Author Topic: What have you done to your Pagoda today?  (Read 403915 times)

Jkalplus1

Re: What have you done to your Pagoda today?
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2012, 21:37:25 »
Installed Pertronix 1864 LA with white dot on magnet, retained original resistor and Bosch red coil.  Car works really nicely.  Retimed it (learned to use a strobe by the same occasion) exactly as it was 35 degrees at 3000rpm and 8 ATDC at idle, running on 94 AKI fuel all the time, works great but now my idle is 200RPM faster than when I still has the points in.  Mystery.  It feels about the same, perhaps a little bit more torquey under 2500 RPM, but it could be psychological.  What I like the most about it:  it was the perfect Bday gift from my brother, a bit of brotherly bonding time, and I learned how to use the strobe.  AND the car's appearance is unchanged, unless you realise there is one more wire there...unnoticeable unless you are looking for it...great!
I'lll try working the mixture a bit and give it another couple degrees, see what happens...fun times...

Wolfmann

« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2012, 09:26:55 »
Did a 760 mile roof down Weekend trip from Basingstoke to Whitburn in Sunderland returning via Huddersfield. The 230 never missed a beat but drank an awful lot of premium unleaded !

I visited Mark Turnbull a friend of mine (he of the Getrag manual 5 speed conversions). I drove his 280 engined manual 230 and I have to say it is both very quick and very beautiful.

It was great to do such a long trip and I am now perfectly confident in the car and would take it anywhere, Northern Ireland next season I think !

We fitted a gas strut to the bonnet and although this may offend the purists, I never liked the crude device MB fitted which can open up the bonnet seams. The strut uses the relay bracket at the bottom end. Mark also fitted new domed nuts to the rear of the horn ring and now this is tight rather than floppy !
Finally we changed the oil and greased some nipples.
Bit of an epic trip, plenty of fresh air, great company and a superb final shakedown for my vehicle.
Still have those hot starting problems though...

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2012, 00:07:28 »
Was welding a tray under the luggage shelf and a rag I had that was full of thinner ignited from a welding spark and got a large flame (ball of fire 1 foot cubed), tried to put it out with the wet welding cloth and the flames just got larger so I grabbed the rag and threw it as hard as I could away from my car and watched it burn while I ran to unlock and then open the garage door and throw it out even further away from my car - got it in the lane and watched it burn and the black smoke head upwards.  What an idiot I am...   Just a little carpet singe, lost the hair on my arm above my gloves to the elbow but didn't have to use the fire extinguisher I had in the front seat.  Thats for a real fire...

Feeling a bit humbled today.

The welding looks great though. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2012, 05:45:40 »
Welding, thinners - bad combination! Lucky escape I think
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver

Jkalplus1

« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2012, 13:53:25 »
Removed the incorrect stalk from my washer bottle cap, installed a grommet (black, but I think it needs to be white or clear from what I can see on pictures) for the hoses.  Fiddled a bit with timing and FI to improve idle (too high).  Went to cruise night.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2012, 18:23:25 »
...ignited from a welding spark and got a large flame (ball of fire 1 foot cubed)

Not the first time.  Read about [Dr.] Andy Wolff's experience in Pagoda Style... :)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2012, 19:05:03 »
Now that the metal under the parcel shelf is all back inplace I decided to carpet the holes and fill them up with emergency repair items.   The carpetting will keep thigs from banging away and the items will give me peace of mind.  So far I have the following items wrapped up in little metal makup cases.    Wire, cutters, zap straps, screwdriver, duct tape, crescent wrench, vice grip, hose clamps - couple sizes, rags, container to collect water, papertowel, small container of car wax, 10' chunk of electrical wire, fuses, high vis vest, gloves - nitrile and leather, oil, garbage bag, and some change and a small first aid kit.     Hopefully I never need any of that stuff but peace of mind is worth the effort. 
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2012, 00:08:02 »
I'm happy to report I changed the engine oil and filter (and associated seals). I used Brad Penn 20W-50.
I changed the fuel filter and associated seals. This was not fun because I cut the large o-ring during installation and leaked quite a bit of fuel on my floor. I more carefully re-used the old seal and now all is good. This is the 3rd time I changed the filter in 3 years, and I'm thrilled to tell you there was minimal sediment (compared to previous changes), so I'll be waiting a while before I do this not-so-fun job again.
I replaced my blue rubber fuel cap gasket (from non-Classic Center vendor) with a cork one from the Classic Center.
Continued to work on two grease zerks that don't accept grease (actually the zerk is not the problem, it is all dried up under it). I have new zerks too.
I'm getting ready for two big fall drives I have coming up.

Oh yea, Bonnyboy, sorry to hear about your fire. I'm glad no one was hurt. I probably took some extra caution today due to your experience ... but I didn't do such a good job since fuel was pouring out all over. No fire though. I was sure happy once the fuel system was all sealed up again.
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2012, 12:19:23 »
I had a very productive weekend, installing and otherwise taking care of a variety of long standing items on the never ending “to do” list.

Years ago, the former owner of thelews car, one Vince Canepa, remarked to me that he hated car shows and Concours d’Elegance, and other Pagoda owners looking at his car.  You see, he could not stand people nit-picking little details, and perhaps took it all too personally.  So personally, I guess, that he sold the car!  Anyway—I’m the opposite.  I listen and learn from experts, car show judges, etc. and when I can make the changes, I do…it just takes time!  Here are just the latest revisions, all from critical commentary from my friends...

1)   Added the missing bracket that holds the air-line to the intake manifold (along with the auto transmission dip stick tube).  This missing bracket—two pieces—was pointed out to me in 2011.  Sourcing it was another problem entirely.  Joe Alexander had two of them, the week before, but they had gone out to members here who needed the air line it was attached to.  We scoured Joe’s bone yard, and alas—nothing.  I could have stolen the set from Alfred Esser’s car,  :o whose engine bay parts at Joe’s had just come back from the plater, but I stayed honest—besides, it would have been way too obvious. Early this year, Gernold Nisius of SL Tech came through with the parts, freshly plated.

2)   Added my new replacement VIN plate to the doorjamb.  This has been missing forever, and it took several false starts and incorrect manufactures over more than a year before I finally got it right. It is a nearly perfect reproduction of what was once original to the car.  Unlike many that are screwed on after a restoration, I used the more original rivets. Thanks “you know who” for your help with the data plate.

3)   Installed the bracket that holds the top of the radiator fan shroud to the radiator itself.  This piece is often missing on cars that have been apart, and is NLA. I tried getting one last year to no luck, but when I least expected it, once again, Gernold came through.

4)   Replaced the window winders.  At PUB 2009, Dave Gallon pointed out to me that my window winders were not quite correct for my car.  Of course, the proper ones are NLA, and hard to find unless you like pitted chrome. The problem is I had bought replacements back in 2002 from MB, and they had changed the plastic knob.  I believe I only had one original, and it was pitted as was most of the original chrome on the car when I got it. Earlier this year, Scott Allen (scoot) came through with a nice set of reasonably original ones, a bit more appropriate for the car. They fit over nylon washers that Joe Alexander’s friend Paul Hackman told me I was missing, and of course supplied. Now, the knobs on the winders match more closely the rest of the knobs in the car, like the ones on the radio, the cigar lighter, etc.

5)   Installed the wholly non-original but perfectly functional cup holders.  If you followed the thread on this site, you’ll see some other posts.  I ordered two, and they could not have been easier to install.  Looks like they were custom made for the tray in a Pagoda.  Now at least, I can have a bottle of water or something without fear of it falling out of reach. I elected to screw right through the carpet, and tested the obvious: you can remove the cup holders and not see any holes. I used the same mounting holes for the box.

6)   Pulled the distributor cap, added some lubrication.  Thanks Naj, for the gentle reminder.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2012, 18:45:32 »
Congratulations for having so much fun. Now you need to find and replace those Norma hose clamps with the original Gemi clamps like these:

Keep going.

Regards,

208SE Guy

1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2012, 19:41:38 »
Now you need to find and replace those Norma hose clamps with the original Gemi clamps like these:

Talk is cheap, and easier said then done.  Tell me where...
One mechanic replaced all of the "Fat-A** American clamps" he found shortly after the restoration...these are what they stocked.

PS.  Chinese copies would not be welcome in my car. Those I've found.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2012, 20:03:35 »
 Very nice Michael,
 Glad to see you found that shroud bracket you had been hunting for. I am afraid I also opted for "garden variety" hose clamps when Ernie brought my car back to life a couple of years ago. He has nagged me be a bit since, so I might switch back to the original "style" some day. Then again, the car drives fine and I have zero leaks. Might be a project for my son/daughter in the very (I hope) distant future :)

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2012, 23:22:46 »
Michael wrote ... "... the radiator fan shroud ..."

I'm going to have to check and see whether I even have a fan shroud ?

Thanks Michael, your car is getting better and better ...
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2012, 08:03:53 »
Today, I have accompanied my Pagoda to a maintenance workshop for check and annual review. While this is not the end of driving season, a leak from "down-ther" convinced me that this should not wait. I will take this opportunity to install 3-point seat belts and European style headlights. While I though that it would be - as somebody here said - plug and play experience, it is not the case. After removing the US headlights, I discovered that there was some strange-looking connections made between various cables, so I leave it up to professionals.

Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:38 »
Well I finally got my overhauled pump back from Gus @ Pacific Fuel Injection. What a maestro that man is with mechanical injection pumps !!!
Anyways, have started putting the pump back in together with the replaced injector lines, brackets, etc
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2012, 10:25:14 »
I discovered that there was some strange-looking connections made between various cables, so I leave it up to professionals.       

Stan, this might suggest that the US headlights were updated to the latest version, with connections needed for side markers? Or, something similar with the driving light connection/fog light connections...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2012, 14:12:50 »
Michael,

You are absolutely right as if you were here :)
My Pagoda is among the 80 last ones produced in February/March 1971 (VIN 113044 12 023798). It also has the optional Hella fog lamps that are switched on together with high beam lights. So it is a full mounty car.
Stan
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

hauser

« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2012, 01:59:17 »
Shifter bushings, dust boot and covers, shifter boot and finally turned the shift lever in the right direction.  Very smooth shifting now.

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2012, 02:54:59 »
Went to the painters to see how the work was getting on....i hope they dont finish it too soon because i have lots to do in the garage before the shell turns back up...i need the space to sort all the million other parts out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:02:05 by Dave H »
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2012, 17:09:03 »
2)   Added my new replacement VIN plate to the doorjamb.  This has been missing forever, and it took several false starts and incorrect manufactures over more than a year before I finally got it right. It is a nearly perfect reproduction of what was once original to the car.  Unlike many that are screwed on after a restoration, I used the more original rivets. Thanks “you know who” for your help with the data plate.

Mike, I have a 1970 280SL and would like to replace the 2 VIN plates and emission plate. Can you (or any one else with this knowledge) give me some direction please?

Jack
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:08:07 by Peter van Es »
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2012, 15:00:59 »
I went to the restoration shop today to get some fresh news about my 1971 280SL that is undergoing "body lifting".
First, they removed the carpet and showed me some nasty rust eating the floor panels. In fact, they touched the acceleration pedal and it freely went off the floor… just as that…  It seems that one of these days, while driving, I could be left in the middle of the road without accelerator… that would be funny.

Anyhow, here just two of the pictures that I have taken and will keep taking during the renovation
enjoy….  
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Alex 3

« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2012, 22:43:04 »
I don't yet have a Pagoda but that is not from a lack of effort. However, today, a 1966 230 SL is going to a recommended shop in the Bay area for inspection. Hopefully the search is at an end.

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2012, 19:24:53 »
Replaced the worn out rubber gasket in my fuel filler cap with a new cork one. Easy & cheap - I wish everything was!
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

KevinC

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2012, 23:27:24 »
Drove it!

I know...one likes a smart a$$. Just had to say it! It was a beautiful Autumn day here in New England and closing in on the last drives of the season. As soon as the snow flies, then the salt goes down and no driving until Spring.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 23:35:26 by KevinC »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2012, 08:33:04 »
A correct new carpet set complete arrived today from KHM Germany and some new Headlight Glass as well for the 230SL, woohoo  Hopefully a couple of more months and it will be back on the road for some of summer, if I can resolve the engine rebuild issues I am having with parts.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric