Author Topic: Best Cradle for "winching" our hardtops  (Read 5261 times)

hank sound

Best Cradle for "winching" our hardtops
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:18:54 »
 ??? I have an electric winch in my garage.   But I don't like the fact that the supplied cradle that supports the weight of the top, actually goes through the inside of the top.   This causes all the weight to be exerted on the top's internal weatherstripping.   I've since seen cradles from other suppliers, that are positioned above the top, with drop down appendages that hold on to the "rain gutter" (edges of the top's chrome trim work).

Any thoughts, folks??

Cheers, Hank

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:27:42 by hank sound »

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
Re: Best Cradle for "winching" our hardtops
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:38:47 »
Hi Hank and everyone,
after reading through a few threads and what's in the technical manual, I decided against a winch or hanging cradle. Although it might be helpful for actually moving the top on/off, I don't want all that weight pulling down on the ceiling of my garage, especially not over my precious Pagoda. As for moving on/off, I think it's reasonable to do that when a buddy or 3 are available to help out with muscles instead of pulleys. I also considered the floor cradle design that is available, figuring I might make one of those rather easily. But I didn't want to take up floor space on the garage and, notwithstanding that a cover would help, I didn't want the inner liner exposed to falling dust.

So instead I decided to build a shelf to hold the hardtop, with a sling for the front. This shelf has posts that support the load by compression, passing the weight down to the ground instead of relying on something attached to a rafter. The shelf is new in my garage so doesn't occupy space that was formerly used for anything else, with the same stuff stored underneath that was originally on the floor anyway. Once the shelf was built and the sling screwed into the ceiling, the car arrived, the buddies helped me lift the top up on to the shelf and voila it was out of the way and safe. Dan C calls it "simple and effective" -- high praise from the Doctor.

I discovered something I hadn't read up to then: all (or nearly all) the weight is on those two pins that go into the holes behind the doors. (The pins that have the latches on them.) The hardtop is so nicely balanced that I hardly needed the sling at all! There is almost no weight on the front. I left the sling installed, since the work was already done, but really it didn't need to be so strong. So it's just an added comfort to know that the top cannot lean or tilt forward.

In fact, I barely needed the depth of the shelf. It's built 60cm from the back wall to the front of the shelf, and that is pretty much exactly the distance from the back of the hardtop (say, from the middle latch forward) to those mounting pins. So the weight of the hardtop is mostly on the very front of the shelf. Not really ideal, but it doesn't worry me. If I can make a suggestion, it'd be to build a frame or post-and-lintel that is maybe 10cm wide and position it at least 60cm from the wall. The hardtop could then be supported on a simple beam under the mounting pins. The pins are 135cm apart, so your beam has to be at least that long if you take my suggestion. I guess you could even support the entire hardtop on just two posts -- 135cm apart and 60 cm from the wall -- if you keep the posts from wobbling. Of course you would probably also want some minor support both at the front mounting pins (the ones that attach to the top of the windshield) and the back, just for confidence.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:45:53 by pj »
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 05:54:16 »
Hank,

If you are going to use the rain gutter attached hard top lifters, make sure you have a redundancy inbuilt as has been suggested in several threads on the forum just in case they release accidentally.  Don't ask why I know all about this, its in the forum somewhere and a costly error but you do get to get an extra vent hole in one door at the top ;D

PJ it gets really difficult to do it on your own or with the Financial Director as the years go by!!  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:10:54 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:52:04 »
Hi Garry and everyone,
> PJ it gets really difficult to do it on your own or with the Financial Director as the years go by!!
I can't deny that :-) We had four persons (incl the "Financial Director") when the hardtop came off the first time. I hope I will always have at least 3 friends in this lifetime and, if not, then I shall do like Blanche Dubois and depend upon the kindness of strangers.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:29 »
I've got a hoist made by EZ top which is made for the 113 and doesn't touch any of the weatherstripping.    I ended up buying a used one on Ebay for about half of what they can cost new.  Go to EZtop.com and look at the manual.   It shows what was made.   Fantastic and high quality.
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Witt

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 17:52:27 »
..........feel free to take a look at my set-up in a previous post. You will notice that the pick up brackets do not compress the weather stripping and the top is nicely balanced while on the hoist........

CHEERS !
WITT !