Author Topic: So We Went to a Car Show Today  (Read 8938 times)

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
So We Went to a Car Show Today
« on: July 09, 2011, 23:03:52 »
I took Anthracite to the annual Deutche Classic car show today in Fleetwood, PA which features German made cars. Porsche, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. There were also German motorcycles that participated.

I'm guessing there were between three and four hundred motor vehicle there but I could be wrong.

We arrived at 8:00 this morning after a nice drive through the back roads as "Judy" my GPS system guided me through the 15 or so miles to the event. The weather yesterday was rainy and last night it was overcast with high humidity. This morning at 4:30 I could tell it would be a nice day even though there was a little fog in the air. The weather was going to be sunny all day with lower humidity as the day progressed.

When we arrived this morning there were only a dozen or so cars ahead of me at the event which I thought was strange. The last time I was there I was one of the last Mercedes to show up and this time I was the first. Anthracite was parked in the same spot she was in two years ago, under the trees and in the shade.

There were a lot of nice comments on the car from the people that looked at her like: very classic, awesome, very beautiful, very nice, I love your car, I used to have one similar to this, we had one of these in Germany back in the early 70's, and too many more to recount.

There was a Mercedes Gullwing, a 2 door 1960 220SE model in black, a 1956 190SL, and a total of 32 Mercedes cars in the line up. I said to myself this is some tough competition.

After the judges came around, they had very big smiles on their faces as they looked over my car, I thought I'm good for a trophy at least.

Three o'clock and the announcement of the trophies starts to take place. They went through each German mark and awarded third, then second, and then first place for the make. Then they came the Mercedes line up. I thought this was my big chance for a trophy. Third place was the car to the left of me, second went to the car that usually got first place in the Mercedes line up, first went to the 1963 190SL that was to my right.

At that point I was pretty bummed out not getting a trophy in the Mercedes line up but said to myself she put a lot of smiles on everyone's face as they admired her and that was good for me. I was glad to have so many people admire and comment about her.

After all of the trophies for the various marks were handed out they started to award trophies for the best under carriage. I thought well maybe I could win that one. Nope it went to a Volkswagen. Then there was a trophy for the best exterior, nope that went to someone else. Then there was the trophy for the best engine compartment, nope went to someone else, bummer I thought!

The final trophy was announced for the "best of show", I didn't know they had such a classification, must be a new event for them I thought,

As the announcer called it out "the best of show trophy sponsored by Transportation Emporium goes to . . . . . . . .  a 1971 . . . . . . . . Mercedes Benz . . . . . . . . . from Birdsboro, PA . . . . . . . . . . owned by . . . . . . . . Bob Steele"

I was awe struck as there were so many cars at the event. Here are some pictures of the trophy:

Anthracite did good today I'm proud of her for what she is.

Regards,

280SE Guy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 15:30:40 by 280SE Guy »
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: So We Went to a Car Show Today
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 23:15:14 »
Congratulations!

Are you planning to drive it to PUB? Would love to admire it up close.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 23:40:23 »
What a nice achievement, especially when you didn't expect it.

John
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 23:47:08 »
Thanks for the kind remarks. Unfortunately I will not be bringing Anthracite to PUB as I have promised to carry the hard top for Garry Mark's XKE to Blacklick from Pennsylvania for him in my 4Runner.

I would love to show her to the group.

Maybe next time . . .

Regards,

280SE Guy

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 23:54:41 »
Congratulations!  Thanks for sharing.  Kind of makes all those sore fingertips and muscle aches from polishing the chrome worthwhile doesn't it?
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 00:01:44 »
Thanks for the kind remarks. Unfortunately I will not be bringing Anthracite to PUB as I have promised to carry the hard top for Garry Mark's XKE to Blacklick from Pennsylvania for him in my 4Runner.

You sure it won't fit in the trunk of the w108? It's fairly large... and the XKE's hardtop is smaller than our pagoda hardtops.

Seriously though , the trunk of my w111 coupe is huge. No wonder so many movies from the 60s featured bad guys driving a w108... easy to pile in the bodies back there.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 15:20:47 »
Great job, congratulations, and what a cool trophy!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 15:34:53 »
Thanks guys. It was a good day.

Here is a link to the Northeast Pennsylvania's Mercedes web site and some more of the story on the Deutsche Classic car show.

http://www.mbca-nepa.org/deutscheclassic.html

Pay no attention to the dust on the car at the end of the day. The grounds were dry and since I was there at 8:00 in the morning all of the show cars passed in front of me as they made their way onto the show field.

Regards,

280SE Guy

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 03:18:54 »
Awesome! What a classy looking car to go with the trophy!
James
63 230SL

StlCardFan

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 11:29:24 »
Wow, very cool.  Congratulations.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 19:45:44 »
Since I have seen Anthracite's pictures that have been posted, I am NOT surprised he won. His car is one, if not THE best original I have ever seen. He should win every show. It is proof of his commitment to keep the car in pristine condition since he has owned it (a long time).

I have used it many times as a reference for restoration tips on my 111!  
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 20:18:15 »
Hey Wallace,

That's funny, I just sent a reply to an email from Tom Hanson at the Classic Center in California and he stated that they refer to these cars as "he" not "she". I told him I was married once, been there - done that, so I refer to Anthracite as a "she", you got to take care of your woman, right?

Just edited and added:

The Mercedes line was named after a very beautiful an young female by the name of Mercedes if I'm not mistaken:

On 16th September 1889, a third child was born to businessman Emil Jellinek in Vienna. Rachel and Emil Jellinek gave their daughter a Spanish Christian name which means "grace" and later became world-famous: Mercedes. Emil Jellinek moved his operations to Nice, taking his family with him. As Mercedes grew up, her father developed a passionate interest in automobiles, then in their infancy, and it was not long before the Daimler-Motoren Gesellschaft caught his attention. In 1893, Emil Jellinek travelled to Cannstatt and made the acquaintance of Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach. In the years which followed he bought a number of Daimler vehicles. In 1898,Jellinek ordered a Daimler Phoenix, requesting it to be delivered with a four-cylinder engine. He then drove the car in the Tour de Nice.
Since it was chic at the time to enter automobile competitions under a pseudonym, Jellinek appeared in the competitors' lists under the name Mercedes. Emil Jellinek first won the Tour de Nice on 21st March 1899, when his daughter was just nine and a half years old.

Thanks for the kind remarks Wallace, but if you don't all mind I'll refer to Anthracite in the female gender  :)

Regards,

280SE Guy

PS: did you get the CD of the factory photo's yet?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 20:49:51 by 280SE Guy »