Author Topic: Right Hand Drive Conversion  (Read 4931 times)

n/a

Right Hand Drive Conversion
« on: May 28, 2004, 14:52:37 »
Do any of you UK Pagoda owners have experience of converting an import to RHD?  Is it possible. and does it cost megabucks?  Do you know anybody who might be able to do it in the South East?

Thanks

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Right Hand Drive Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 15:33:39 »
Hi, John,
Welcome to the site.
At the current stg/dollar rate, its very tempting, I'm sure.
I'm sure the conversion can be done but IMHO, its more trouble than its worth. For a start you would need a dash panel which is part of the body structure and welded in. Then you need a RHD steering box and its fitting needs cutting off and welding bits on the chassis flitch. All RHD pedal gear etc. Need I go on?
At the end of it, again IMHO, you wouldn't up with a very saleable car :evil:
Wind out of your sails???
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 15:35:36 by naj »
68 280SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 22:33:42 »
http://index.php?topic=541

http://index.php?topic=1073

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 04:08:52 »
thanks for the advice - definitely wind out of sails!  I thought I might at last be able to afford one of these cars when I saw that the US prices seem to be about half the UK ones.

Another question if you don't mind me thinking aloud... is there such a thing as an average condition UK RHD car which I could run daily and won't be breaking down every 100 miles?  On the Top Gear report they said a 'bad one' costs £10,000 - but how bad do you think that would be?  A waste of time?

What would you do on a budget of £15,000?... would you buy a good condition US car and just drive around LHD for the rest of your days, or would you buy a dodgy UK car and hope for the best, or would you stick with the Mondeo in the drive?

and finally...if I spent £15,000 on a US LHD car, would it fetch that amount in the UK?

...perhaps the Gods of cool did not intend for me to join the ranks of you SL superdudes.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 09:58:36 »
quote:

...is there such a thing as an average condition UK RHD car which I could run daily and won't be breaking down every 100 miles?  On the Top Gear report they said a 'bad one' costs £10,000 - but how bad do you think that would be?  A waste of time?

...perhaps the Gods of cool did not intend for me to join the ranks of you SL superdudes.

John,
To determin if any particular 40 year old car is likely to break down every 100 miles takes a skilled & experience person to decide.  Even then, nobody can forsee the future and this skilled & experience person is only making an educated guess.  Of all the 40 year old cars out there, the Mercedes vehicles of this era are very reliable once they are sorted out right.  The question is, will the sorting out cost $2,000 or $12,000?  This is what these skilled & experienced people should be able to tell you.  If you really want a Pagoda then read all of the Technical Articles on this site (linked from the home page).  Then use the forum's search engien and learn more about your particular points of interest.  After all this reading and learning, which will brobably take the better part of two weekends, then start shoping for your Pagoda.  Test drive at least 10 of them in June & July and use the knowledge shared on this site to examine them yourself.  Once you've read all this info and experience all those cars, then you should know a good one when you drive it.  Once you find a good one, then take it to 2 or 3 shops that can do quality mechanical inspections of these particular cars.  It's worth spending a couple hundred dollars for 2 or 3 inspections if it saves you from buying a bad car that would cost you thousands to get right.  You might want have a couple members of the Group look at the perspective cars too!

Best of luck in your SL shopping.  Take your time and learn a lot.  There will always be Pagodas for sale and the more time you take the more you will lean about them.  Knowledge is power.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 11:02:56 »
John,
It may be worth your while joining the MB UK club. You get a magazine every month. There are always some for sale in there that are better looked after than average. You could most likely get a good 230sl for your budget or buy a US car and live with LHD.I often get quite tempted to do that. And it would be easy for continental touring  ;)
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Ben

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 02:47:07 »
John, I garee with Naj about joining the club and if its any consolation my 230SL stands me a lot less than your budget (including its engine rebuild), its used every day here in Ireland and hasnt let me down in the last 28,000 miles  !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 13:44:23 »
John,
There is a 230sl in the July issue of Classic and Sports cars mag. around Guildford if you want to start looking.
Whereabouts in London are you?
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL