Author Topic: Can we subscribe the thread starters to their threads?  (Read 12833 times)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Can we subscribe the thread starters to their threads?
« on: August 02, 2011, 19:18:01 »
On this and on many other forums I see users start a thread and then never come back to comment on the advice people gave, or the questions people asked.  Can the forum software be set to subscribe the thread starter to their thread?  That way, they get e-mail reminders every time someone responds to the thread they started.  This would be most helpful on the For Sale forum, but in general it would help in all forums.

Let me know your thoughts.

Rodd
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Can we subscribe the thread starters to their threads?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 20:22:43 »
I think it already does.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 23:25:41 »
I had to select it when starting this thread.
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:08:21 »
This site works best for those who are computer savvy. That's not me and it's probably not a lot of people. Even for those who know how to post pictures, it's apparently more difficult to do it here than on other sites. I have no idea about this or what's behind it, but I'm pretty sure it's happening because we see examples once in a while.

It's one of those things that happen with an internet based forum. Some people won't be up to speed or have the equipment to keep up and will be left out, or left behind. I'm sure it's not intentional but I'm also sure there are at least some members here who are not able to interact at their own personal level due to these very reasons.

It makes me wonder sometime if this is a web site about cars and computers because it helps to know about both of them. However, since it is about cars and not computers, how do we move forward when this is the vehicle we use and only some of us know how to drive?   
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:11:20 »
Go to your profile and check the settings in "notification and email"  Check both boxes and chose "replies and moderation"  Then it should work.  Maybe...
That is what mine is set at and I don't have to do anything extra when I start a post.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 17:59:41 »
Dan,
I'm just talking about getting people subscribed to their own threads automatically.  Problem is, people start a thread with "Hay, I've got a bunch of parts for sale."  Then, when people reply to the thread asking for details, there is no answer.  Auto-subscribe would put an e-mail in their inbox everytime a reply is posted to the thread they started.  It should be something webmaster can do in the background - no user action or knowledge required.

Badali,
Can we set those options as default on all users' accounts?

Thanks,
Rodd
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 18:04:45 »
I think the web master would have to make the default settings.  Did you get it to work for your posts?  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 16:07:34 by badali »
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 15:35:33 »
how do we move forward when this is the vehicle we use and only some of us know how to drive?  

Learn to drive???

Now, seriously, there are no problems until there are.  I have no issues posting pictures, once I figured it out.  But various combinations of browsers, computers, and operating systems render the situation impossible to make work for every possible combination.  Vast improvements were made in the process, specifically related to size which is a big issue, since even the smallest and crappiest of cell-phone pictures will have a size greater than what used to be allowed.

I'm running the latest version* of IE Explorer, IE 8 for Win XP (which Peter and the Apple crowd will tell you is my first problem) and that doesn't work 100% on our forum until you click a little button called "Compatibility View".  http://webdesign.about.com/od/internetexplorer/f/what-is-ie-compatibility-view.htm  Once I figured that out things are better.

One thing I can tell you: older slower computers, with older slower browsers, and dial-up service will most certainly give you trouble.  We had a guy in our MBCA section with Win95, dial-up, hardly any memory or disk space, and had all kinds of issues even getting modern email!  Nothing we could do to help him; stubborn old guy refused to update his computer and instead preferred to complain.  He finally decided that the best solution was to use the computers at the public library...

If you choose to communicate in the modern world, you need modern tools.  It's all about choices.  When you were farming Dan, you used modern tools, right?  The Amish in central Michigan are using a horse, two kids, and ploughs out of the 19th century...all while their neighbors hire crop dusters flying modern planes...it is quite a juxtaposition to see these Amish kids plow a field, and a crop duster behind them.

*does not include IE for Windows 7.  I don't have enough computer resources to update to Win 7.  A Mac is next anyway.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 15:38:39 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 18:22:28 »
Funny you should bring farming into the equation - something I'm pretty sure you would know nothing about. I'm using older farm equipment because it stll does the job for me. I don't need a $350,000.00 combine to do 300 acres each year!
 I have 6 tractors built between 1952 and 1995 - they all get used but all for different jobs. When we had cattle we had twice as much equipent. How much is enough? And further to that, how new does it have to be?

You seem to be saying, '' Get with the modern world. ''  If that was the way all things work none of this would even exsist. No one would even want or own old cars. What is motre important to the membes here? Computer information or information about their cars?

I'm running a P4 with window XP and it should be all I need right now. However, doesn't mean I know how to use it and I'm still on dial up out here.

I have very little in the way of modern equipment in my shop. My old tools work just fine working on old cars. If I need something new I get it. After close 35 years working on cars I think I've had time to get what I need.

I think it's important to note that not everyone has a computer. If you don't have one you're not likely to be here on this forum. Most people over the age of 55 didn't grow up with computers and a lot of these people have no idea how to run one either. A lot of these folks also own old cars. Yes, they know how to drive and also own modern cars but they probably wouldn't have clue one how all that modern stuff works. So, are they with the times or like the Amish?

My point is simple. A web based club is both good and bad at the same time. It works for those who know how to use it and it doesn't work as well for those who don't. Putting all of our eggs into one basket ( the web site ) has certain limiations but that's a different topic.   
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 18:59:01 »
Your old combine, regardless of age,  is certainly more modern than the Amish's 1890 plough...and the one horsepower it takes.

If you have a modern (enough) computer, and you do--just learn how to use it a bit better.  Education never stops.  Take a class.  Buy some books.  I have a shelf full of manuals on all the software I use; I generally pull one or more out daily to learn something new, or re-learn something I forgot.  There is very little to this forum or website you can't figure out by clicking the mouse or asking how.  You learned all you do from doing it on cars, I believe, so you can do the same on the computer.

The forum software, though modified by Peter for our use, is by "Simple Machines"; have you seen that at the bottom of the pages?  They have a website with technical support and a how to guide... http://wiki.simplemachines.org/  Maybe poke around there for a little more info.  There's plenty of forums and what have you, on Windows XP too.  Just have to go looking and want to solve your own problems...keep in mind that dial-up at 56K is kind of limiting however, with many websites out there.

And yes, if you don't have a computer; don't know how to use one, or whatever it is unlikely anything on this forum is going to help you.  The days of learning about your old posessions and how to maintain them now involve computers.  You won't get far writing letters to companies on paper any more, I'm afraid, nor delving into much at the public library--except their computers.

Events like the European event of last year; the every two year PUB; the coming Australian event; and even your meeting of the clans take what amounts to an internet "club" into the real world.  You just have to be there.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 21:34:24 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 21:37:24 »
I tend to learn about things as they happen or I feel a need to know about them. It works well with what I'm doing. I'm either interested in something or I'm not. I have only passing interest in computers - it's a tool I use and that's about it. If you were more interested than me and saw a reason to learn all you could, good for you. 8) If I had a job that depended on my knowing more about that stuff, then I would indeed do that.
 Most people know how to log on to the net and send email. I'm talking about the finer details - kind of like engine tuning and things that require more knowledge than how to change your oil and filter.

Who says the Amish aren't doing it right? They spend very little money on inputs, no TV, no computers, no internet, no phones, most have no electricity, no tractors, no combines, maybe no running water or plumbing. They live comfortably without a lot of the things we take for granted. And they might even make more money than we do because of it. They help each other out and pool their rescourses - they add almost zero burden to any public debt and ask for nothing from the rest of us except to be left alone to live the way they want. Compared to many parts of the world, they ARE modern.

Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 23:12:44 »
On this and on many other forums I see users start a thread and then never come back to comment on the advice people gave, or the questions people asked.  Can the forum software be set to subscribe the thread starter to their thread?  That way, they get e-mail reminders every time someone responds to the thread they started.  This would be most helpful on the For Sale forum, but in general it would help in all forums.

I'm afraid the forum software we use has no option to enforce that automatically. Then again, I would imagine most frequent posters would hate it if that option was set by default.

When the "Additional Options" link is clicked (the same one to reveal Attachments for pictures) there is a selection field allowing you to choose "Notify me of replies" which does provide the functionality Rodd asks about. Funnily enough, people who post on the for sale forum and do not check back are not regular members and seem to think we are a sort of Craigs-list, so I would not worry about it too much.

Then on picture posting functionality again... this is a standard forum software package. I selected it because it was the only software available that could take across some 40000 messages and topics intact to the new system when the old one croaked to a halt. It so far has survived adding a membership system and two moves to different hosting providers. I am the only person maintaining it, I do not get paid for my efforts, and have a day job. I will not be able to address the picture posting functionality.

If you still use dial-up, I am sorry, you will be disappointed. You are part of a 2% minority.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 23:14:59 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 15:06:58 »
Peter,
I, and many others, appreciate all you do for this Forum/website.
Frankly, without you, I wonder what the state of sl113.org would be.
Thank you for all of your effort, time, and expertise.
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 22:48:25 »
Peter,
I, and many others, appreciate all you do for this Forum/website.
Frankly, without you, I wonder what the state of sl113.org would be.
Thank you for all of your effort, time, and expertise.

Here, here!   Peter does a fabulous job, and we do not know the half of it!  The forum works exceedingly well, and is plenty robust too.  Perfect, no.  But a whole lot better than many websites and forums.

Have you thanked your admin today?
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid