Author Topic: Passenger side underdash?  (Read 6454 times)

blairwag

Passenger side underdash?
« on: May 26, 2004, 23:35:34 »
Well, after tearing out the whole dealer installed Frigiking A/C system from 1971 280 SL, I now have a huge gaping access hole into the underside of the dash from the passenger side footwell. I have to assume this is not normal... is it?  Do cars that were not A/C equipped have a sheet metal or plastic panel that screws up underneath?  It's not a big deal, but I assume a lot of engine and accessory noise will come in from there. I can see the passenger side windshield wiper transmission for example.

The good news is that I found the mounting bracket for the external amplifier to the Becker Europa radio. I mounted it. Nice to not have that thing flopping around.

So, is there such a panel?  Should I look for one out there, somewhere?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Passenger side underdash?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 06:09:03 »
Yes, William,
There are two panels (or should it be three?), one on each side of the steering column.
They're sort of hard card board in dark grey/black with a layer of foam
Will try and find a picture.
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

blairwag

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 06:34:11 »
Hey Naj,
We're talking passenger side, right?  But, can you give me pics of both passenger and drivers side, as I do not seem to have any hard carboards panes protecting the driverside underdash, either.

--
1971 280SL US Automatic

tuultyme

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 12:29:23 »
A three piece reproduction set is available though most of the parts distributors listed though this site.  Only the left piece is used when A/C is installed.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

n/a

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 12:38:51 »
william, I can't upload anything, so I am emailing you the few pictures I have on file. feel free to upload them for me...just seems I can't upload anything from my computer at work due to security locks or I don't know what.

Fabrice
Silver 1971 280 SL
New York City

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 16:15:21 »
Under dash covers from my 230 SL:

Download Attachment: udash005.JPG
41.14 KB

Download Attachment: udash006.JPG
40.04 KB

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 16:16:24 by naj »
68 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 16:38:06 »
What you don't want is an access hole that goes through the firewall to let in engine etc noise. I had a few smaller holes that were open in the firewall and when I plugged these up properly, it sure cut down on the amount of engine noise coming into the cabin. The under-dash panels (there are three) should be available new from the regular parts suppliers.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Ben

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 04:18:56 »
My 230SL has all those under dash parts missing !

The car is VERY noisey inside as a result !

These parts dont seem to be available for RHD models so I'll have to make them up myself !  Those pictures are really helpful Naj !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

George Des

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 06:27:55 »
I'm going the opposite direction William's going i.e. installing an a/c where there was none. What happens to the footwell light in the passenger seat footwell in this case ? I'd like to keep that light but obviously it has to mount differently since the underdash panel and area is now taken up by the a/c underdash evaporator.

All you guys and gals with factory a/c--do you have appasenger footwell light there? Will post some pictures when I can figure out how to upload. As i noted in some earlier posts, my attempts at trying to use the original beast of a compressor bracket set me up with all sorts of pulley and belt problems that were just too hard to overcome--I'm dealing with a '67 230SL that did not have the correct pulley arrangements to start off with.

Ended up fabricating a Bud's Benz style bracket out of 1/4" steel--believe it or not I was able to cut this with prudent use of a drill press, grinder and sabre saw with HSS blade, some bolt spacers and an idler pulley w/eccentric.

Although I still have a very minor high side hose leak, the system works well and provides good cold air using R-134a through the orginal underdash Kuhlmeister evaporator.

George Des

blairwag

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 21:02:37 »
Hi everyone.
Naj, those pics are super.
Any change of anyone posting pictures of the underdash panels in place?
Cees, I agree about plugging up the holes. When I removed the A/C, I ended up with 2 large holes in the firewall where the A/C cooling hoses came and went. I got a could of rubber stoppers (like corks) and plugged up the holes. They work great!  I'm sure to still have a lot of engine and car noise until I get some kind of underdash panels with some sound insulation, however.   I'll start contacting parts suppliers. Looks like I don't have the one on the driver side, or center position, either

--
1971 280SL US Automatic

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 23:10:10 »
I believe that the cardboard underdash panels will not do much for sound insulation. I learned a long time ago that air cracks or holes let through most noise - hermetic seal will eliminate as much noise as possible. Try this for proof: in your modern car, driving on the highway, just open one window a crack: the difference with having all windows closed will be significant.

Now the underdash panels will not fit airtight but, what's more, there's very large holes in them for the ventilation in the footwells! I think they're more for cosmetics than anything else.
What I did to look for holes in the firewall: at night in garage, lights out, put one light in engine compartment, closed hood, went inside car and looked all around under the dash. Any cracks or small holes (one hole was from where a panel screw had been many moons ago) showed up. I closed them all and it made a big difference.

Second big difference was installing my rebuilt engine - the old one had noticeably more mechanical (valve train I imagine) clatter.
Less noise, be it mechanical or wind noise, makes for more comfortable driving. On the tops, there can be a lot of air cracks etc as well.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 23:10:56 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Ben

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 03:05:50 »
Hey Cees that was a good tip about using the light to find holes !

I gonna do that this weekend !!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 05:02:55 »
When I bought my car, 2 of the under dash panels were in the boot.
Before I re-installed them I went to a 'Reverse Garbage' type store and I bought and fit 25mm thick black sound/heat insulation foam sheeting. It was dirt cheap becuase it was factory cast offs.
The engine bay noise was reduced dramatically.
Then I covered the area under the seats and under the rear shelf with the same insulation.
This too made a huge difference.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 12:28:30 »
I'm pretty sure the factory installed sound-deadening material underneath the seats. Mine has (aftermarket) ones. If your car does not have them, which is not very unlikely, there's another -low cost-improvement opportunity.

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II