Author Topic: Headrest Grommet  (Read 5857 times)

Bill Sgro

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Bradenton
Headrest Grommet
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:27:58 »
I am replacing the dark brown tex covers on the headrests of my 1970 280SL and the replacement skins came without the holes or grommets for the adjustment access hole on the sides of the headrests.  The grommet is made of two pieces of plastic that snap together.  Is there an easy way to separate the two pieces from each other for reuse or are they still availiable?  I cannot find them in my parts book.
1970 280SL
1970 300SEL 3.5

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Headrest Grommet
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 14:47:03 »
I am replacing the dark brown tex covers on the headrests of my 1970 280SL and the replacement skins came without the holes or grommets for the adjustment access hole on the sides of the headrests.  The grommet is made of two pieces of plastic that snap together.  Is there an easy way to separate the two pieces from each other for reuse or are they still availiable?  I cannot find them in my parts book.
I assume that they are available - they are used in LOTS of cars for lots of years.  If they are not available, they are an easy junkyard item to get.   Contact the classic center.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Bill Sgro

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Bradenton
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 00:41:01 »
I spoke with a very nice and knowledgable fellow named John at the Classic Center and he said he has been in the MB parts game since 1975 and this was the first time anyone had asked for that part (he knew just what I was talking about).  It is no longer available.

I was very careful and pried the two halves apart and could reuse them.

Now, any tips for getting the new skins on?  Are the horsehair foundations still available or are they now synthetic?  About what should I expect to pay for new foundations?  Any good experiences with suppliers?
1970 280SL
1970 300SEL 3.5

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:39:19 »
.... Are the horsehair foundations still available or are they now synthetic?  About what should I expect to pay for new foundations?  Any good experiences with suppliers?
GAHH sells them: http://www.gahh.com/product_info.php?cPath=51_3437_222_1911&products_id=463
but you might get them cheaper perhaps through an authorized reseller (K&K, Dave Gallon, and others).

World Upholstery sells a different style for about half the price: http://worlduph.com/mercedes_benz/w113/#Seat

I have not bought either one so cannot tell you how good they fit.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:00:01 »
I used the foam ones from sls.de. They are a struggle to get the cover
over but they do fit. I would not bother with the grommets as I think
the leather could tear under the tension of the insert. You can adjust
the headrest by inserting a wrench from the underside i think.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Kopie

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:21:37 »
I placed the headrest in a light plastic bag and then taped the bag to the hose of a shop vac.  it takes the headrest down to about half original size.  Once you turn off the vacuum it comes right back into shape.  I did add some 1" foam to the original pad in order to fill out the new cover.  If memory serves me, I also removed the metal works from the pad first.  I don't know how you would get the cover over the foam without ripping it first if you don't do this.

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:52 »
How did you think of that!  :o
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190