Author Topic: Pagoda Style - The Book UPDATE  (Read 34051 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Pagoda Style - The Book UPDATE
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:52:58 »
Contributors--a note will be going out today or tomorrow from my email list to the personal email I have on file for you.  The last of the contributors page set will be complete today or tomorrow.  Then begins the edit process, as well as assembling the "other" pages such as title, cover, etc.

Two contributors experienced personal issues in the past year that prevented adequate and sufficient contributions; one was resolved and completed, and one suggested removal from the book.

As editor I have two choices--removal and replacement with another contributor; removal and replacement with something else, or leaving as is.  The latter would not be a first choice: insufficient material relative to the other contributors.  The "something else" can be put together rather quickly; I have a lot of information and early-generation sketches on the Pagoda which would provide very interesting visuals.  However, if there is one more who wants inclusion and can move quickly (we are talking very quick here...) please PM me, my email is located in my member detail.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 19:22:38 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MichaelB.

Re: Pagoda Style - The Book UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 19:32:53 »
I have bought 3 coffee tables (so far) for this book to adorn since the books inception... Sure hope its as good as I want it to be - as I am still excited  :)

douglas dees

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 20:28:46 »
Michael: I have ordered 2 books and look froward to seeing the finished product. If there is not another quality contributor, you may wish to close the file on this although I realize there is a page layout issue that you need to address with a quality filler.
doug Dees

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 20:49:47 »
Book will not be delayed pending another contributor, but if one comes up and can work within the short time frame, we'll make it work.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

peterm

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 14:18:14 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KuDPfTfw6w

let us know when the book tour starts

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 17:53:23 »
Given general experience of the time it takes to get contributors to produce quality copy and photographs, I am much in favour of the book being completed. Should this lead to a (small) financial shortfall I am sure the board of the Pagoda SL Group would be in favour of funding the shortfall to allow completion within a short timeframe to proceed.

I suggest very strongly therefore that you finish the book and not let another "joiner"  delay the process further to the disadvantage of the original contributors.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 18:48:03 »

I suggest very strongly therefore that you finish the book and not let another "joiner"  delay the process further to the disadvantage of the original contributors.

Peter

Hear, hear

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 19:03:08 »
Thank you for your opinions.

Only one two people have come forward, and it is doubtful they could meet a quick turn around; one begged off quickly.

There were 65 people I'm dealing with here, and most have been pretty prompt in response when needed.  Some can't seem to ever find that darn "reply" button I find at the top of each email.

The two remaining pages will be filled with my backup plan already in the works, everyone will be quite pleased with these two new pages.  Therefore, the book will not be delayed because of any contributors now.

The note to the contributors and early adoptor buyers went out; if you find yourself in this category w/o a personal email note from me, by all means PM me immediately.  Some email addresses might have fallen through the cracks and not made it to the distribution list (which is different than the individual contact information I have for you) and I'll need to do an update.

I did get a response from a few of you for editing help, and I'll be back at you folks shortly.  Divide and conquer!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 22:14:55 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 00:21:08 »
Michael: I have ordered 2 books and look froward to seeing the finished product. If there is not another quality contributor, you may wish to close the file on this although I realize there is a page layout issue that you need to address with a quality filler.

Sorry Michael,

That I jumped in here ...
Though I have not contributed to the book and thus, I should not make any comments on its finishing process... but I am sure this will be an excellent collection of really nice pics of timepieces.

But nevertheless,
I think a very few pictures should be included from John's ("49er") completely factory original engine bay pics. He took one colored pic of this former 250 SL dated from 1967 and two from his current '68 280. All were taken when the cars were new and thus, the engine bays were completeley factory-untouched. These are of highest value as possible for us, the Pagoda community.
These are not my pics and I did not take them. Let me recommend that you both communicate about this with each other.

Thanks a lot.

Just my humble 2 cents...

Achim
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 13:12:22 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 00:30:56 »

I think a very few pictures should be included from John's ("49er") completely factory original engine bay pics. He took one colored pic of this former 250 SL dated from 1967 and two from his current '68 280. All were taken when the car was new and thus, the engine bays were completeley factory-untouched. These are of highest value as possible for us, the Pagoda community.
These are not my pics and I did not take them. Let me recommend that you both communicate about this wich each other.

Just my humble 2 cents...

Achim

Michael, I  would be more then happy to send you these engine compartment photos if you are interested.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

douglas dees

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 14:08:50 »
Michael, I  would be more then happy to send you these engine compartment photos if you are interested.

John
Michael: I had the pleasure of seeing the car last year and it is worthy of being included. It is a wonderful orginal.
Doug Dees

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 23:14:53 »
Thank you to our friends George Henne, Jon Bernardi, and Walt Klatt.  These three men stepped up to be proofreaders, and we are devising a plan now.  If and when you see these guys in your travels, thank them so it isn't a thankless job!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

peterm

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 01:12:33 »
Mike- Any news- let me know if I can be of help!

Peterm

peterm

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 15:45:01 »
Got an update from Mike- he's really close to finished and just a few days of work remain.  Buy those coffee tables now soon we'll have a book for them.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:18 »
The Pagoda Style book is at the printers!  It will be printed in November, and I suspect delivery to me in late November or the very earliest of December.  The printer has to do a round of proofing and preflight (a technical printing term) prior to actual printing and manufacturing.

In mid November, I will be going through and preparing the shipment information in advance of the books coming here.  I will verify each shipping address in advance with each contributor/buyer.  If there are any special shipping requests I will endeavor to honor them, but don't post them here, wait until you hear from me privately.  All books will be individually shrink-wrapped at the printer to protect them.

USA based shipments will go USPS MEDIA mail, with tracking.
Overseas shipments will go "best way" via the USPS.

Until I have the actual books in hand, with the fully packaged weight I will not know what that best method is.  They will probably end up going via ISAL M-Bags; regular M-Bags, or they might have to be shipped individually by first class airmail which has a 4 pound weight limit.  Whatever is least costly will be the shipping method.

An M-Bag is simply a bag to hold up to 11 pounds of books or printed matter and sent to one address.
An ISAL M-Bag is a presort, and sends packages to the destination country, and then places the parcels in the local mail system.

Probably all books will be in your hands by mid-December.

There WILL be extra books available to existing contributors (some asked for an additional copy or more), as well as group members and visitors here.  The pricing, delivery and fulfillment means have not been decided yet for these extra books.  When this information is decided it will be posted.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 17:37:01 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 17:41:24 »
Huuurrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaayyy!!!!!!

:D

Must be a good feeling Mike - thanks for all the hard work ...
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

MichaelB.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 18:11:27 »
Ohh its been a long road. But I am still full of anticipation! Well done.

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 18:39:18 »
Zippity Doo Dah
Zippity Ay
My oh my
......... ;D

I won't sing the rest until I am holding the book in my hands! ;)

Thank you, Michael

PS: That's two Pagoda books I hope to open for Christmas.
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 18:48:09 »
its been a long road

By my count, about as long as the restoration on my car, with twice as many hours...but I stopped counting.
By the numbers (hey, it's from the End Notes, page 144)

...I have over 2,500 individual emails comprising the bulk of communications on the project, to and from the more than 70 contributors. The contributions came in piecemeal, and were stored on two external hard drives. At the end, the raw material was over 6,200 photos in 160 folders comprising over 90 GB of data. The design process involved 71 double page layout files, along with 2 single page layout files and one larger file for the dust jacket. The raw material was distilled down in the design process to just 9 GB of data; this is 1,700 files spread over 500 folders...

...and that is what was sent to the printers.  All fit on on small hard drive.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

69 280

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 20:05:07 »
Good morning,
Is this a closed order? Or am I able to put in for a copy please.
Cheers

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 20:17:23 »
Good morning,
Is this a closed order? Or am I able to put in for a copy please.
Cheers

Dear Cheers, (I don't know your name...)

As mentioned...

There WILL be extra books available to existing contributors (some asked for an additional copy or more), as well as group members and visitors here.  The pricing, delivery and fulfillment means have not been decided yet for these extra books.  When this information is decided it will be posted.

Nobody who wants to buy a book will be denied a purchase; everybody who wants one WILL be able to buy one--or more.  Orders are not closed, they have not even opened beyond the initial contributors and early adopter buyers...  Just stay tuned...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 22:34:39 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

GTMSJ

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 19:39:20 »
Michael --

Reading your post made my day as it's definitely been a long time coming!  Thanks for perservering on what must have truely been a daunting project. Now if I can only wait a bit longer...

Gary

hank sound

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 03:57:04 »
Hi Michael,

For well over 40 years, I've loved the Pagoda cars.   Well finally I bought one, and her name is  Ingrid, a 69 280SL.   New ownership of any car, can make car people nuts. Available books pertaining to that car, we buy (and so much more).    But it's rare when a book is compiled by numerous contributing fans of one particular car, as opposed to a book by one contributor, expressing his/her observations with photos by many others.    But then, what do I know, as I am a retired motion picture film sound mixer, not a "car business person".   So, since your new book is comprised of many levels, by input from many Pagoda owners and many of the people who keep them running (pedestrian) or those that restore them to perfection (concours),.............. what the hey - as I see it, this book is the real deal !!!   I'm truly looking forward to having it in my home, on the coffee table right in front of me ! ;D

Cheers, Hank
hankgarfield@sbcglobal.net

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 02:17:19 »
Ohh its been a long road. But I am still full of anticipation! Well done.

Me too and I'm sure none of us can comprehend the amount of effort that has gone into this project. 

Thanks Mike!
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 10:16:11 »
Me too and I'm sure none of us can comprehend the amount of effort that has gone into this project. 

...well, at least two people, Jon Bernardi and George Henne have an inkling of the effort--as they together proofread the entire book!  Also, the book in 98% complete full color, and full sized "comp" (a design term) form was brought to PUB in late July--therefore those who looked at it there got a good idea as well.

Right now I'm waiting for the set of proofs to come back.  The printer has ordered the materials; preproduction is in process as we speak.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid