Author Topic: Replacing the radio with a out of sight amp  (Read 5288 times)

ricrose

Replacing the radio with a out of sight amp
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:15 »
When i bought my 230sl it had a terrible black radio in the dash. In addition the opening had been made to take the 2" DIN radio (which meant they got rid of the bottom dash trim as well!).
I have read all the threads re Becker radios - trying to work out what to do, but it seemed that even if I spent the money and got the correct radio and welded up the dash there would be a chance I would not be happy with the volume or sound.
Seeing Garry's 280sl with a radio delete plate made me realise how good the clean option of the plate was. I got a delete plate from Germany and used it to make a slightly larger one out of 3mm bevelled aluminium - relocating the badge to the made up plate. It looks great and one day - when I'm welding/restoring the car I will get it back to original.
To overcome the music I got a 'motorcycle amp' off eBay for about $20.00 delivered and wired it up to the existing speakers, painting it matt black and putting it loosly in the console. You are able to plug in an MP3 player (like an iPod) and the sound is great . If I don't want it seen I simply put it under one of the parcel shelves.

Just thought I would share my solution as someone may have a similar dilemma.
Also if anyone has a dash trim I'm in the market!

Richard Rose
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 19:49:17 by ricrose »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Replacing the radio with a out of sight amp
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:43:54 »
Hi Richard,

I am in Blacklick and Joe doesn't have a parts Pagoda that may have had the lower dash trim.

If anyone attending PUB has one, I am happy to carry it back to Australia for Richard so bring it along to Blacklick.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

ricrose

Re: Replacing the radio with a out of sight amp
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 21:19:07 »
Hi Gary

Thanks for asking -- enjoy Blacklick, hope your back holds out in that E-Type!

Cheers
Richard