Author Topic: Internet Explorer 8.0  (Read 10153 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Internet Explorer 8.0
« on: October 30, 2011, 21:44:49 »
Michael Salemi alerted me to the fact that our web-site behaves oddly when using Internet Explorer version 8, when making posts. When the post is longer than the editor box, the editor keeps scrolling up, making it difficult to add text to the end of the message.

This is an annoying feature peculiar only to Internet Explorer, and not encountered by those using Chrome, FireFox or Safari. Michael reports it could be tackled by switching on the Compatibility mode (Tools / Compatibility View).

I have today made a number of changes to the layout of our site, so that it should be more compatible in all browsers and should not require Compatibility mode. If you do encounter any problems, please let me know.

Peter

(posted with IE8, regular mode)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 23:05:33 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: Internet Explorer 8.0
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 22:08:42 »
I've noticed that for quite some time now, but, didn't want to say anything.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 17:34:11 »
Just so we are clear here--

IE, like it or not, has 55.77% penetration of the browser market.  Therefore ALL THE OTHERS--Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc. COMBINED, are a minority.  I'm of the school of thought that you design for the majority...but that's just my opinion.  In any case the issue was not with IE 7.

http://www.statowl.com/web_browser_market_share.php

Every browser, for the most part, performs the same function--they are simply a window to something else--the web page.  They all behave a bit different though, and programmers do nobody any good by complicating web page design so things don't work right unless you have all these complex browser plug ins and add ons.  There are a couple of simple add-ons I have for IE that simply didn't work with other browsers, and that's why I stuck with the majority.  The others didn't look right on my computer, but that's just me as well.

and this is a test
and this is a test

And Peter fixed the problem.  Running in IE8 standard mode...Thanks Peter! 
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 19:35:13 »
[Browsers] all behave a bit different though, and programmers do nobody any good by complicating web page design so things don't work right unless you have all these complex browser plug ins and add ons.  

Speaking as a programmer, I'd just like to say that it's not the programmers who are at fault here, but Microsoft.  Countless features -- even basic ones -- typically work on Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, etc., but not on IE Explorer without some special tweak.  Microsoft apparently finds it in their interest not to follow standards, even on basic features. 

Sorry for the rant -- just wanted to get it off my chest.

Chris Earnest

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 21:07:42 »
+1

Microsoft is the only browser vendor who doesn't care about standards. They implement new features years after everyone else.

Speaking as a programmer, I'd just like to say that it's not the programmers who are at fault here, but Microsoft.  Countless features -- even basic ones -- typically work on Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, etc., but not on IE Explorer without some special tweak.  Microsoft apparently finds it in their interest not to follow standards, even on basic features. 

Sorry for the rant -- just wanted to get it off my chest.

Chris Earnest

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 21:28:05 »
Needless to say I didn't spot it until Mike alerted me to it as I haven't touched IE for years now...

Interestingly, I'm copying some content here from Google Analytics for our site... it clearly demonstrates that on www.sl113.org IE is less than 50% of the share (even though 70% of our users still use Windows). It has been dropping and continues to drop amongst our users: over 17% of our users use OS X, and 9% use IOS5 (iPhone, iPad).

So, if anyone spots something weird, do mail me. I'll look into it.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 22:05:04 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 23:59:55 »
Hi Peter, 

I suppose you also realize that you have hereby revealed your private email address up in that header bar?   

Regards, Larry in CA

P.S. I am planning a small Pagoda gathering for next August. Are there any sl113.org guidelines for these things?  Alfred is also helping me with this.

Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 21:56:21 »
Thanks for the warning.

Oh, and deal with Alfred... he knows what the policy for events and events support is!

Peter

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:09:47 »
it clearly demonstrates that on www.sl113.org IE is less than 50% of the share (even though 70% of our users still use Windows).

Yes, IE is is less than 50%.  BUT, didn't you notice that at this "less than 50%", it still has TWICE as many users on our site, as the next in line, Safari?  All the rest, then, make up the difference.

My point is, all the programmer/computer guy venom against Microsoft aside, that they still have a majority share, and things should be designed to work for that.  If you design a webpage for optimized viewing and behavior on Chrome, for example, you are catering to 10% of the population.  I tried Firefox and Chrome on the PC here and they did not behave properly, and my favorite websites, such as this, didn't display as nice and were more difficult to read.

...and while Apple is the good guy and Microsoft is the bad guy, there are two sides to every story.  I installed Quicktime once, and during the installation process it took control of every thing it could, destroying long-standing relationships on my computer between certain files and certain programs--and the result was a mediocre movie player.  I installed iTunes once as well, and the same thing happened, taking control of every music file it could find, and corrupting long-standing relationships set up with other audio programs on my computer, and also with my accounting files which by conincidence share a common file name extension with certain Apple files.  These were highly invasive installs.  Other programs from other vendors do the same kind of thing, too, of course--but to just cast aspersions on Microsoft in favor of Apple doesn't cover each case and every story.

When I display a web page, and the "real content" of the webpage is 20%, and 80% is dynamic junk/ads/popups/whatever that bogs down the computer's video card with complex screen redraws that change every time you drill around a site, I'd suggest the programmers are at least partially responsible for that.  Site owners and managers are also responsible, for demanding that of programmers.

In our site here, it really, truly is one of the nicest, best behaving websites that I ever visit.  For sure, there are some things that could be better, but it is clean, and well designed. This one little issue I had (others had noticed) was so small that most didn't bother to mention it.  I found a work-around and left it at that.  Peter fixed it anyway.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 19:24:01 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid