Author Topic: viewing pictures  (Read 7241 times)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
viewing pictures
« on: October 07, 2011, 07:25:10 »
Can someone tell me why some pictures open within the post while other pictures appear in a new pop-up window

try the pictures of Alfred in this post http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=15296.0;prev_next=prev#new

Also when a window pops up it is a fixed size and I have to scroll to see the full picture.
The new window does not allow itself to be resized.
Anyone know why?

thanks
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

jacovdw

Re: viewing pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:30:56 »
Noticed this also.

I suspect that it has something to do with the size/resolution of the picture.
Above a certain size it opens in a new tab/window (depending on browser configuration) else it opens in the relevant post.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:22:06 »
Correct. If any dimension was over 1024 pixels, it would open in a new window. I've now changed it so that it always opens in-line -- which I prefer.

I hope you all have large browsers and large windows open!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 00:07:10 »
A number of other forums that I frequent have a little viewer windows that open when you click on an attached photo.  The viewer has Previous and Next buttons so you can move through all the attached pictures, and it sizes them to fit your display size.  I find it very convenient for viewing picture.  I personally don't care for how they enlarge in this site.  It's fine if they fit on my screen, but as pictures become higher and higher resolution, I find myself having to scroll the screen around to see the picture.  Sometimes it's like viewing it through a straw.  Aggravating this is the fact that the horizontal scroll bar is at the bottom of the picture, so you have to scroll all the way down to get to the scroll bar, scroll over, then scroll back up to see the upper part of the picture, hopefully finding yourself in the desired location.  It's a real pain.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:50:00 »
I'm not an expert on how forum software works, but in principle all of this can be controlled by the system administrators. Of course, you can't please everyone all the time. One suggestion that might be helpful is to expand the picture, then right-click and download it. (Mac computers have a separate button for this, don't they?) Once you've got it on your hard drive, you can use any viewing software you like and be free of the settings the administrators chose. Also, if bandwidth is still an issue, then you only have to download the full-size file once. The resolution and quality of images these days is quite impressive.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel