Author Topic: Exterior mirror glass replacement ?  (Read 3154 times)

hank sound

Exterior mirror glass replacement ?
« on: November 29, 2011, 01:37:48 »
Hi folks,

I checked the Technical Manual to find out how to replace the glass in my exterior mirror housing.   Couldn't find anything so can someone advise me ?  I'm guessing one would push the glass inward, twist and then remove, but I don't want to cause damage so I'll wait for a helping hand.    Could be a good tip worthy of the "Manual"......

Thanks much, Hank

Post update - - forget about it :)    I just found a complete mirror with perfect glass and a housing that is much nicer than what I have.    I looked for a "delete this post" button, to no avail.

Thanks, Hank
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:24:50 by hank sound »

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
Re: Exterior mirror glass replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 18:11:03 »
As I recall: push the glas inward. This enables you to pick out the plastic bead around the perimeter. With the bead (retainer) out the glass follows.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

Rolland

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 19:26:06 »
What Gus notes is correct.  I'll also add behind the mirror is a spring, so be ready for this to fall out if you don't have your hands ready to catch it. 

Rolland

Via Manci

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 19:41:02 »
Any ideas where to find a replacement for the plastic bead or the glass mirror it self?

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 19:52:38 »
Buds and K&K both carry them as well as many others I am sure.  Check suppliers list.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Rolland

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 20:03:09 »
The Classic Center has them as well.  If you have a mirror on the right side, they also have the convex mirror if you wish.

Rolland