Author Topic: 230 sl door windows  (Read 3179 times)

Peter Serbanica

230 sl door windows
« on: October 31, 2011, 20:47:58 »
Hello, I am in the process of rebonding the guide jaws on both door windows.  I need the measurement distance from the bottom of the glass to bottom edge of the guide.  Thank you in advance.  The passenger window was "repaired" using a felt channel which is unsatisfactory on the convertible because there is no support for glass in the closed position.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: 230 sl door windows
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 13:42:28 »
Hi, Peter,

In my experience, its best to glue the rear guide level with the glass.

The front ones are shaped to fit the glass corner, if I remember correctly...

Naj
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 20:40:23 by Naj »
68 280SL

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 17:48:40 »
I just went through that "gluing" exercise myself.  I had the same question you did..... "what is the exact position of the guide?".  To find this position, I rolled the window up and then put the guide around the window in the spot where it would not limit the upward movement of the window.  As I recall, the bottom of the guide ended up being about  1/4" from the bottom of the glass.

I'm interested in what you use for the "glue".  I ended up using a Permatex RTV material.  I took out the felt, cleaned the glass and inside of the guide and filled the groove with RTV.  Then, I shoved the guide onto the glass, wiped off the excess RTV and let it set up.  The next day I could not budge the guide, so I installed the window.  It has been good for 2 months now.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

Peter Serbanica

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 21:08:05 »
I glued them flush with the bottom of the glass as per picture on forum.  I also installed a new top.