody flatted through the paint on the boot lid whilst mopping it and so I am having that re-painted. Again, I hope it will be done in time for the show...

Steve.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2012, 15:09:59 »
a quick spin including 80mph in third, which was fun... but a bit smelly which worries me a bit of a burny/oily smell which may just be the "italian tune-up" in action...

...and finally I put my Nardi on. I've been having hub issues. First hub was not deep enough so no room for the stalk and the second rubbed on the steering column. After much tought I took it to my local shop who shaved a couple of mm off it. And then another 1.5mm and now it fits without rubbing. Hown works and it looks good

I have to go for a drive tomorrow too.  ;D
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

gimp

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2012, 13:19:26 »
Yesterday I changed my points to the pertronix system.
I hope they last as long as they say.

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2012, 21:11:39 »
nothing exciting really, started pottering around in the garage and one thing lead to another!, next thing the drivers seat was out and a good cleaning and lubrication session was applied to the seat runners and moving parts.. then the carpets looked a bit loose so the underlay was trimmed back and re glued and it looks good now.

Then I skinned my knuckles getting the front seat bolt back in, yes you know the one - it's been mentioned before!, i've decided not to look too hard at the passenger side (it's very rare I sit that side) until my fingers stop bleeding at least!

Roll on summer
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2012, 19:42:25 »
It is Father's Day here today in the US and what better thing to do then take our "baby" out for a ride. Very hot here in the California foothills (upper 90sF - 37c) so the HT remained on and the windows down. We had been away from home for a few weeks so this was the first drive in our SL for about 4 weeks and she started up on the 1st crank. Temp rose about a needle width above 180 on some grades but ran cool otherwise. I have had a few aches and pains lately (old age creeping up :'() but every time I get behind the wheel I am 26 again (unless I see myself in the rear view mirror). My wife of course has not changed a lick in all those years ;). What great fun it is to drive this car!
  Had to clean a few bugs off the windscreen and grill when we got home then put the car cover back on till next weekend's ride, with the HT off!!

John

PS Also got to share the day today with our daughter and an early Father's day with our son up in Seattle last week. Life is good :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 21:22:40 by 49er »
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

hank sound

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2012, 21:35:33 »
My Bundt wheel experience lasted all of one month because I missed the "classic" look.    So this weekend I purchased a set of 14" X 6" pressed aluminum wheels from Scoot, and had them mounted on Ingrid.    Also, with the hot weather having arrived, my top is now at Fernando's for new rubber seals and then a new paint job (top, not car).  

What fun !!!

Cheers & Happy Father's Day,

Hank
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:23:08 by hank sound »

Mark in KS

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2012, 22:35:51 »
Take out the heater core and go under the hood and retorque the head!  Thanks Dan Caron, for reminding me to do that!

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2012, 00:36:03 »
Took it to a car show!

As mentioned earlier, today is Father's Day in the U.S.  The Potomac Region of the Model "A" Ford Club of America puts on a wonderful judged show that at which one can find almost everything from military vehicles, American iron from almost any decade, and even imports and motorcycles.  Mike Egan, Ray Schlicht and I all brought our Pagodas to the show.  My wife also brought her MGB-GT that I gave her for her birthday 31 years ago last month.  First place in our Import class and Best of Show for the entire show was a lovely bright red Jaguar XK-140 drop-head coupe, My Havana Brown 230SL was second in class and Ray Schlicht's 250SL California Couper (sans hardtop, it was a gloriously fine day) took third.  The hit of the show, however was a stunning 1911 Stanley Steamer! 

There were two other Pagodas on the field, one silver 280SL 4sp whose lady owner I wasn't able to meet and a red very late 250SL 4sp whose owner I met as he was leaving and to whom I was able to pass on some Pagoda SL Group contact info.  I hope he joins, his amost completely original 250SL only has 40-odd K on the clock and looks and sounds great!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2012, 22:30:22 »
 Finally got the the Hard Top safely hoisted off the car today and stowed away till November. Always a bit of trepidation when the top is first pulled off the car and then hanging above it before the car is backed out from under it. Went for a short ride but after a few weeks of very warm weather today was a little too cool for my navigator. Tomorrow looks like a perfect day though and are looking forward to a ride in the country stopping for a coffee along the way. I hope many of you get to enjoy your Pagodas this weekend as well.

John
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 22:35:25 by 49er »
1969 280SL 003820

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2012, 22:18:43 »
Since today is the first of July and records show our car was built sometime in July 1968 we celebrated it's 44th "birthday" by getting a full tank of gas and taking her on a 100 mile jaunt. As usuall, the car ran like a million bucks and had three different people yell "beautiful car" along the way. Weather was perfect too for a top down drive. The "navigator" was very comfortable today ;)

John

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 23:00:54 by 49er »
1969 280SL 003820

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2012, 20:43:32 »
Last night when it "cooled off" to the mid 80s, I clay-barred the car.  This morning, I put a coat of Zymol Carbon wax on it.
She's looking mighty fine.  It's on a local website today: http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/automotive/-/2318858/15571916/-/ppcxtw/-/index.html
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2012, 21:39:06 »
Within the last week.

Fuel pump
fuel lines
7x15" wheels and hubcaps
Michelin Primacy 205/65/15 w/ Diamondback 3/4" ww applied
lube oil filter
fuel filter
alignment
was, vac and zymol

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2012, 21:31:16 »
Today I received the newly painted body and hardtop of my 1967 230SL 4-Spd Italian version back from the body restorer and carefully winched it onto my hoist in preparation for removing and rebuilding the freshly sandblasted and repainted suspension, followed by a leisurely reassembly with mostly new and restored parts.  My first action was to install a new hood badge on the fresh DB332 Dark Blue painted hood.

Does anyone else have hood badge holes offset toward the driver`s side by about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch.  Mine is.  Mine had no badge but the original holes were there and plugged with bondo under an old paint job.  Maybe the off-center holes are why the badge was removed.  It's only noticeable from close up and standing directly in front of the grill star, so I'm going to live with mine.  I did find a photo of a restoration by a reputable restorer with the same problem.

Tom Kizer

Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2012, 21:58:26 »
Wow - car looks fabulous already.
Has to be an exciting time for you.

Haven't seen the badge situation before but I am not familiar with 230s.
Could there be a badge with offset connectors for them?
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2012, 23:21:56 »
Thanks.  The off-set badge appearance may in fact be an optical illusion due to parallax.  The badge center, the grill star center, the center of the curved front edge of the hood, and the slight point on the grill upper edge should all be in the same vertical plane, but if the camera or eye is not in that same plane, something is going to look offset.  Maybe I`m imagining it all and need to get a life.  Maybe I spent too much effort, time and money making sure that the body guy got the headlight notches formed correctly.  At some time during its first seventeen years, all in Italy, they got eliminated.  My body guy even put spot welds back where they belong on the inner edge of the fender in the engine compartment.  Talk about being anal.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

peterm

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2012, 14:20:57 »
I like the off road suspension your car is demonstrating currently-  could make it one of those Dakkar rallye cars

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2012, 19:39:50 »
I just finished restoring my relays. I needed to do this project for awhile now and finally got to it. They are CAD plated and I used my reproduction dry transfer decals. I polished the brass eyelets and clear coated everything with a "dry" finish so it will last for years.

Can't wait to install them!
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2012, 21:50:41 »
Today, Occam's razor and this site once again prove they are king.  I got my heater (yes I know it is summer) working for the first time since I got the car almost 3 years ago.  All this time I thought my heater core was plugged.  Even though I could move the heater levers from open to closed (looking at the heater valve on the firewall) it turns out just the top of the lever was moving, not the valve itself.  I had purchased one of Jesse's heater cores (in the for sale section) as I figured it might come in handy once I took apart my dash to pull my heater core for repair or replacement.  Today I picked it up and I got a really good look at its set up and workings.  Decided to have another look at my valve set up and after some experimentation determined it was actually siezed.  So using the info from this site I got it unsiezed, took it all apart, lubed it up, and put it back together.  Went for a drive, got the temp up and turned on the heater.  Wow, heat blowing like never before, literally.  You should have seen the smile on my face.  I took IR readings on the inlet and outlet hoses and instead of a 30C difference between the two (as posted on another thread) they were the same temp at around 55C.  As many have said before, this site has once again proven invaluable and saved me untold hours of work that would have been otherwise wasted.  As I learn more about these cars I hope I can add my experiences such as this one and save someone else some time.
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2012, 00:41:57 »
wwheeler,
I don't want it to be left unsaid, your relays are works or art.  ;D

Jordan,
I think 3 years is the average time to enjoy the car without the heater working. I'm average too. Just fixed it over winter (winter in the northern hemisphere  ;) )
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

gerster

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2012, 20:32:38 »
Picked up my car today after a repair, new tank and resolving a gearchange problem, now it drives terrific.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2012, 00:31:10 »
Today, cleaned her up a little, checked the fluids, then took her for a 155 mile ride.  Tomorrow, about 130  miles to the Concours of Livingston, a charity fundraiser. Back to central Michigan tomorrow night, then 155 miles back home on Sunday.  More daily driving than this car has seen in decades....
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid