Author Topic: Any resources to quickly visually identify original parts?  (Read 7179 times)

vince

New to the forums, saving up for my dream car.

For someone who isn't car-savvy, is there a visual reference for an interested buyer to quickly identify a non-standard looking part on a 230, 250, and 280? I've sifted through the Essential Buyer's Guide by Chris Bass which has plenty of info, but I'd like to know if there is an organized comparison of the three models. So even though I don't have mechanical know-how, I can at least quickly see if, say, the side mirror is aftermarket, or it's missing some trim pieces.

I picked up Chris Bass' Buyers Guide (despite it's single, low review) and the Haynes manual, but would like to tap the knowledge of this great community for help too!

Thanks a bunch, hopefully I will be spending a lot more time here as a owner someday!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:57:01 by 280SL71 »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Any resources to quickly visually identify original parts?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 07:58:05 »
Hi Vince,

A good start is to read and re read the how buy a Pagoda in the technical manual

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Buying/Start

good luck

Garry

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:00:25 »
Vince:

Your inquiry is actually quite complicated...identifying what is "original or "correct" for one of these cars is not so easy at times.

As just one example, I stated a thread asking about a Brake Booster vacuum tube which can be black mesh covered or clear plastic. Took several replies to settle which style is correct for a 1969 car.. and there are transition cars where the answer is not certain.

"Correct" for various Pagodas is complicated by production changes that were made during the years of production. Some  changes like Old Style side mirror to New Style mirror are known from vintage MB documents as to a specific VIN number but even here Mercedes was known to install the "old" part after the change date to use up the parts inventory. So it is possible that some later VIN number cars had the out dated part installed at the factory.

Production change tables are included in the books: Original Mercedes SL by Laurence Meredith, and the "Bible" for these cars: Mercedes Benz 190 SL - 280 SL by Gunter Engelen (available in German only).

That said, compared to let's say, Vintage Mustang owners, Pagoda people are not nearly as fanatical about having the perfectly correct part. The Mustang guys get down to the code numbers on top of each bolt.

Some Pagoda parts are NLA (No Longer available) and must be sourced from donor vehicle, parts dealer, or replaced with a reproduction if available. The repros are generally of good quality and nearly impossible to tell from the original.

Using the Mercedes Classic Center as a source does not always solve the quest for originality as some currently available MB parts are later design replacement parts that do not look like the original.

Further complications arise from modern safety rules where tubing, electric wires,  and similar have required printed specs and warnings stamped along the item . These stampings are not on the original parts and are a dead give away that a part has been replaced. Judges are not supposed to deduct for added or changed safety items so stamped tubes or wires are not usually an issue for losing points at a Concours judging but some obsessive Pagoda owners try to remove the printing along the tubing or search long and hard to find unprinted items.

A well known indicator of original fenders is a small mark on each fender next to a "pointer" in the chrome ring of the  headlight. The fender mark can be added to a repro fender and is no longer a reliable guide to fender originality.

The major components of the car including the engine, transmission, and the rearend Pumpkin have stamped numbers that coincide with the numbers on the Datacard for the car. In that way, the originality of these parts can be determined if that's important to the owner.  No one checks these numbers so only the owner and the mechanic will know about changes.

Some parts of the car body (hood, soft top compartment cover) have numbers stamped into them which match part of a number on the Fender Tag of the car. These parts were made large, then cut to fit a specific car, removed then rematched to that same car later in production.

Variations in cars also resulted from local government regulation. So a car sold in Italy, for example, would have a small round orange light or reflector on each front fender. These are found on no other cars. USA government regulation is the reason we have USA version and Euro version cars with all the differences between them as discussed on other threads here.

Some items ordered for the car and shown on the Datacard were actually installed by the local dealer not the factory. These might include the radio, antenna, air conditioner, floor mats, and more. Local dealers were not always perfect in following MB guidelines when installing these items so variations in parts and placement can be expected.

Not sure this is what you were asking about but someone may find it useful.

Don't forget to enjoy the car...originality is just a small part of Pagoda pride and satisfaction.

Richard M, NYC

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 13:08:20 »
From your signature line, Los Angeles, you could also make contact with Tom Collitt, through this site. He is very knowledgeable about the cars and is in LA.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

vince

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 17:56:45 »
Wow, glad to see this community is so active, you guys must really love your cars!

And thanks for the great responses. I'll definitely start with the buying guide in the technical manual.

@280SL71: Thanks for the in depth response, you've given me a lot of search terms to look up in my pursuit of 113 knowledge! I'm not expecting all original parts with my budget so I'm mainly concerned about *looking* authentic. I just don't want this to happen to me:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=14764.0

Tom Collitt, you say? I think I've read some of his posts. I'll keep an eye out.

I'm thinking it's going to be at least a year before I've saved enough to buy a 113 with extra for maintenance/repairs. I'm estimating about 30k USD for the initial purchase price.

Thanks again

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 22:35:27 »
The small fender notch isn't much of an indication of anything. I don't have them on my car but I could go and put them on right now with a file - big deal. Original fenders don't actually have the notch in the steel and it's added later in the lead or body filler because it's where the seam is located.
There are no repro fenders available that I know of. There are patch panels and half 1/4 panels available but you can still buy sheet metal for the whole car right from MB.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC